Slug 'em back - Drinking Continues!

Fragile Bird

Yeah, absolutely. We've done our share of wacky far out beers, because you really can go nuts on a small scale.
That said, I cannot imagine adding stuff to make it murkier - surely you don't want beer to taste floury - I guess it gets cooked out in the mash or boil? Then it's fine enough to carry through? Urgh. It just seems both unnecessary and unsavoury to me.

People in the UK keep tweeting these pics of cloudy fruit juice-looking IPAs from the US along with their complete horror that anyone would make their beer look that way on purpose. Then people started posting pics of microscope images showing yeast cell counts from those beers, supposedly demonstrating that the particulate matter in the beer is NOT yeast. Hop material is only supposed to account for a very low percentage of haze in beers, even heavily dry-hopped beers (but there must be some variation in this, and by some I mean A LOT, surely?).

Kernel pale beers are notorious in the UK for being murky, I think a lot of that is yeast and some of it is hop. I'd keep the yeast in order to maintain the max fruit flavour from the hops though - because when all of the yeast is filtered out you just don't get that 'juicy' character any more, or at least it is VERY restrained. For example, I do like FW beers but we saw what they did to their beers - to filter out everything for stability and shelf-life and ok, I know why they do it but I am never going to crave one of their pale beers like I crave a Kernel or even a HT.

On 14 April 2016 at 1:36 AM, R'hllors Red Lobster said:

Picked up a couple bottles of Trilliums Enigma dry hopped FPPA. Not really familiar with Enigma hops, curious to see what that's all about

Seen quite a few single hop Enigma beers - IPA, session IPA and lager. Always forget if it's British or Australian. Had a really good single hop Enigma black IPA actually.

But what's a FPPA? Something something pale ale. Fresh? Um.

4 hours ago, Isis said:

Seen quite a few single hop Enigma beers - IPA, session IPA and lager. Always forget if it's British or Australian. Had a really good single hop Enigma black IPA actually.

Sorry yeah, as Mr X noted, Fort Point pale ale, I've just gotten so used to seeing it written that way on --Twitter or chalk boards, etc-- it's seeped into my brain. 

Really enjoyed it, BTW

On 17/4/2016 at 11:32 AM, Isis said:

:lol:

Had a few different Cantillons on draft last Saturday - sadly a bit too young to be really remarkable, but still very good.

Also, some fresh U.S. beer just arrived through some trading friend. Many from Bell's, one Surly-Mikkeller collab. and a few others. All pretty good.

• 2 weeks later...

I knew there was a reason I tolerated my boyfriend. These Apple Smirnoffs he convinced me to try are fucking delicious, and go well in conjunction with some Fireball (supplemented with Coke, of course) and 'Interstellar' to make a strange liquid leak from my eyeballs.

On 22-4-2016 at 9:31 AM, Isis said:

Weird Beard make a beer called Something Something Dark Side :)

I've had one of those. Quite nice.

It's derby day, so I'm sipping on my ill-gotten bottle of Pappy Van Winkle.  I've had it for a few years, but it's so hard to get that I only bring it out on derby day.  I think I've got one year left.

Archived