Visenya the Conquerer?

Darkstream

Aegon or Visenya, who do you think was more vital in conquering Westeros? Who was more valuable in uniting/governing the seven kingdom's?

Or, do you think Rhaenys was just as important as her sibling's?

Who is your favorite/most bad ass of the three? (With or without dragons)

Aegon, because it was his idea. Visenya helped quite a lot though. Rhaenys too, but more because she controlled a third dragon.

I'd give Aegon 45%, Visenya 40%, and Rhaenys 15%. But she was important to Aegon himself. It's sad that she had to die.

Although I think Aegon is really cool, as a mystery to everyone else, I have to choose Rhaenys.

She loves to fly with her dragon, she can make good laws and decisions, she can fight (I guess), loves singers, poets and so on... she's great.

And she's hot  :dunno:

In terms of conquest, Aegon was the most important.  In terms of consolidating the conquest, and securing the dynasty, Visenya was the most important.

Rhaenys was the least successful of the three, in military terms, and died early.  She was most likely the nicest of the three, but the least effective.

In terms of conquest, Aegon was the most important.  In terms of consolidating the conquest, and securing the dynasty, Visenya was the most important.

Rhaenys was the least successful of the three, in military terms, and died early.  She was most likely the nicest of the three, but the least effective.

She was the most important and effective in terms of legislation (as much as they did anything on that front at all), diplomacy and, as we'd call it, PR, in addition to contributing significantly to the military conquest. I don't see how Visenya was more important in terms of consolidating the conquest. She was responsible for the foundation of the Kinsguard, but the Kingsguard is hardly the most important thing for the consolidation of the conquest.

Annara Snow,

That's fair, in terms of legislation.  She was good at soft power.

If anything, I'd say that Visenya was the better diplomat, persuading plenty of lords to bend the knee, with a minimum of force.

In terms of consolidation, Visenya was the one who was prepared to break the Faith Militant, when Aenys lost his nerve.  If she did murder him, then she probably saved the dynasty.

Annara Snow,

That's fair, in terms of legislation.  She was good at soft power.

If anything, I'd say that Visenya was the better diplomat, persuading plenty of lords to bend the knee, with a minimum of force.

In terms of consolidation, Visenya was the one who was prepared to break the Faith Militant, when Aenys lost his nerve.  If she did murder him, then she probably saved the dynasty.

Rhaenys was the one trying to arrange marriages between regions to help unify the realm though, iirc.

Rhaenys was the one trying to arrange marriages between regions to help unify the realm though, iirc.

Thats what I was just about say.
Rhaenys had more contribution in joining the realm under targaryen rule. By arranging marriages and earning the love of small folk.
Aegon was important for the conquest than Visenya was. It was his plan, and hadn't he been planning his conquest for years?

It was his plan, and hadn't he been planning his conquest for years?

I'm not sure about this. :dunno: my take was that his conquest was in response to the constant warring between the various kingdoms and Argilac's response to Aegon's proposal. I think he was pissed at "the arrogant's" slight.

Rhaenys managed to get her dragon killed at Hellholt and herself either killed or captured. This led to Aegon putting contracts out on the Dornish lords and they, in turn, putting contracts out on him, which almost cost him his life a few years later. Then he received a letter from the Dornish Prince, which we can only presume had something to do with Rhaenys. The next day, he gave up the conquest of Dorne.

So as far as conquering goes, Rhaenys probably did more harm than good.

Actually, we have no clue whose idea the Conquest in itself even was Aegon's idea. Could have been, could have been Visenya or Rhaenys' idea, or the siblings could have come up with the idea together. We do not know, since Gyldayn doesn't explain the story to us.

Visenya seems to have been about as or even more powerful and influential than Aegon himself. She founded the Kingsguard, and she ruled the Realm in Aegon's absence while he was on progress throughout the Realm with Aenys or spent his time on Dragonstone. Visenya also was the champion of House Targaryen and apparently a better warrior than her brother. And yes, Visenya may have saved the ass of the Targaryen dynasty when/if she murdered Aenys, but then she might have accomplished the same if she had just disobeyed Aenys and taken Vhagar to Oldtown on her own. Another alternative could have been to bring Maegor back and fight against the rebels in Aenys' name. He would have been grateful if they had restored him to his throne.

Rhaenys most likely was the crucial figure up until her death since she was more popular than Visenya and had more influence over Aegon. Not to mention that Meraxes was bigger than Vhagar.

I don't think you can really separate one of them from the other two in terms of importance.  Each had their role and things would be vastly different if you eliminate any of the three from the situation.  

Rhaenys was the one Aegon loved.  Without her he would have been a different man, might not have cared to invade and unite Westeros, might have just left everything to Visenya, etc.  

Without Visenya though, he would have been dead at least one time.  He wouldn't have the Kingsguard.  The whole thing with the Vale would have gone differently.

Without Aegon, neither woman was likely to have accomplished nearly as much as the trio did--Visenya was too hard and Rhaenys too soft, and if they'd been working together without Aegon as a buffer they likely would have killed each other.

Rhaenys managed to get her dragon killed at Hellholt and herself either killed or captured. This led to Aegon putting contracts out on the Dornish lords and they, in turn, putting contracts out on him, which almost cost him his life a few years later. Then he received a letter from the Dornish Prince, which we can only presume had something to do with Rhaenys. The next day, he gave up the conquest of Dorne.

So as far as conquering goes, Rhaenys probably did more harm than good.

I don't know. Maybe this is putting too much on Rhaenys. Perhaps, the Targs just fucked with the wrong people.

Without Aegon, neither woman was likely to have accomplished nearly as much as the trio did--Visenya was too hard and Rhaenys too soft, and if they'd been working together without Aegon as a buffer they likely would have killed each other.

Why? they are sisters. They would not kill each other no matter if there is Aegon around.

If they were not sisters, visenya and Rhaenys would surely fight each other for Aegon and visenya may win. 

Well, without Aegon Visenya most likely would have married Rhaenys off to somebody else, and there wouldn't have been any quarrel.

Actually Aegon should have married a Dornish princess to bring Dorne into his realm. 

Then he does not need to lose Rhaenys. 

Why? they are sisters. They would not kill each other no matter if there is Aegon around.
If they were not sisters, visenya and Rhaenys would surely fight each other for Aegon and visenya may win.

I think Visenya and Rhaenys loved each other. Visenya built the Sept of Remembrance in honour of her sister, and took grim revenge for her death.

Archived