Slug 'em back - Drinking Continues!

Fragile Bird

15 hours ago, RenlyIsNotRight said:

Apparently New Belgium is finally coming to my state this month. Thoughts on their shit? Fat Tire looks right up my alley.

Some beers in the Lips of Faith series (more "out there," craft offerings that come in single 22oz format) are pretty great (although conversely, some are fucking awful) whereas the normal and seasonal 6 pack lineup are pretty mediocre. Not bad, but not great.

I am enjoying some really fantastic sweet tea the wife and kids made yesterday--super sweet! Had a couple of glasses with a giant frosted coffe roll and a big bowl of cocoa puffs. Usually I don't allow that kind of trash in the house but we've all had a real hankering for sweets of late. God bless!

Agreed - the Lips of Faith stuff has been pretty nice in my experience. 

I've had some tasty beverages this week. A 30-odd TT by Cloudwater was halted as soon as I reached their IPA Citra brewed with Vermont yeast, because I refused to drink anything else after that. It's one of the best IPAs I've had in the UK. Probably closest to a Kernel IPA. The best thing was drinking it side by side with their DIPA  and getting that East vs West thing going on. 

Then we went to Bristol for the weekend to visit friends who are opening a brewery there this summer and finally got to visit Moor and have a little poke around their brew house. AND got to drink Return of the Empire at source. AND bought a bottle of Fusion (annual special release old ale aged in Somerset cider barrels) from 2010. Looking forward to doing a vertical Fusion tasting soon. 

i did a beer dinner with a virginia brewery called ocelot friday. they make some really lovely beers. it was a true pleasure cooking to match their fine work.

highlights in food and pairing for me was a super tropical tasting ipa with a raw halibut presentation, corned pork belly, smoked beef tongue and kimchi pierogi with their imperial red ale and chocolate pudding, coconut mousse, caramelized bananas with a simply perfect porter.

On 3/8/2016 at 1:47 AM, RenlyIsNotRight said:

Apparently New Belgium is finally coming to my state this month. Thoughts on their shit? Fat Tire looks right up my alley.

Way late to this but as it is my hometown brewery I ought to respond.  I recently had Fat Tire again for the first time in years and was pleasantly surprised by how it held up.  My tastes have changed dramatically but Fat Tire is as balanced as they come.  My dad's favorite beer for the last fifteen years has been Abbey (too malty for me) and I used to drive it up to him before New Belgium expanded their distribution to everywhere. 

That said they are probably my third favorite brewery in Fort Collins; they have a very distinct taste but it doesn't really match my own in most cases.  Le Folly was the first sour beer I ever tried and still one of my favorites so they will always get credit for that from me but I rarely drink them anymore.

On 14/03/2016 at 3:21 PM, Isis said:

Beer and food pairing is one of my very favourite things. :)

http://www.quilon.co.uk/quilon/media/pdf/Menus/8-course-beer-and-food_1.pdf

amazing indian restaurant which does a beer flight instead of wine flight.  

why do restaurants insist on taking beer out of a nice cold bottle and putting in a room temperature glass?  it really grips my shit.  

6 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

http://www.quilon.co.uk/quilon/media/pdf/Menus/8-course-beer-and-food_1.pdf

amazing indian restaurant which does a beer flight instead of wine flight.  

why do restaurants insist on taking beer out of a nice cold bottle and putting in a room temperature glass?  it really grips my shit.  

a couple things on that....

beer is not supposed to be served ice fucking cold. darker stuff should be served about 55f. and beer like wine benefits from being in a more open vessel. air doesn't enter a bottle as well as a proper glass. air is vital for opening up the flavors and aromas of a good beer.

2 hours ago, MercifulChief said:

a couple things on that....

beer is not supposed to be served ice fucking cold. darker stuff should be served about 55f. and beer like wine benefits from being in a more open vessel. air doesn't enter a bottle as well as a proper glass. air is vital for opening up the flavors and aromas of a good beer.

does that apply to fosters as well?  or should i just hold my nose and gulp it down?

Archived