Three Fires, Three Mounts, and Three Treasons....

DaSh!t

... Three heads has the dragon... the ghost chorus yammered inside her skull with never a lip moving, never a breath stirring the still blue air ... "mother of dragons* ... child of storm ... The whispers became a swirling song ... three fires must you light ... one for life and one for death and one to love ... Her own heart was beating in unison to the one that floated before her, blue and corrupt ... three mounts must you ride ... one to bed and one to dread and one to love ... The voices were growing louder she realized, and it seemed her heart was slowing, and ever her breath ... three treasons will you know ... once for blood and once for gold and once for love ...

• Three Fires: One for life, one for death, one to love

• Three Mounts: To bed, to dread, and to love.

• Three Treasons: Blood, Gold and Love.

Could the be

Three Fires:

One for life is her dragons

One for Death is Drogo

One TO Love is could it be that she lights a fire that leads her to love?? or is it Daario maybe?

Three Mounts: These mounts could refer to two different things generally speaking. It could mean a literal mount like a horse, or more likely a lover.

To Bed is Drogo or Silver

To Dread may be Hizdahr or Drogon

To love may be Jon or a Ship leading her to Westeros?

Three Treasons:

One for Blood is Mirri Maz Duur

One for Gold is Brown Plum

One for Love is Aegon

what are your opinions?

My favorite theory:

Only one-third of the prophecies  are about Dany. It is the three heads of the dragon who must do all the things mentioned in the prophecy. Assumig the three heads are Dany, Jon and Tyrion,

three fires must you light - one for life, one for death, and one to love.

for life - Dany hatching the dragons

for death - Tyrion burning the Blackwater, nearly getting killed himself in the process

to love - Jon burning Ygritte.

three mounts must you ride - one to bed, one to dread, and one to love

to bed - Dany riding her silver on her wedding day

to dread - Jon or Tyrion. I think it is Jon, and this ride is yet to come.

to love - Jon or Tyrion. I think this is Tyrion, and he will go riding a dragon to find a woman he loves. (Logical assumption is Tysha, though I'm hoping for Sansa in Eyrie)

three treasons shall you know - one for blood, one for gold, and one for love.

for blood - Illyrio(or the GC) betraying Dany for Aegon (who is Illyrio's blood relative)

for gold - Shae betraying Tyrion for the promise of riches from Cersei

for love - Ned betraying Jon for his love of Lyanna and Robert. Or the mutineers betraying Jon out of their love for the Watch?

My favorite theory:
Only one-third of the prophecies  are about Dany. It is the three heads of the dragon who must do all the things mentioned in the prophecy. Assumig the three heads are Dany, Jon and Tyrion,

three fires must you light - one for life, one for death, and one to love.
for life - Dany hatching the dragons
for death - Tyrion burning the Blackwater, nearly getting killed himself in the process
to love - Jon burning Ygritte.

three mounts must you ride - one to bed, one to dread, and one to love
to bed - Dany riding her silver on her wedding day
to dread - Jon or Tyrion. I think it is Jon, and this ride is yet to come.
to love - Jon or Tyrion. I think this is Tyrion, and he will go riding a dragon to find a woman he loves. (Logical assumption is Tysha, though I'm hoping for Sansa in Eyrie)

three treasons shall you know - one for blood, one for gold, and one for love.
for blood - Illyrio(or the GC) betraying Dany for Aegon (who is Illyrio's blood relative)
for gold - Shae betraying Tyrion for the promise of riches from Cersei
for love - Ned betraying Jon for his love of Lyanna and Robert. Or the mutineers betraying Jon out of their love for the Watch?

This is a great interpretaion.

I think that the first two fires/mounts/treasons are not that important, so I don't want to brood about those. on the other hand, I think that the love prophecies are very important. I think that the mount to love is Jon, and the treason for love will result in Dany's death. :( no idea about the fire to love though (please note that it says TO love... so "Jon burning Ygritte", for example, doesn't make much sense)

Just like lighting the fires and riding the mounts, there is also the possibility that the treasons will be hers committed against someone else, not the reverse, so:

Blood: Mirri was under Dany's protection and she did prevent Drogo's death, and yet Dany killed her

Love: Astapor, betraying the Wise Masters after they cut a deal in good faith, all for the love of her people

Gold: TBD, or maybe taking Illyrio's ship and cargo to fund her attack on Merreen?

• 2 months later...

This is my current theory

3 fires

for life - the birth of the dragons

for death - Dany will burn Meereen to the ground

to love - (it seems the to instead of for is significant) My current prediction is Dany will make a new Wall made of fire to protect the realms of man.

