Would Dorne have declared war?

Snowhere fast

In the WoT5K, do you think that Dorne would have declared war on the Lannisters if they were asked to? For example, what if Robb sent them a letter attempting to persuade them to become independent and attack the Lannisters? Would they have sided with Stannis or Renly? Maybe they would stayed loyal to the crown?

This has probably been discussed before but I was just wondering what your thoughts are :)

In the WoT5K, do you think that Dorne would have declared war on the Lannisters if they were asked to? For example, what if Robb sent them a letter attempting to persuade them to become independent and attack the Lannisters? Would they have sided with Stannis or Renly? Maybe they would stayed loyal to the crown?

This has probably been discussed before but I was just wondering what your thoughts are :)

I don't think Dorne would have declared open war, Doran Martell always came across as trying desperately to avoid it but his subjects were always trying to force his hand. I think it's much more likely that they would do what they are doing now and pretending to be friends with the Lannisters whilst working to bring them down (I subscribe to Oberyn poisoned Tywin and am a big Martell fan so I'm pretty biased  ^_^). Doran's quote about being the grass that hides the viper also makes me think this is the case. 

Does Doran Martell needs Robb Stark to get independent ?

"Independency" for Dorne is not far away considering their history. Have a look at the Duskendale defiance and corroborate that with the Jon Arryn visit.

Dorne has been pretty much independent in all but name. 

Dorne wouldn't side with anyone. The Baratheons and Starks were in the army that killed Lewyn and the Lannisters murdered Elia and her children. The Greyjoys are completely off the table, though admittedly that would be a hilarious alliance.

Does Doran Martell needs Robb Stark to get independent ?

"Independency" for Dorne is not far away considering their history. Have a look at the Duskendale defiance and corroborate that with the Jon Arryn visit.

Dorne has been pretty much independent in all but name. 

Yes, Dorne seems quite independent already. 

That is why they stayed away from the war most of the time. 

The only reason they wanted to get into war is to revenge for Elia and her children. 

Otherwise they may just stay quiet, especially under Doran.  

Yes, Dorne seems quite independent already. 

That is why they stayed away from the war most of the time. 

The only reason they wanted to get into war is to revenge for Elia and her children. 

Otherwise they may just stay quiet, especially under Doran.  

I wouldn't be so certain about Doran's peacefulness. All that we know is that he doesn't wanna lose, but he does wanna play.

I wouldn't be so certain about Doran's peacefulness. All that we know is that he doesn't wanna lose, but he does wanna play.

He had a lot of thoughts, but his people were kind of immature, except red Viper. 

See Quentyn, Arianne, those sand snakes, and also darkstar.......

Dorne may fail by working with fAegon. 

Only if it would've gotten them a Martell consort on the Iron Throne with little hassle.

Like, maybe if Robb and Edmure had promised to bend the knee to Queen Myrcella and King Trystane in exchange for Dorne helping them against Tywin.

He had a lot of thoughts, but his people were kind of immature, except red Viper. 

See Quentyn, Arianne, those sand snakes, and also darkstar.......

Dorne may fail by working with fAegon. 

So far, Martin had lured the readers into a sense of unsignificance about Dorne.

Not sure Oberyn and Doran were relying on a bunch of kids to win the war.

But we should have more in the next novel. So, I hope.

Have the two of them met?  Doran and Robb.  Doran would have to meet Robb, evaluate him, and then decide.   Put Doran in Walder's shoes and he would have done the same thing to Robb after the Starks broke their wedding agreement. 

Any chance of an alliance evaporated when Robb declared himself king in the north.  Doran doesn't want a broken kingdom.  He just wants his liege family back. 

Have the two of them met?  Doran and Robb.  Doran would have to meet Robb, evaluate him, and then decide.   Put Doran in Walder's shoes and he would have done the same thing to Robb after the Starks broke their wedding agreement. 

Any chance of an alliance evaporated when Robb declared himself king in the north.  Doran doesn't want a broken kingdom.  He just wants his liege family back. 

Essentially. Doran wants the "good old days" of rule by Targaryen kings with Martell queens to come back again.

imo The Martells under Doran would never take part in something like the RW, except it would go against the Lannisters. And even against the lannisters only against those who are of age and in any way to blame for the things happening at the Sack of Kings Landing.

Dorne wouldn't side with anyone. The Baratheons and Starks were in the army that killed Lewyn and the Lannisters murdered Elia and her children. The Greyjoys are completely off the table, though admittedly that would be a hilarious alliance.

I do love the idea of a Doran-Euron alliance. Doran suggests an 18-year plan, Euron says, "OK, I'll go fuck off and explore the world for the next 18 years, and then come back and attack everyone, unless you give me a signal not to."

I do love the idea of a Doran-Euron alliance. Doran suggests an 18-year plan, Euron says, "OK, I'll go fuck off and explore the world for the next 18 years, and then come back and attack everyone, unless you give me a signal not to."

Actually the crow's eye had been away for only 2 years. Since the kingsmoot he planned to put everyone down including the Dornish.

Actually the crow's eye had been away for only 2 years. Since the kingsmoot he planned to put everyone down including the Dornish.

Is that really correct? I thought Euron got banished during the Greyjoy Rebellion and I think its been more than 2 years since then, when the books starts and even more when Euron returns.

Is that really correct? I thought Euron got banished during the Greyjoy Rebellion and I think its been more than 2 years since then, when the books starts and even more when Euron returns.

Yes, it is.

"Aeron was almost at the door when the maester cleared his throat, and said, "Euron Crow's Eye sits the Seastone Chair."
The Damphair turned. The hall had suddenly grown colder. The Crow's Eye is half a world away. Balon sent him off two years ago, and swore that it would be his life if he returned. "Tell me," he said hoarsely." (The Prophet, AFFC)

Archived