Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fragile Bird

Slug 'em back - Drinking Continues!

Has anyone tried the supposedly new, fashionable cocktail, the gin and tonic with cold brew coffee?

Pour a shot of gin over ice, add some cold brew and then top off with tonic, topped with a piece of lemon rind.

I had never made cold brew coffee before, and the first recipe that popped up was from Jamie Oliver, who suggested a proportion of 1 part coffee to 8 water. After I put my mix in the fridge for the night, I looked up a few other recipes and everyone seems to suggest a much stronger mix, about 1:4 or 1:5, so I went up from half  cup of coffee to 3/4. If I make the cocktail again, I'll do 1:4, since once I mixed the cocktail I found I really wanted a stronger coffee flavor.

Before the cocktail (at Sunday dinner) three of us tested two flights of gin and tonic. The first was with Tanqueray (as a London Dry Gin) and the second was with The Botanist. I mixed three test drinks with each gin, one with Fever-Tree Indian tonic, the second with Fever-Tree Mediterranean tonic and the third with old standby Schweppes. The drinks were 1 tsp. of gin with 3 tsp. of tonic, so we wouldn't get pie-eyed. :P  

I had never even heard of Mediterranean tonic water. In the end all of us enjoyed the Tanqueray with the Mediterranean tonic water. It was a fun exercise, which some of you might want to try. :)

On 22/10/2017 at 10:59 PM, larrytheimp said:

Hillfarmstead's George Brown Ale.  This is the best brown I ever had.  

Went down to the pub to find it over-run with tourists for the film festival that starts today.  Was about to leave but figured I should hawk the beerlist first.  The saving grace was a fresh keg of this.  

How clean is this beer? Is it a framhouse brown or a clean brown ale?

4 hours ago, Isis said:

How clean is this beer? Is it a framhouse brown or a clean brown ale?

Clean, assuming you mean fermented with standard ale yeast.

It seems a shame to use Botanist in a gin and tonic, but then I am happy to drink gin neat.

So long as you can still taste the flavor of the gin I don't see the problem. I don't like you taste only tonic when I have a g&t, otherwise you may as well have a vodka and tonic. 

Hmmm. Now I want a g&t. 

On 10/24/2017 at 0:48 PM, Mr. X said:

Clean, assuming you mean fermented with standard ale yeast.

It is indeed.  Very different from everything else I've had from there.

On ‎10‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 4:36 AM, Seli said:

It seems a shame to use Botanist in a gin and tonic, but then I am happy to drink gin neat.

I have difficulty drinking straight alcohol. It's the reason I've pretty well given up drinking scotch.

On 26/10/2017 at 10:13 PM, Fragile Bird said:

I have difficulty drinking straight alcohol. It's the reason I've pretty well given up drinking scotch.

That is a very good reason to mix even a good drink.

8 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Jesus Christ, the holiday period really takes it out of your liver, and there are still over 2 weeks to go. 

Truth

On 10/22/2017 at 4:59 PM, larrytheimp said:

Hillfarmstead's George Brown Ale.  This is the best brown I ever had.  

Went down to the pub to find it over-run with tourists for the film festival that starts today.  Was about to leave but figured I should hawk the beerlist first.  The saving grace was a fresh keg of this.  

ughh.. one of those breweries that i have wanted to try for sooo long and not had any opportunity to make it happen. this one will be on my list for life though, so hopefully some day!

i've recently discovered that i think i ruined my pallet's appreciation for big stouts, especially of the bourbon barrel-aged sort. they al lust taste kinda sweet and heavy to me now. i think huge ipa's have just wiped out my taste buds' appreciation for this style :dunno:

Yesterday, with the cheeses. A Pühaste Dekadents. A perfect full heavy port-replacing sipping beer to close Christmas.

On 12/15/2017 at 0:33 AM, IamMe90 said:

i've recently discovered that i think i ruined my pallet's appreciation for big stouts,

If you need a pallet for your big stouts, you might have a problem.

I think you mean palate.