Slug 'em back - Drinking Continues!

Fragile Bird

1 hour ago, Isis said:

I can only report that HC does not drink like a 9% or 9.2% or whatever it is IPA. It's dangerous. That said, jump on if you see it, obviously. Actually we were down in Brighton this past weekend and amongst other beery venues we popped into the Brighton Brewdog bar and tried their collab DIPA with Scofflaw (whom I will I am only aware of from their recent social media controversy). It was in the same sort of ballpark as HC. It's called Double A, so try that if you see it too. But I don't know if it was brewed here or in the US though.

HC is very very drinkable.

I am happy to report that the local shop still had some UHC left, so a can is staying chilled in the fridge until I have a good time to drink it. Looking forward to trying that as well.

First day in London. Both Hop Lockers in South Bank. Mainly the one close to the street food stalls. It was lunch time and the food was good too.

Had a couple IPAs from Deca, a Jamaican Blue Speedway - sweeter than the other versions I tried - , something from Verdant.

Then me and my drinking buddy moved to Bermondsey. One beer each at each BBNo. The saison with lime had too much lime. The coffee pale ale lacked coffee but was very easy drinking.

A new collaboration lager involving Moor and an Italian brewery from Venice. Decent.

An excellent collaboration IRS involving Brewski and Cycle. My second IRS of the day and it was a little sweet as well, but I loved it.

Dinner in a lovely ramen venue close to Piccadilly and then a classic cask ale from Salopian at the Craft Beer Co in Covent Garden to close the day.

3 hours ago, Hoppy Hour said:

First day in London. Both Hop Lockers in South Bank. Mainly the one close to the street food stalls. It was lunch time and the food was good too.

Had a couple IPAs from Deca, a Jamaican Blue Speedway - sweeter than the other versions I tried - , something from Verdant.

Then me and my drinking buddy moved to Bermondsey. One beer each at each BBNo. The saison with lime had too much lime. The coffee pale ale lacked coffee but was very easy drinking.

A new collaboration lager involving Moor and an Italian brewery from Venice. Decent.

An excellent collaboration IRS involving Brewski and Cycle. My second IRS of the day and it was a little sweet as well, but I loved it.

Dinner in a lovely ramen venue close to Piccadilly and then a classic cask ale from Salopian at the Craft Beer Co in Covent Garden to close the day.

I was working yesterday (Hop Locker bar on the river), you should've said hi! The Verdant IPA (Unlike Stars) which was on at the market bar is very nice. Also the Deya Steady Rolling Man is becoming a classic. But the Deya DIPA was a bit too boozy. Glad you've fitted in so much beer on your visit though. 

Having survived pregnancy, I’m very much enjoying an occasional G and T again, as well as more regular applications of red wine.

Still loving The Botantist. Typically with 4-5 ice cubes and a splash of fever tree naturally light. I’d been bought Ableforths bathtub gin last Sept for my birthday and just drinking it now. Clean, crisp tasting it’s a lovely summer time gin. I’ve a monkey 47 on order so looking forward to trying that. As birdie mentioned previously, the Mediterranean tonic goes nicely with a dry gin like Bombay sapphire.

Wine wise, we had a fantastic St Julian (chateau Lalande) last night. Rich and medium bodied, it took nearly 90 minutes to drink the first glass as you wanted to savour it.

The new Baba bought his father Middleton very rare 2017 and I had a dram recently. Sweet, honeyed and actually too smooth for me, it was tasty though.

On 6/9/2018 at 7:32 PM, Xray el Sicario said:

god I hope it isn't a mix of gin and olives. I absolutely hate that combo. 

Wait. This is backing up a bit, but you don't like olives with your gin?  Why ever not?

• 2 weeks later...

Been partial to cider lately in the hot weather. My favourite at the moment is probably Rekorderlig berry cider or strawberry and lime. Served over ice of course. Can only drink one bottle though as it makes me bloated, but very nice and refreshing. I also quite like Smirnoff Raspberry and Pomegranate cider.

