ACROPHILIA 8: It's done, baby! Julia H was the champion!

Dolorous Gabe

WELCOME TO GAME 8 OF ACROPHILIA

(I am considering taking on players who only want to work out the clues - not create them - and putting them in a separate league table. This could potentially increase the number of participants. Ask me for details in either PM or on the thread)

Greetings fellow boarders, here begins the sign-up thread for the return of Acrophilia after a hiatus.

In this game, participants are given a character from ASOIAF to whom they will set about creating a clue from a choice of two randomly generated acronyms. Then the clues will be placed on the game thread for each player to try and work out. Each round will consist of characters who all fit a specific theme. Your mission will be to work out all the clues and the theme.

There will be 3 rounds and the player with the most points at the end will win the game.

Everyone is welcome to join in the fun, seasoned or green.

Game Play

Step 1:
Each player is randomly assigned a character who fits a theme along with two acronyms to choose from. The players will create their clue and send to the host. This will all be done through private messaging. If the clue contains character names, nicknames or references that can work equally well for another character your host will ask you to amend the clue. There will be a deadline for the creation of the clue.

Step 2:
Once the deadline is reached and all clues are in and acceptable, I will publish them on the thread and players will have a certain amount of time to work out the clues. I will also give out the characters and acronyms for the next round for you to work on/have in mind. You will have one preliminary set of answers to which I will tell you how many answers are correct but not which ones. You can also submit a preliminary theme guess, to which I will tell you whether your guess is correct, close, or incorrect. There will be no discussion regarding the clues on the thread (complaining about a clue is fine, but no in-depth discussion or details why). If you want to vent, vent in detail at the host in private messaging and if I deem your issue with the clue to have merit in relation to the game rules I may help you out in a small way.

Step 3:
Once the deadline has passed, the scores and standings will be published and the new clues will be posted on the game thread and the game continues on to the next round.

Scoring System

3 points for a correct answer to a clue.

4 points for working out the theme, with 2 points awarded for being close.

1 point will be received for each correct answer to your clue up to approximately two-thirds of the participants (exact cap number will be confirmed once all participants are signed up). Any correct answers beyond that cap will not receive points. This is to limit the advantage gained from having an extremely easy clue.

There will be no favourite clue voting.

If you would like to sign up, please send your host Dolorous Gabe a PM entitled "Acrophilia 8: [your board name]" and I will list you below. I have 13 places available due to a paucity of reasonably known characters that fit a couple of the themes. I can stretch it to 15 if players are willing to take on a couple of obscure characters in round 3.

If a number of people are interested in playing without creating clues, I can create a separate league table for people who only want to work out the clues. Please let me know either on the thread or in a PM if you would be interested in doing that.

PLAYERS

1. Castellan
2. Julia H.
3. yomi
4. lil' ghost
5. a shadow
6. Fragile Bird
7. Ser Not Appearing
8. Night'sQueen
9. Emmit
10. Stonehearted Snake
11. rocksniffer

Building up nicely!

Don't forget to send me a PM.

Also, remember that if we do make it to 13-15 players I'm willing to take on players who only want to answer the clues and put them in a separate league to those who want to create them as well.

Gonna cap it definitively at 13. The more clues there are to work out the harder it will be and longer it will take.

That's why I thought it might make sense to have two separate leagues, one for those only working the clues out and one for those creating the clues as well. It might be less time-consuming if there were no more than 8-10 clues to work out.

Let's see how much more interest comes in the next couple of days before making a decision.

So I'm probably going to give out the character clue assignments tomorrow and give you a while to come up with a clue.

I can still accept more players up until the first set of clues are published.

It sounds like we'll lose this thread entirely when the upgrade happens but it should be fine. Will we lose our PM threads as well? Does anyone know?

Archived