Slug 'em back - Drinking Continues!

Fragile Bird

7 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

I've finally took the step and begun using soapstones. No longer shall I have to race against the clock to drink my scotch before it becomes diluted.

Gross.

The point of ice is for subtle dilution and reduction in temperature in the beverage.  

Once in a great  while I do enjoy a large glass of bourbon with a couple ice cubes. 

Whisky stones are a novelty product.

20 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

What kind of swill are you drinking that it requires ice cubes?

It's not that scotch ever requires ice cubes. I just like experimenting with different ways to drink my beverages. However, upon experimentation I've found ice cubes put a timer on when you must finish your drink, or else the drink is ruined. Now I can try drinks at cooler temperatures without having to worry about over watering.

And at the time I was drinking The Glenlivet. 

Edit: Haha, I was gonna come back and act all outraged that you would accuse me of drinking swill, but sadly tonight I have been drinking swill (not mine, someone left it here and you know, free) and couldn't do it without feeling like a hypocrite :D.

16 hours ago, MercifulChief said:

Gross.

The point of ice is for subtle dilution and reduction in temperature in the beverage.  

Once in a great  while I do enjoy a large glass of bourbon with a couple ice cubes. 

Whisky stones are a novelty product.

Yes, except when that subtle dilution goes too far and ruins the drink. I don't think too many people like watered down whiskey.

Raja from Avery. Love the Maharaja-- surprised how different this is. A lot more pineapple-oj. This would be an excellent brunch beer

edit: shit, Isis, meant to ask you... I remember a while ago you were traveling through Mass while in the states, did you ever manage to score any trillium? Or get to any other MA/New England beers you particularly liked? Just a bit of local pride slash curiosity asking

We didn't get any Trillium on that trip sadly, but occasionally we'll see some of it in the UK at bottle shares. 

We brought some Night Shift stuff home and enjoyed that. Is that from Mass? We also really liked everything we had from Maine Beer Co. We visited Oxbow to have a look at their kit. I love farmhouse beers so I enjoyed all of their stuff too. 

We flew home from Oregon yesterday morning and happily all the bottles we bought (from Cascade, de Garde, and Block 15) made it intact. 

Don't think I would have handled it well if we'd lost another set of Cascade Noyaux botles.

Speaking of Oregon, I wouldn't be too surprised if people start talking about Great Notion from Portland. Their double IPA is very much like Tree House's stuff in all aspects (including quality) and their maple/coffee stout was delicious. 

5 hours ago, Isis said:

We didn't get any Trillium on that trip sadly, but occasionally we'll see some of it in the UK at bottle shares. 

We brought some Night Shift stuff home and enjoyed that. Is that from Mass? We also really liked everything we had from Maine Beer Co. We visited Oxbow to have a look at their kit. I love farmhouse beers so I enjoyed all of their stuff too. 

Nice! All good stuff. Night Shifts great, and love the Maine Beer Co

Already been hearing about Great Notion over here. Especially in connection with cloudy fruit juice type IPA. 

So, so much talk about clarity in beer in the UK. It's an issue that never really goes away. I guess it stems from brewing cask beer, which requires careful handling after it leaves the brewery to make sure it tastes (and looks) good. There's this old fashioned idea that anything which isn't so bright that you can read newsprint through it must be infected. Then there's a kind of snobbery from some better brewers (I mean people not companies) who say only lazy people make hazy beer. Then people argue about whether it's yeast that's not been dropped out, hop haze from dry hopping or polyphenols from malt. I just saw a beer writer friend of mine getting into yet another spat on Twitter about it last night. 

I think what weirds people out is the idea that in the US brewers must be adding stuff to create murky beer  - rather than not removing stuff. 

Personally I'd rather drink a beer with some haze than a super bright beer. Some of the filtered pale beers I've had lately are almost watery. Give me a Kernel IPA over a BrewDog homeopathic beer that only has a vague memory of hop flavour left. 

10 hours ago, Isis said:

I think what weirds people out is the idea that in the US brewers must be adding stuff to create murky beer  - rather than not removing stuff. 

I don't know about professional brewers, but I did come across a discussion on a homebrewer forum where people were talking about ideas for methods (e.g. adding flour to the mash or the boil (or both?)) to do just this AND posting pictures of beers they made using these methods. 

So that is a thing that happens. Of course, that's one of the appeals of homebrewing for a lot of people -- you can do ridiculous shit for the sake of experimentation and not have the same concerns about money or reputation that a brewery might have.

Archived