Should tripping be banned?

Wise Fool

Possible argument against:

• It's dangerous, depending on the specific substance(s) used, possibly physically or merely mentally. Whereas most recreational drugs will have a fairly predictable effect on behaviors, the trippy ones carry people off into worlds where they may or may not be able to interact safely with reality, displaying mental disorder symptoms like delusions or hallucinations or who-knows-what. You can't trust the general public with that, any more than you could trust them with biological weaponry!
  • Drugs are bad and lead to other drugs and that's bad because drugs are bad and should be illegal because of badness.
  • THEY WILL FIND OUT THE TRUTH

Possible argument in favor:

• Holy shit balls I mean do you even know? Do you even know? Let me ask you: do you even know? Because I don't think you know. But maybe you do, a little bit. Maybe you know full well. Still, I think most people don't know yet. That there is a vast and wonderful universe about which there are many mind-blowing things to discover. That this discovery is a mind-blowing journey of epic proportions. That the more you learn, the more you know how little you know, and this makes everything you do wind up learning ever precious. So precious. Orgasmic gems of sacred knowledge about reality. The true nature of it all! God! And everything! And how everything is one thing! And that's reality! You have to know, you have to Gnosis-know this kind of thing to really feel the impact, and that's where the trip, if done properly, comes into play. Then you might become capable of putting yourself into a position where you may be more prepared to accept certain facts about reality which may be presented to you by entities and/or circumstances. Okay okay let's back up here, maybe none of this interests you, I know it doesn't interest me in the slightest. It's boring, really. Blah blah, we've all heard theories about things, or vague ideas, and all that, before. What we haven't all had is that momentary ka-slam blooey impact of sudden revelatory knowledge! That kind that can't even be put into words meaningfully and so I don't know why I am typing this
  • It's fun and safer than a lot of legal drugs.
  • THEY WILL FIND OUT THE TRUTH

Appendix A

Just to be very clear I would like to illuminate certain areas about which I might possibly be somewhat vague. This is because it is difficult to know things when there is a distinct lack of data available. The human mind can of course try to impose some meaning or order to a lack of information, but this usually winds up being somewhat nonsensical and possibly even symptomatic of mental disorder. Which is why sensory deprivation can be used not only as some new-age means of rest or relaxation or mood therapy or psychedelic journey of sorts, but as a means of torture. The human mind, when left in a vacuum and given nothing to consume, consumes itself. You might just go out of your mind. What might happen then is you might come to realize you are not your mind, since, being out of it, you have a somewhat more detached perspective of your mind and your self. A mind is a terrible thing to waste, of course, but so is a body, and the body is much like the mind - a part of you, who you really are, but not the complete part. Theoretically you could live without your body, if technology develops the ability to upload information from the brain to digital data without destroying it. I can't see how that would be possible but you never know. And we already know you can live without your mind. So it would seem the self is at the very least the sum of mind and the body; the mental and the physical aspects resulting from your biological nature BUT WHAT DOES THIS ALL MEAN, and I will tell you I am not exactly sure but it's all quite wonderful. Hope that clears it all up what I mean back there about that thing I wasn't clear about.

There could be an anti-tripping brigade. Going around making sure no tiles or bricks are loose, all walkways are unobstructed, teaching generations of schoolchildren the importance of watching where you're going. I would be on the anti-tripping side in that case. People need to be more aware.

Of course one way to become more aware is to take a trip. So the anti-tripping brigade ought to be pro-tripping as well.

I will help set up the two committees to enforce tripping for both concepts of tripping. First we obviously need the annoying bastards that will go around sticking their legs out, and for the other group we will need those that would need to put their necks out (though in some sense it is likely that they already to). In both cases we will have both concepts of tripping covered.

is there not a third definition for Tripping?   Although rarely used can it not be used to describe someone who is currently on a school / coach  trip?     (or other kind of trips that involve psychically going somewhere)

Indeed. It is probably wise not to go tripping while you're tripping since that might cause tripping.

Archived