Who will die in The Winds of Winter?

Rickyhunt

Lots of good choices and reasons for.    To either of the Boltons dying...I am one of those in the "Boltons are some sort of supernatural" camp.   With this in mind, if Roose is killed off how can we possibly find out what sort of supernatural they are through Ramsay, so I say kill the boy in this instance.    I'm thinking Cersei is going to meet her end in Winds--I don't her her ability to rally much support or power in this vacuum.   She's such a petty and vindictive thing.   Now if she were to have actually learned something from her imprisonment and Walk, like being smarter about her moves then maybe she has a chance.   But I doubt it.    I think Jorah is near the end of his story too.   There are many characters who seem to have made their mark or simply run out of steam so it's easy for me to write them off.   One of the Greyjoys needs to triumph in Winds.   I think the Frey dynasty is sure to end.  And it's about time for LSH to pass her gift on to someone else and finally receive the gift of true mercy.   As much as I couldn't stand Cat, this thing she became is no credit to her character at all.   In the HOPE category, oh please give me some cracks in LF's plans and a righteous vengeance throughout the North and Riverlands.      

• 3 weeks later...

I have what I hope is a new theory about Mellisandre, which will ultimately mean her death will come soon.  First, there is a missing link in her history between being a slave and becoming a powerful red priestess.  Something had to happen that freed her as a slave and turned her to the red God. My theory is that this event was her death.  An unknown red follower may have given her the kiss of life just like Thoros did with Beric.  To back this up, Mel mentions many times that the lord of light is inside of her and we see that she exudes heat physically.  This may also explain how she is much older than she appears.  When Catelyn was reborn as SH, her body was in a rapid state of decay which stopped at rebirth.  She needs not food or water to live clearly since her throat would not be able to eat or drink. Mel states that she needs not food either, just the red light of God. 

With this in mind, I think that Mel will pass her fire to Jon Snow just like Beric did with Cat.  This would be a sacrifice on her part which seems fitting with both her character and with the tale of Azor Ahai and Nissa Nissa. 

As much as I would like to see Mel at the wall when the Others come and use her fire magic to help defeat them, I feel that her arch is coming to an end.  Especially if Stannis does not survive the Battle of Ice. 

This is my first post so let me know what you think or if this has come up before.

21 hours ago, cutuphalfdead said:

I'm pretty sure we know from the text that she was indeed a slave at some point. Doesn't she have flashbacks to being on the auction block at one point?

We know she was but what if she was never freed. The work she is doing could be an order from her masters, in asshai or volantis, of the red temple.  She definitely would be a willing slave.  It's interesting to note that she does wear a collar at all times.

On 2/1/2016 at 7:46 PM, cutuphalfdead said:

I'm pretty sure we know from the text that she was indeed a slave at some point. Doesn't she have flashbacks to being on the auction block at one point?

While searching for the Prince that was Promised and/or the Girl in Grey in her fires, Melisandre sees a vision from the past about someone named "Melony" at "Lot 7", presumably an auction block of some kind.  Most readers assume this has to do with her own past, and not with the past of the person she is looking for.  But that is unclear.

It could be that Melony and the Girl in Grey are the same person, past and future.

On 2/1/2016 at 4:55 PM, RougeWalker said:

We know she was but what if she was never freed. The work she is doing could be an order from her masters, in asshai or volantis, of the red temple.  She definitely would be a willing slave.  It's interesting to note that she does wear a collar at all times.

I was always under the impression that slaves of the red temple had a different master/slave relationship than that between other slaves and their owners. I thought the red temple slaves were purchased as children and indoctrinated, and see themselves as slaves to r'hlor not simply because they were purchased but because now they have that level of religious devotion. I can't see any red temple slave that is now an adult would even want to be "freed" or would even understand the concept.

Victarion Greyjoy, Barristan, Dario, Hizdahr, Kharl Pono, Green Grace, Brown Ben Plum, Ilyrio Mopatis, Peter Baelish, Harry Hardying, Ramsay Bolton, Raff, Ser Harys Swyft, Tommen, Myrcella, Margery, Garlan, Loras, Walder Frey + most but not all other Freys, Shireen, Aegon Blackfyre/whatever, Jon Conington, Euron Greyjoy, Bowan Marsh+co conspirators, Balon Swann, Areo Hotah, Nym, Obarra, The guy who loved Rhaella who is controlling Harrenhall, Jeyne Westerling, Edmure Tully, Daven Lannister, Genna Lannister, Lancel Lannister, and all 3 of the younger Kettleblacks.

Maybe's include but are not limited to Lady Stoneheart, Brienne, Roose, Sr Kettleblack, everyone else in Tommens Kingsguard, Sandor Clegane, Nestor Royce, Blackfish, Doran Martell, High Sparrow, Strickland and all other Golden Company officers, Jorah, and Cersei+Jaime.

NO way then atleast 2 needs to die every chapter mate.

Archived