3 Mounts

to bed - Drogo

to dread - Drogon? (I don't like it being Drogon if the other two are human lovers, but I don't know how much she has to dread guys like Hizdahr and Daario.)

to love - Jorah (I ship Jorah and Dany, so this has some heavy bias involved)

3 Treasons

for blood - Mirri Maz Duur

for gold - Illyrio (a wealthy merchant who Dany has relied on for so much, will turn on her to back Aegon because it is more profitable to do so)

for love - Tyrion (Tyrion is a character whose desire for love is huge motivation in most of what he does so if someone is going to do something for love it will be him. Plus I think he is a villainous character, albeit a sympathetic one.  I can see him betraying Dany if he thinks it will win him the love of the people.)

My theory is that each of the fires, mounts and treasons increase in their magnitude and impact on Dany.

For example, the three treasons - the first was Mirri Maz Duur (someone she barely knew), perhaps gold (my interpretation is that it means something material) was Jorah - for the promise of a pardon and return to Bear Island or we may not have seen it, love - Tyrion (or other dragon rider). I still think that Tyrion will betray Dany for Jaime - because IMHO, no matter how much Tyrion whines about hating Jaime in ADWD, by the time the two meet again he will have changed his mind.

3 Fires

1. For life - birth of the dragons
  2. For death - the fire that will burn Volantis
  3. To love - Dany will burn someone she loves (Jorah/Missandei) as he/she dies,to prevent him/her from becoming a Wight.

3 Mounts

1. To bed - Daario
  2. To dread - Drogon
  3. To love - Drogo

3 Treasons

1. For blood - Illyrio supporting his son Aegon
  2. For gold - Jorah
  3. For love - Tyrion freeing Jaime from Dany's dungeons

• 3 weeks later...

... Three heads has the dragon... the ghost chorus yammered inside her skull with never a lip moving, never a breath stirring the still blue air ... "mother of dragons* ... child of storm ... The whispers became a swirling song ... three fires must you light ... one for life and one for death and one to love ... Her own heart was beating in unison to the one that floated before her, blue and corrupt ... three mounts must you ride ... one to bed and one to dread and one to love ... The voices were growing louder she realized, and it seemed her heart was slowing, and ever her breath ... three treasons will you know ... once for blood and once for gold and once for love ...

My favorite theory:

I think we should be more careful with the actual words used.

I don't think you can have only a third of them be about Dany. "Three fires must you light" would imply that that Dany would have to actual be the cause of each fire, and rider of each mount. The last part about the treasons, however, could imply that the treasons might not necessarily be directed at her.

What intrigues me is the fire she must light "to love" -- not for love, but to love (unlike for life and for death). For suggests "in order to bring about"; so what is the meaning of to love?

"Three treasons will you know" could mean that she is made aware of three treasons (some of which may affect her and others which may not).

I also don't think that the fire she lights for death is Drogo, as it was the same fire that gave birth to the dragons. I am more inclined to think that the fire she lights for death would be when she takes to battle upon her dragons and literally burns her enemies.

• 2 months later...

I think the 3 prophecies are not directly addressed to Dany, but rather cross-referenced with the dragon has three heads, so the prophecies all apply to Jon/Danny/Tyrion, or better they are em par to each one of them, especially the treason for love, which would imply Jon being betrayed by his comrades, over their passion to the Night's Watch.

On 01/09/2015 at 8:34 PM, DaSh!t said:

Three Treasons:

One for Blood is Mirri Maz Duur

One for Gold is Brown Plum

One for Love is Aegon

what are your opinions?

Agree Blood is Mirri Maz Duur

Gold is Brown Ben/Sellswords

One for love however is Quentyn. He betrayed her to win her love... trying to impress her by taming a dragon.

Well, there certainly are a lot to choose from.

First off, I saw a couple interpretations that had acts being committed by someone else, not necessarily by or to Dany. This is her prophecy, so I think they are must be about her/by her, etc.

Also, I think that the events are stated chronologically, hence, in terms of fires, first the one for life, then one for death, and then on to love.

Fires:

1) For life. Done. The burning of MMD to bring the Dragons to life.

2) For death. Unsure. I will say I don't think it can be Drogo, because he is burned at the same time as MMD, that is one fire, it should not count for two parts of the prophecy. It said three fires, and that fire is only one. Now, if you want to count if for death, I'd be fine with that. Ditto with the mounts, first to bed, then to dread, then to love. Ditto with the treasons, first for blood, then for gold, then for love.

I think this has yet to happen. She is going to burn a lot of stuff, soon, Whether it is Mereen, another slave city (Volantis?), KL, or perhaps the walkers and wights. I'll tend to go with the latter.

