November reading thread!

Calibandar

I'm reading The Dragonebone Chair by Tad Williams. (Of course most of you will know it)

I have never read it and many others have :blush: . I'm a little disappointed so many people around here like to throw out spoilers about it with no warnings so I do know quite a few things, but the story itself is still there and that's all that matters. I have read Williams War of the Roses and enjoyed it.

I liked a lot Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn series (IMHO one of the best fantasy series I have read) , however, I didn't enjoy War of the Roses. It was not boring, but it felt somewhat shallow for me.

What My Mother Does Not Know - Sonya Sones

Eh. My reaction to this book is lukewarm. It certainly doesn't deserve to win the ALA award. Like most adult teenage-fiction authors, she falls into the trap of relying on stereotypes, watering down the teenage lifestyle and targeting the book at a specific niche.

5/10

Excession - Iain M. Banks

The weakest Banks novel I have read so far. The story didn't flow at all, the attempts at humor seemed forced and there were a couple of plotlines which just seemed like filler to pad the story upto a certain length. The only interesting bits were the interaction between minds. I found the premise of this work to be very weak and not deserving of a novel length extrapolation. All in all, a good read but considering that it was Banks, a big disappointment.

6/10

The Blade Itself - Joe Abercrombie

I am 2/3rd of the way in and it's one of those works (like Feist's SerpentWar or some of Martha Wells's fantasies) which tether on the edge of being pretty good and annoyingly bad. It certainly is a fast read though.

Edit: Finished TBI.

5/10

I finished Flags of our Fathers this weekend. A very good read about the six flagraisers of Iwo Jima. I thought it dragged on a little to long, but overall a very good book. I recommend to everyone. I thought about picking up AFFC for the first time, but decided against it. I will continue to wait until ADWD has been finished or released. I decided to read The Falls by Ian Rankin. It is the first book of his I have read. I have high hopes.

I just finished Song of Kali by Dan Simmons and Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut. Both are excellent books but as a result, I am now cheerfully awaiting the inevitable end of the world since mankind is obviously too depraved and stupid to live.

Currently reading Baudolino by Umberto Eco. I can't believe this is the same author that wrote Foucault's Pendulum. It's very lighthearted and fun but remains complex with a story within a story...within another story I think. Halfway through and enjoying every page.

Next up is Anno Dracula by Kim Newman (recommended several time on this board) and maybe Gates of Fire if I can find a copy.

Glad to hear that you liked it!!! Gates of Fire is one fucking amazing read.

agreed. i loved that book.

Currently reading or recently finished:

Idlewild by Nick Sagan. Matrix-ish, but only in concept, the world is very different. I undersand that this is a popular book, I have finished it and enjoyed it.

The Darkness that Comes Before by Bakker. Just started this one, no opinions yet.

Sympathy for the Devil by Kent Anderson. This book is about a young American that volunteers for the special forces during Vietnam and discovers that he has found a sort of home in the chaos, blood, and death of combat. I didn't particulary like the ending although I didn't hate it. I would recommend this book if you are intersted in a Vietnam story or just a realistic war story in general. Its written a little like a diary and I thought it was cool to put myself in the protagonists shoes. I don't always relate to the protagonist but I think I could see a bit of myself in the main character. Kind of about how some regular guys under the right circumstances can turn into a cold, calculating killer.

Scott

I'm reading The Trouble with Physics by Lee Smolin and Thirteen Moons by Charles Frazier

Thirteen Moons could be interesting, the new Frazier book, sofar it's received very miuxed reviews. Let me know what you think.

A Gathering Light by Jennifer Donnelly.

Poorly written drivel with inexcusably clunky moralising thrown in for good measure.

Why Don't Penguins Feet Freeze?

A compilation of the best bits from the reader's questions sections of the New Scientist. Interesting answers to questions you probably never thought to ask. Possibly the ideal bathroom book.

I seem to have had Hawkwood on my to-read list for a good few years now. Do report back and tell me if I should bump it up the list.

At the moment I'm not very good at finishing books. For this I blame Neal Stephenson for writing really long, really dense books that really do your head in at times. Yes, I am still reading The Confusion, two hundred pages to go (it hurts us!) and the pressure is on as my dad just returned Quicksilver so he'll probably want The Confusion next. Although I wouldn't be too sure about that. :P

I'm doing somewhat better with The Warrior Prophet, about a third of it left to go. At times I really enjoy this series and yet it manages to seriously bug me too. I'll just have to wait and see when I have finished the series if the things that are getting on my tits now turn out to be there for a good reason.

Just started Lewis's Out of the Silent Planet because I forgot that I was reading Bakker for a while. I thought that the twee language was going to make me throw this one across the room at first but he's still readable so far.

