The martial arts appreciation thread

Jacques the Japer

That's pretty distinct from "practitioners."

I used to train pretty seriously. My heart belongs to escrima -- initially Pekiti-Tirsia, but really found my sea legs with Ilustrisimo -- but my original training was in Wado-ryu karate. I have dabbled in a bunch of others, including Isshin-ryu, jujitsu, and tai chi.

Edit: Haven't trained in a while. My teacher moved away and I never found another teacher I liked as much. I miss it but don't know when I could find time these days.

True, it's a different topic.

I practiced Muay Thai for a while, it was a lot of fun. Chose it because it suits me, full contact, a natural (for lack of a better way to put it) fighting style. I can't do any wrestling.

I've been doing Tang Soo Do for 3 years or so, and it also includes jujitsu.  I have a "light" contact school which I like since I don't want to actually hurt my classmates.  

I love it!  One step sparring and jujitsu are my favorite parts.  I hate free sparring with a passion though (one step is kind of choreographed...the person takes one step towards you and throws a punch with his right hand at your face, and you respond with a wide variety of moves that end up with the opponent on the ground.  it's kind of slow and awkward with the lower belts, but by time you reach brown belt, it is a lot more realistic)

I've been a wrestler most of my life. I stopped coaching a while ago and switched to reffing but I had to give it up because my kids are into skiing now and the timing does not work out. The only thing i look forward to when the kids grow up is to get back into it.

I wrestled collegiate and freestyle from 5 to 18. Did a bit of Greco-Roman but lacked the low center of gravity and upper body strength to really excel at it.

Truly I owe wrestling everything. It is what gave me discipline and a work ethic I took to cooking. Technique is everything.

20 years since leaving the sport I can still run through every move I ever learned.

Are their martial arts practitioners around? Sure there are, this is the place where you can speak your mind, discuss the pros and cons of various arts Aikido,Judo.Krav Maga, TKD,BJJ, Muay Thai MMA, HEMA. Come one come all

I trained no-gi BJJ and catch wrestling for a time, in the process of starting back up. The membership fee is set up so if you do more than 2 classes a week it's more cost effective to just pay for unlimited classes, so i might stay behind for some pad work and get back into Mauy Thai which i did for a couple of years once a week over 15 years ago!

I much prefer grappling it's a lot softer on my body, although in the right school it should be ok, some schools are a bit too full on contact for me.

I notice there is a wrestling class as well, a very under-rated art in my opinion, and i'm not in a country where it is even a minority sport.

Same here merchant, wrestling is something ive only ever seen Olympians do in my country, virtually zero presence in most schools unless you're talking about the handful of private schools in the country that most could never dream of affording.

I have noticedits picked up popularity though, with clubs popping up in some of the major cities. Il be doing my honours degree next year which means il probably have to move to one of the bigger metro areas and im interested in pursuing the sport while im there.

Would you recommend it for a beginner past the age of twenty?

I'd encourage anyone with an interest to try it and see how it goes. If you feel fit enough to grapple (no injuries or bad knees etc) then give it a try.

I'm 36 and considering taking up the class. I'm a total beginner myself so don't put too much weight in what i say about wrestling, but to my eyes it looks fun and useful(just look at MMA). Plus with the way clubs payment works, it wouldn't cost me anymore as it would be covered in the monthly payment anyway.

The people above also seemed to get a lot out of it. I'd see what schools are available and check out their timetables, my experience is schools teach a wide variety of arts now. Also if you plan on going to 3 classes or more a week generally it's cheaper to just take the unlimited option (This is the case for all 6 schools near me that i know of) therefore if you have the time can try out the different classes. See what suits.

My son earned his first degree black belt in Taekwondo just after he turned 8 (almost a year ago).

I think I'd like to learn a practical martial art for self defense*.  Whenever I watch him training with the adult black belts, it looks like it takes far too much time for very limited practical application.  It's mostly a social/fitness club for those people, and most aren't even all that fit.  I suspect a practical self defense class could offer as much in 6-12 months as 5 years of Taekwondo.

*But living in Chicago, the only real threat I need to worry about is from gun violence.  Unarmed muggings seem like a quaint notion, but you never know.

Iskaral: it really varies by school. I think TKD suffers more from this problem than most, owing to what I consider a very aggressive expansion push with inadequate standards -- Krav Maga suffers from similar issues for similar reasons -- but there can be good schools.

The usual practical unarmed combatives recommendations are Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, or both in combination, which is a common offering. I love my escrima, but it tends to feature a lot of weapons work that probably isn't practical for you, and the unarmed stuff tends to be similar to Muay Thai anyway. There are some other options, but MT and BJJ are likely to be the most widely available, and Chicago should have plenty of good schools.

The thing about any martial art which is at least halfway practical is that youl find many movements and techniques that tend to overlap. This is simply because irrespective of time, place or genetic makeup, the human body has and will always work very much the same.

Medieval manuscripts concerning hand to hand fighting show movements which very closely approximate that you'd see shown in a US Army manual for instance (Id post the links, but haven't figured out quite how to do it yet, maybe il edit)

Personal example - I did aikido for a few years and was surprised to find that the self defence techniques my TKD instructor taught me had many similarities regarding wrist control ect. Last year I partook in a martial arts showcase on my campus and found that the Judo practitioners had many of the same exercises we had.

Try this out for yourself,-watch any video on youtube where practitioners from different arts spar with one another, Whatever discipline they hail from, most fights degenerate into basic boxing matches with the occasional kick put it, often ending when the fighters go to ground and the ones with Judo, Bjj and wrestling experience come into their element.   

What works on people works, and what doesn't doesn't., martial arts just train your body to know the difference under pressure

Thanks for the tip Ini.
Are they focused on learning forms or do they move more directly into practical application?

To my knowledge, MT and BJJ classes typically do not have forms. My first BJJ class I was rolling with others that day.

Thanks for the tip Ini.
Are they focused on learning forms or do they move more directly into practical application?

No forms in BJJ. Most classes will work on a format of technique drills followed by sparring from day one. I recommend it strongly, both as a sport and for self-defense. I've been practicing it on and off for eleven years now. Once you've got the bug you might take breaks here and there but always come back to it.

I wrestled collegiate and freestyle from 5 to 18. Did a bit of Greco-Roman but lacked the low center of gravity and upper body strength to really excel at it.

Truly I owe wrestling everything. It is what gave me discipline and a work ethic I took to cooking. Technique is everything.

20 years since leaving the sport I can still run through every move I ever learned.

Never did much Greco. I don't like to go upstairs much for fear of getting tossed :)

I agree with you about owing wrestling a lot. I was pretty undisciplined until I got into wrestling. It taught me how to deal with adversity and most importantly I learned that the work you put into practice translates into results in a match. The guy that worked harder and wanted it more usually won the match. That applies to many aspects of life.

Archived