3) To Love. To love, not for love. If Dany is to sacrifice herself to light a fire (say, in a sword) so save the world, this may be it. Though I'm not sure how that would be a fire "to love.' As much as I want Dany to survive, I fear this may be it.

Mounts:

1) To bed. Done. Silver/Drogo. No love here at the beginning.

2) To dread. Done. Drogo.

3) To love. Hasn't happened yet. Even Daario is more desire than love. She certainly came to love Silver and Drogo, but I think this is yet to come. Probably Jon Snow.

Treasons:

1) For blood. Done. MMD.

2) For Gold. Done. Either Jorah or the swellswords.

3) For Love. Hasn't happened yet. I very much like the idea of Tyrion. Though I could see Misandei (spelling?) doing it if her show love for Grey Worm gets mirrored in the books. Or I could see Jon doing it so save a family member (Arya or Sansa).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I also thought they were listed chronologically, but that really limits our interpretations.  My guess would be:

Fires:

For Life - Mereen or possibly Astapor.  Mereen is definitely about to go up in flames.  I believe this to be about using her dragons for the freedom of slaves.

For Death - We haven't seen this yet, but it could be her invasion into Westeros. 

Spoiler

If the show is any indication, it could be the khals.

To Love - If we're taking this out of chronological order, then this fits the Drogo/dragon pyre the best.  She lights the pyre and climbs atop it for her love, Drogo.  The result is three new children for her to love.

Mounts (Looser Interpretation):

To Bed - Again, assuming these aren't in chronological order, this is Daario.

To Dread - Drogon or Hizdahr.

To Love - Drogo

Alternatively, if Mounts actually means something you ride:

To Bed - Silver.

To Dread - Drogon.

To Love - Sailing West to (f)Aegon.

Treasons are probably the most obvious, because they've been described in the text.  According to Dany's own inner thoughts, they are:

For Blood - Mirri Maz Duur

For Gold - Brown Ben Plumm

For Love - Jorah

However, her interpretation on those is likely incorrect.  Especially Jorah...his betrayal reeks more of coin than love.  Brown Ben Plumm also seems like he might be switching sides a second time and his betrayal doesn't seem nearly severe enough.

More Likely Treasons:

Blood - Mirri Maz Duur

Gold - Jorah

Love - Hasn't happened yet, but could also be Jorah if he does something stupid to get back into her good graces.

I liked somebody's guess above that Quentyn was the treason for love.

Haven't thought about this for quit some time, but back during Feast I sailed aboard the SS Jon x Dany and theorized that each "Love" bit was Jon related. From there I figured if the 3rd part of each prophecy bit were related, perhaps the same would be true of the first and second bits.

The first three would all be related to her Dothraki arc.

Fire for life - Birth of her Dragons

Mount to Bed - Her Silver To Drogo

Treason for Blood - Mirri Maz Dur

The second three related to her Mereen arc.

Fire for death - Possibly burning Mereen to the ground

Mount to dread - Drogon, most likely used to create aforementioned fire

Treason for gold - her betrayal in Mereen, most likely for wealth etc.

The final would be her North/Wall/Final story arc, and being the furthest away, hardest to predict.

Fire for love - Not sure. If Jon x Dany is ever a thing, I don't see it being a happily ever after affair. Perhaps he is brought back to life more and slowly loses himself or perhaps becomes a wight and in either instance is set ablaze. Even had theories of Jon being Danys Nissa nissa.

Mount to love - Ghost to Jon? She could ride him for sure.

Treason for love - hard to guess. Always assumed it could be Danys own treason, not one done to her. Perhaps having to do with a death of her dragon/s.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty damn sure the rest of you are trusting way too much that these things have already happened. Knowing Martin, he sure loves deceiving his characters and readers. He'd totally give us a couple of tasty false flags and when we think these parts of her prophecy have been fulfilled: boom, nasty surprise.

Fire for life - Drogo's pyre and hatching the dragons

Fire for death - I'd say she goes full scale Targaryen crazy and burns either her enemies of a whole city at some point

Fire for love - biggest mystery of them all. I think this has not yet happened and it will be dramatic

Mount to Bed - could be Drogo (not necessarily though)

Mount to Dread - the sickness (sorry, haven't read the books in English so I don't remember the proper translation)

Mount to Love - a dragon, hasn't happened yet in the way the prophecy means it. I believe it means riding a dragon for some real important purpose

Treason for Blood - totally not happened yet, will be Aegon. Trust me, guys. Blood here doesn't mean blood blood, it means either kin or possibly her blood riders

Treason for Gold - Jorah

Treason for Love - hasn't happened yet either. And trust me, it will be ugly

Archived