Tolkien vs. GRRM: A Battle of Complex Characters

Mithras

Tolkien had plenty of complex characters. Gollum, Denethor, Theoden, Boromir and many others were very grey iirc. Maybe not as many as ASOIAF, but those who say LotR was totally black and white are mistaken.

Ultimately complex characters aren't the only component that makes a series great. Martin beats Tolkien in some aspects, but Tolkien beats Martin in just as many if not more. Martin is also a bit more readable especially from a 2010s perspective, but LOTR and the Legendarium is a greater work, imo.

But if we're strictly speaking of characters, I do actually prefer Martins. I haven't bonded with any Tolkien character as much as I have Jaime, Sansa, Bran etc.

That's kinda how it is.

Tolkien has few grey characters. Then again, even Melkor, Sauron or Saruman weren't always purely evil.

The important thing is that Tolkien wanted to invent a mythology, not write a fantasy novel in today's sense.

Most of Martin's characters are grey, all in different shades. Some are almost black (or completely).

I know perfect heroes are boring, but I wouldn't mind a few more almost white characters.

I think both creat the more interesting characters by accident, rather than by design, though I admit that most of my knowledge of Tolkein's world is from the movies. I only read the Hobbit when I was younger, and some wiki-digging for stuff that was edited out of the movies or was in other books. 

But if we're strictly speaking of characters, I do actually prefer Martins. I haven't bonded with any Tolkien character as much as I have Jaime, Sansa, Bran etc.

That might be because of the POV structure of George instead of omnipotent narrator.

Are any of George's characters half as complex as Feanor or Turin or Hurin?

Whoah whoah whoah. 

I agree with everything peeps like Fat Mac and Scootaloo say.  Tolkien created plenty of round characters with moral complexity.  The thing is that Tolkien would not call them "grey".  Tolkien has a different view on good, evil, and judging actions and people.  Tolkien is old school so he's probably virtue ethics based or catholic ethics based.  I tend to believe he would say that you couldn't completely judge a character until they are dead, or the last page of the book. 

That said, George's characters ARE more complex then Tolkien's, because Tolkien and George are writing different kinds of novels.  Tolkien was fantasy patterned on "myth", with a flavor like Beowulf or The Nibelungenlied.  Martin is writing a fantasy patterned on the basic (historical) novel, like The Three Musketeers, or War and Peace.  Hence Martin's characters would be, and are IMO, much "rounder" and more detailed than Tolkien's. 

So yeah, I'd say Tyrion, Arya, Ned, Robert, and company, are just as complex, if not far far more, than Turin, Hurin, or Feanor.  Tolkien's most round characters are in LOTR anyway. 

Not true, Tolkien did typically write from a more macro oriented perspective, but if you read the Silmarillion, you get the complexity, Galadriel had visions of ruling her own land, but that's not seen the Lord of the Rings, I mean, her ambition is not. The Lord of the Rings was a very specific instance in a history, but at the earlier stages, Isildur, ruled by pride sought dominion over the One Ring.

Just because Tolkien didn't get into the grungy sex of it all, didn't vividly describe what happened to those captured by Orcs, doesn't mean the characters aren't complex, he's just zoomed out, you have to read all the ancillary works to see the flaws in the characters.

A battle that GRRM certainly wins, in my opinion. Tolkien's work has (rightfully) earned him the title of father of the modern fantasy; but his characters aren't as complex and fleshed out as Martin's. It's a matter of personal experience as well: I just can't feel any of the Tolkien's characters as good as I feel e.g. Arya, Jaime, Tyrion, Catelyn, Theon, Dany, Robb etc.

You can't really have an epic author battle because they work in tandem.

I have come to the conclusion that for the high-systematizers, there is no such thing as an epic battle that you cannot have.  Enterprise vs Star Destroyer, Drogon vs Jet Fighters, Spartans vs Zulus, Jesus Christ vs Cthulu.  It's all in bounds, and the answer is "42". 

I have come to the conclusion that for the high-systematizers, there is no such thing as an epic battle that you cannot have.  Enterprise vs Star Destroyer, Drogon vs Jet Fighters, Spartans vs Zulus, Jesus Christ vs Cthulu.  It's all in bounds, and the answer is "42"

Add some sex scene's and people will watch the heck out of this. 

That's kinda how it is.

Tolkien has few grey characters. Then again, even Melkor, Sauron or Saruman weren't always purely evil.

The important thing is that Tolkien wanted to invent a mythology, not write a fantasy novel in today's sense.

Most of Martin's characters are grey, all in different shades. Some are almost black (or completely).

I know perfect heroes are boring, but I wouldn't mind a few more almost white characters.

#teamDavos #teamBrienne #teamJon #teamSam #teamGendry #teamNedDayne #teamCrannog #teammaesterLuwin,Aemon

Sansa might make the list before it's all said and done. Any others? These are my "basically do what they know to be right at all times" list. I am sure there are more. ;)

I have come to the conclusion that for the high-systematizers, there is no such thing as an epic battle that you cannot have.  Enterprise vs Star Destroyer, Drogon vs Jet Fighters, Spartans vs Zulus, Jesus Christ vs Cthulu.  It's all in bounds, and the answer is "42". 

All battles fought in room 237.  :devil:

Archived