Unsullied vs Golden Company.

Abdallah

Golden company easily a mixed force of cavalry, archers, crossbowmen and heavy infantry versus outdated unarmoured spearmen who lack strenght due to the whole castration thing.

Pretty sure it already happened anyway with the golden company winning and sacking the city the unsullied were defending.

which city?

People here are kinda ridiculous with the unsullied hate so you won't get an unbiased answer.

Its obvious from what we are shown that many wars/battles quite recently have involved both unsullied and these sorts of free mercenary companies. If unsullied were "useless" people would stop using them. They still use them, which means they are not useless. It's really that simple.

I'd also encourage people not to read too much into GRRMs soecifics on military tech and try to compare to real world tech. It's clearly not his forte and he typically skips any detailed descriptions because he KNOWS that about himself as a writer.

Ok as to OPs question, I think the fact that the GC are a mixed force will give them the edge, all else equal. Unsullied probably can use bows (why not), but it's unlikely they are particularly good ahorse so would lack the maneuverability / flexibility the GC could muster.

In GRRMverse, Unsullied are meant to be a strong core of a force - not the sole component.

I think the Unsullied would still be very useful in wars in westeros. They'd be perfect for Pikemen. There are numerous times where the Westerosi infantry, made up of mere peasants formed strong spear walls, the unsullied could do that, but far better.  

People here are kinda ridiculous with the unsullied hate so you won't get an unbiased answer.

Its obvious from what we are shown that many wars/battles quite recently have involved both unsullied and these sorts of free mercenary companies. If unsullied were "useless" people would stop using them. They still use them, which means they are not useless. It's really that simple.

I'd also encourage people not to read too much into GRRMs soecifics on military tech and try to compare to real world tech. It's clearly not his forte and he typically skips any detailed descriptions because he KNOWS that about himself as a writer.

Ok as to OPs question, I think the fact that the GC are a mixed force will give them the edge, all else equal. Unsullied probably can use bows (why not), but it's unlikely they are particularly good ahorse so would lack the maneuverability / flexibility the GC could muster.

In GRRMverse, Unsullied are meant to be a strong core of a force - not the sole component.

very good answer.  The golden company is very well balanced. 

Agreed on the Unsullied line. They are good light infantry and obviously they are good or they wouldn't have the excellent reputation that they have.

That being said yes the Golden Company would win due to the combined forces aspect that others above have mentioned.

Because they aren't strong enough.

Yeah but theres not that much on the battle. who knows how many unsullied defended the city, if any. 

At least 3,000 apparently.

Since inside the city the Golden Company can't use heavy cavalry or elephants particularly well it should be an advantage to the Unsullied, not a disadvantage.

Agreed on the Unsullied line. They are good light infantry and obviously they are good or they wouldn't have the excellent reputation that they have.

That being said yes the Golden Company would win due to the combined forces aspect that others above have mentioned.

Do they have an excellent reputation though? I mean the Golden Company seems fairly split on whether they would actually be that useful. The only famous victory attributed to them is the Battle of Qohor, and the Dothraki were just ridiculously stupid there.

Do they have an excellent reputation though? I mean the Golden Company seems fairly split on whether they would actually be that useful. The only famous victory attributed to them is the Battle of Qohor, and the Dothraki were just ridiculously stupid there.

I want to believe the unsullied are as crap as they should be and the guy selling them was just a good salesman who had 3 uninformed foreigners buying from him but in story I think they are meant to be actually great warriors and will be when dany uses then in Westeros.

Well we are told they have an excellent reputation. I am still waiting to see it. We see them early on as guards at Illyrio's manse in Pentos. Illyrio strikes me is someone who would pay for the best.

As the saying goes show don't tell.  I am still waiting to see how they do in the Battle of Fire to really have a good or bad opinion on their prowess.

Well we are told they have an excellent reputation. I am still waiting to see it. We see them early on as guards at Illyrio's manse in Pentos. Illyrio strikes me is someone who would pay for the best.

As the saying goes show don't tell.  I am still waiting to see how they do in the Battle of Fire to really have a good or bad opinion on their prowess.

Illyrio's guards are bad examples because he allowed them to get fat and they are just palace guards, a few dozen largely inexperienced, probably fairly old, overweight eunuchs won't defend his manse against any serious force

TWOW spoilers

[spoiler] The Battle of Fire is basically won by the Windblown, Ironborn, Second Sons, Barristan's cavalry, and the dragons before the Unsullied even form up. We won't see much of them in action in that battle most likely. [/spoiler]

Because they aren't strong enough.

Strength isn't everything (and besides eunuchs aren't quite as weak and anemic as people imagine). If the Unsullied really have the unbreakable morale advertised then they're quite formidable in a pike block- mostly because your average mixed unit of retainers and mercenaries will rout after taking 10-20% casualties while the Unsullied will outlast them.  

That said the Golden Company is an excellent mixed force comprised of veterans so it should beat an equal number of Unsullied.

Agree. While this is one of those cases that contradict the old "show, not tell", I think some basic assumptions can be done by readers if the author states them. GRRM has given us some history background of how the Unsullied are, if used well, a very capable force.

Nevertheless, I still thing the GC is better, and not just because the GC has elephants and JonCon.

Illyrio's guards are bad examples because he allowed them to get fat and they are just palace guards, a few dozen largely inexperienced, probably fairly old, overweight eunuchs won't defend his manse against any serious force

TWOW spoilers

[spoiler] The Battle of Fire is basically won by the Windblown, Ironborn, Second Sons, Barristan's cavalry, and the dragons before the Unsullied even form up. We won't see much of them in action in that battle most likely. [/spoiler]

You mistake my meaning about Illyrio. It doesn't make sense that Illyrio wouldn't buy the best guards available.  He has let them get fat and I hope it comes back to bite him in the ass.

Archived