Also read about ten pages of Consider Phlebas at the weekend but I think I'll finish up with Bakker first.

I managed to pick up Sharpe's Prey from the store in Belfast Airport along with a copy of Mangrave of the Marshes - John Peel's autobiography ( finished by his wife and kids ) for €20 . Bargain find , especially as this is the last Sharpe book I had left to read . I am half way through , no one has attacked Denmark yet , and Sharpe is being rugged , manly , yet vulnerably emo after personal love tragedy , my favourite flavour . One of the reasons I love these books ( apart from Sean Bean's bum in Lady Chatterly's Lover having a formative effect on my adult sexuality ) is the historical note at the end works like a little test to see if one has spotted any and all innacurracies . I do love the tweaks .

I am waiting for a copy of the third book in his Viking/Saxon series , what my friend Toby and I refer to as What Uhtred did next ... I have really enjoyed the soul in torment-ness of the series BUT I don't get his devided loyalty . The Saxons are so lame and the Vikings are all relaxed and groovy , when not raping and pillaging .

All Hail Mr Ravenscroft , King of the Airwaves , the man personally responsible for a large part of my musical education . I believe this book can be termed fantasy as the authors , an entire family , freely admit that most of the anecdotes are complete misunderstandings of retellings of ancient legends , therefore just made up .

I read an edition of an uncut Stranger in a Strange Land by Heinlein , with a preface by his wife explaining that the book was cut drastically for it's first releasee . I plan to read an original published version so as to compare . I enjoyed the book and am left with the question . How come L. Ron Hubbard and the Scientologists thing seems so lame and yet Heinlein and the Church of All Worlds rocks ?

I read Kiss Kiss , a selection of dark , and 50's style slightly erotic tales from Roald Dahl and savoured every one . Also Murder isn't Nice , a collection edited by Hitchcock - lovin' it .

I read a publication by my daughter entitled The BFD , the big friendly dragon , it ruled , and yes she is feminist .

I imagine I shall slow down a little as I now have my DSL line connected and there are many episodes to download , ahh the BSG :)

Just finished Wintersmith by Terry Pratchett. It's one of the Discworld-for-kids-books featuring the drinking, scottish-speaking Nac Mac Feegle, 13 year old apprentice witch Tiffany, and Granny Weatherwax, which alone makes it worth a read.

I absolutely loved 3/4 of it. There is this philosophy only childrens' books possess - simple, imaginative, to-the-point, beautiful. So is the language and imagery - I'm still not over the concept of a Smith of Winter. Or a sesonal dance that is quite serious. Or Boffo, which is my neologism of choice. But that would be telling.

Unfortunately, the last quarter is rather rushed - a pretty buildup for a far too quick ending, imho. It's all nice and has good ideas, but it comes too fast in a book of magical slowness.

Nevertheless I can recommend it if you enjoy light fiction which wears its magic and philosophy on it's sleeves - it's a Discworld Fairy Tale with a sensible approach to magic [if you couldn't get the hang of you're-not-a-witch-if-you-didn't-spend-100-quid-on-your-equipment paganism, you'll love Pratchett's down-to-earth witchcraft] and little blue pictsies who mostly drink, cuss, fight, and speak Scots. Mistress Weatherwax is her grumpy self, Death has his cameo, and we learn that being a hero means to read Principles of Modern Accounting. While adding dragons because it is dull.

It's maybe only a 3 stars in 5, but nevertheless I loved most of the book.

Adrian Mole: The Wilderness Years - Sue Townsend

A delightfully funny novel. I tore through the whole book right there at the spot in the library; the humor is very quirky and Adrian Mole, of course, is a complete legend.

7/10

The Lies of Locke Lamora - Scott Lynch

all I have to say is that this book more then lives upto its reputation. can't wait to read the second book.

8.5/10

Finished The Fall of Carthage. The Punic Wars by Adrian Goldsworthy last week. It was rather good. Goldsworthy has a good grasp of military history, and isn't bogged down or hinderen by pre-conceived concepts. Fuller's "Julius Caesar. Man, Soldier, Tyrant" for instance is heavily disposed against Caesar, because he thought the Gallic War was like the First World War, with the soldiers dug in and defending their trenches. Goldsworthy has none of that anachronistic nonsense, but a lot of good sense, which makes this book worth the effort.

I'm more than halfway through The Roman Army at War, 100 BC-200 AD also by Goldsworthy. I had that one before I had "The Punic Wars", but somehow I never got around to it. When "The Punic Wars" proved to be a good book, I decided to pick up "The Roman Army at War" as well.

After that, I think maybe AFFC again, or maybe Jim Bradbury, The Medieval Siege, which has received very good criticisms.

Archived