Going to a nice gin bar in a couple of weeks. They have a huge selection so if anyone has recommendations I'm open ears

6 hours ago, Helenas Musikautomat said:

Going to a nice gin bar in a couple of weeks. They have a huge selection so if anyone has recommendations I'm open ears

I’m really enjoying The botanist at the moment. Lovely in a G and small amount of T. I’d go for it in a gimlet as well. 

After our stop at their Yountville tasting room last summer we became Girard Winery members. Highly recommend. 

I fell in love with their rose zinfandel during our tasting and added 4 bottles to our last shipment. So crisp and melon-y. Enjoying a glass before dinner. 

14 hours ago, Deedles said:

I’m really enjoying The botanist at the moment. Lovely in a G and small amount of T. I’d go for it in a gimlet as well. 

Thanks! Checked and it’s on their menu. They also have recommended pairings for all of their guns which is nice

After swearing off all silly beer fads I had my first Brut IPA yesterday (from British brewery Odyssey) and was seriously impressed with it. One of the guys at my homebrew club sent me a link to a podcast on this beer style so I'll listen to that today. 

• 6 months later...

...and I'm back.

Does any of you have any NYC recommendation?

My gf is there on a holiday for a week and I'm counting on her to bring me back something.

I know the usual suspects (Other Half, Interboro, KCBC) and I'm interested in craft beer bars (Manhattan & Brooklyn) and beer stores.

Thanks in advance!

Grimm now has a taproom right around the corner from the Interboro space in Brooklyn. Both of those are about a mile from the KCBC taproom, which makes for a solid afternoon of beering.

Beer stores, many of which have stuff on tap as well:

Top Hops on the Lower East Side.

Malt and Mold in Gramercy.

Beer Table in Grand Central Station and the World Trade Center mall.

Good Beer NYC in the East Village (website seems to be down at the moment).

Beer Karma in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, as well as Beer Boutique which is a couple blocks away.

Brouwerij Lane in Greenpoint, Brooklyn.

My favorite craft beer bars:

Manhattan: Blind Tiger, The Jeffrey Craft Beer & Bites, The Ginger Man

Brooklyn: The Double Windsor, Pine Box Rock Shop, Precious Metal, Spuyten Duyvil, Owl Farm, The Gate, Bar Great Harry

ETA: This is in response to @Hoppy Hour's post from the last page.

Keen to visit Grimm at their tap when we're over in March. Someone told me that people in NYC snub their beers because they used to distribute most of it outside the city. Any truth in that? 

Hey, did you guys (Mr X) give us a barleywine with KXXX 126 on the cap? Because we drank it last night. For some reason decided to mop up a bunch of strong stuff that's been sat in the fridge for ages. :)

2 hours ago, Isis said:

Keen to visit Grimm at their tap when we're over in March. Someone told me that people in NYC snub their beers because they used to distribute most of it outside the city. Any truth in that? 

Hey, did you guys (Mr X) give us a barleywine with KXXX 126 on the cap? Because we drank it last night. For some reason decided to mop up a bunch of strong stuff that's been sat in the fridge for ages. :)

I don't know of anybody snubbing Grimm on a regular basis, but then I'm pretty out of touch with the local beer scene these days. I know they used to get the occasional side-eye as their beer was brewed outside the city before they built the new space. We can definitely go check them out in March. (I still haven't been, although I've run by the taproom a few times.)

And yes, that's one of ours. Roughly 10.5% ABV Burton ale brewed 3 years ago.

Seems like that was either half a story or a backwards version then. I definitely want to visit the taproom anyway.

Lashings of apologies - we'd already had a pint of our own IPA, a bottle of Chablis, a tripel, and a RIS before I spied your beer. So the finer points of style were wasted on my wasted palate. I just assumed barleywine. It was very nice though, thanks! 

Archived