November reading thread!

Calibandar

Rereading Donaldson's Gap series - mainly because I'm really behind on the reviews on my site (been too busy at work to do much slacking off!) and I needed something long to keep me occupied till I catch up... unfortunately I love the series so much that I've zoomed through it in just a few days and only have half a book to go. I need something long and turgid now instead...

I just read Bangkok 8 by John Burdett. It's not the typical SFF book that I've been reading lately (this one would probably be shelved in the mystery section), but it's a damn good book. I highly recommend it. My full review is here.

Read the first three of Glen Cook's Black Company books. Not all time favs of mine by any means, but I enjoyed them.

Read the 4th too, the Silver Spike: that one stunk so I decided to quit while I was ahead with the rest of them. For once. :P

Shouldn't someone start December reading thread already? :)

Perfume - Patrick Suskind

Short, fun read with some beautiful description. 7/10

Oh my God! I could not sleep after this book for like three nights. Of course, I read it years ago (in college) when I still was very impressionable. Beautifully written but it's a tale of terror.

Been travelling - a couple airplane reads:

Stranger Things Happen - Kelly Link. Quirky, dark, stories, more horror than fantasy. Lots of musing on death and loss.

Forests of the Heart - Charles de Lint. I'd been meaning to read de Lint since I was young, but never got around to him. This seemed to be one of the better reviewed books, but I actually can't say I liked it much. The urban fantasy tropes seemed somewhat cliche, and not as well-handled as similar stuff by Neil Gaiman. Plus, I couldn't quite get excited about the prose or care much about the characters (though i was surprised at one or two of the deaths). I'll probably pick up The Onion Girl at some point, which sounds quote different plot-wis, and give de Lint another chance.

(Or maybe not.)

Read the first three of Glen Cook's Black Company books. Not all time favs of mine by any means, but I enjoyed them.

Read the 4th too, the Silver Spike: that one stunk so I decided to quit while I was ahead with the rest of them. For once. :P

Do you mean you quit reading the Black Company series, or just quit reading Silver Spike?

Archived