Heavy Metal 9: through Bruce is salvation

MercenaryChef

Discovered Eldritch yesterday : some solid Power / Trash Metal (a little bit in the vein of Iced Earth) although a bit cheesy by moments (but, well, that's Power Metal...)

Also discovered that song ! For those of you who enjoy Sabaton and Joakim Broden (who makes a contribution here). Some Power Metal ballad (love me some good ol' Power ballads, when well done they are the best !) but that gets really kick ass as it unfolds !

• 2 weeks later...

Guys. Holy shit, this new Abyssal is just flat out amazing

Man, I'm listening to it right now. What a coincidence :P I've been going through his entire discography while I work. Amazing stuff, though thee production makes it a little bit incoherent at times. I prefer the sound of Denouement a bit more.

So Satan's Hallow just put on their Facebook that 

a.) they are about enter the studio to record their first full length, and

b.) The Horror b/w Satan's Hallow 7" is now available to order them

https://m.facebook.com/satanshallow

#supportnewmusic #sofuckingstoked

It is now officially THAT TIME - I'm talking of course about my Best metal of 2015! Managed to get this narrowed down to 12 top favorites that I'll comment on, plus several others that I felt merited strong consideration because it's all good music that deserves a listen. Without further ado and only kinda-sorta in order:

Top Favorites:

Amiensus - Ascension (progressive/melodic death metal):  My album of the year. This band's full length debut was one of my favorites of 2013, and now they've followed it up with this tour de force. Again they managed to invoke a number of obvious influences without sounding exactly like any of them, thus creating a beautifully familiar yet unique sound. Favorite track -  "What Words Create"

Native Construct - Quiet World (prog metal):  One of the best pure prog debuts I've ever heard. Arising from the same stomping grounds as Dream Theater, these plucky college kids carved their own niche in the prog landscape with this flawless gem. It's weird, wonderful and meaningful and you need to listen to it. Favorite Track - "Spark of the Archon"

Ensiferum - One Man Army (Viking metal):  Old favorites of mine (see username) who blasted into 2015 with a fun and spirited set that recalled some of their best albums from years past. Favorite Track - "Two of Spades"

Myrkur - (black metal):  Much talked about and little agreed-upon. Some think that Amalie Bruun's one-woman black metal project is a mere gimmick. I strongly disagree - this is kick-ass music, derivative of 90s first wave BM to be sure, but with a dreamy, melodic quality that sets it apart from everything else. Favorite Track - "Onde Børn"

Gloryhammer - Space 1992: Rise of the Chaos Wizards (farcical power metal):  I'll admit it - I thought these dudes would be a one-trick pony. 2013's Tales from the Kingdom of Fife was one of my favorites that year. Surely they couldn't top it by going even further over the top? Witness this tale of powerful wizards, nefarious space goblins and a superheroic 1,000 year old Scottish movie star set in THE DISTANT FUTURE OF THE YEAR 1992. Favorite Track - "Apocalypse 1992"

Pyramaze - Disciples of the Sun (power/prog):  A solid outfit throughout their history, this bunch has finally found the right vocalist to take them to the top of the power/prog heap. A hard driving, inspiring collection of metal anthems with real lyrical significance. Favorite Track - "Genetic Process"

Blind Guardian - Beyond the Red Mirror (power metal):  This one didn't hook me at first, but with repeated listens I grew to love it. This album is a sequel to 1995's Imaginations From the Other Side and in many ways eclipses that one. Favorite Track - "Grand Parade"

Enshine - Singularity (cosmic-themed doomdeath):  Not an absolute masterpiece like the first Enshine album, but still some of the best doomdeath you'll hear. Between this and his stuff with Slumber and Atoma, I'm convinced that Jari Lindholm is the master of this subgenre. Favorite Track - "Resurgence"

Panopticon - Autumn Eternal  (black metal):  Austin Lunn's one-man project is the gold standard of USBM at this point in time. Less folksy than some of his prior work but no less inspiring and brilliant. Favorite Track - "Into the North Woods"

Symphony X  - Underworld (power/prog):  Their best album since The Odyssey. In this humble fan's opinion, despite being one of the most talented bands in the world Symphony X doesn't always quite put it all together. Here, they do. Favorite Track - "Without You"

Nightwish - Endless Forms Most Beautiful (symphonic metal):  This is a really fine album that might not even make my top 5 favorite Nightwish albums, but that says more to my Nightwish fandom than the quality of the record. Floor Jansen is magnificent as always in her studio debut with the band, though it feels as if composer/mastermind Tuomas Holopainen could have done more to showcase her transcendent vocal talent. But fuck it, it's still awesome as hell.  Favorite Track - "Endless Forms Most Beautiful"

Iron Maiden - The Book of Souls (heavy metal): An uneven record, even by modern Maiden standards. Much better than The Final Frontier but not quite up to A Matter of Life and Death in my estimation. There are a few clunkers, granted. But the stuff that works, really works. Favorite Track - "The Red and the Black"

Others considered:

Sulphur Aeon - Gateway to the Antisphere

Fen - Carrion Skies

Atten Ash - The Hourglass

Alda - Passage

Ashbringer - Vacant

Horrendous - Anareta

Leah - Kings and Queens

Ouroboros - Emanations

Saxon - Battering Ram

Unleash the Archers - Time Stands Still

A Sound of Thunder - Tales from the Deadside