Heavy Metal 9: through Bruce is salvation

MercenaryChef

On 1/20/2016 at 6:53 AM, Gears of the Beast said:

So back in November one of my favourite bands - The Ghost Inside was involved in a pretty bad accident while touring. Their tour bus collided head on with a truck, both drivers were killed. All members of the band are alive but are pretty fucked up. Lots of *bad* injuries including an amputated leg, the only member to return home so far is the lead guitarist who had 8 surgeries. Months in American hospitals having surgery after surgery as well as their prospects for the foreseeable future (physical therapy, no touring) has put them in a pretty bad spot financially. Their record label announced that they won't take any cut of album sales and it will all go to the band. 

I've seen these guys live, I've met the vocalist. They're honestly some of the nicest guys in the metalcore scene. If you feel like buying some music go for it. If you're rich and just want to give a bunch of money go here

Already done this. Love The Ghost Inside. Such a brilliant live band.

I didn't listened to a lot of metal this year, but here's my favorites:

1) Deafheaven - New Bermuda
It's probably the band I listened the most this year, the combo of black metal and post-metal is just perfect for me.

2) Paradise Lost - The Plague Within
I really like their older stuff, but the last ten years were bit meh. This one was solid though, really enjoyed it.

3) Korpiklaani - Noita
Must have listened to the title song dozens of times, really good. Their concert last month was awesome as always too.

4) Swallow The Sun - Songs of the North I, II & III
Who does a triple album? Got this one recently, but I am thinking it's easily their best album. Also saw them live for the first time this year.

On February 4, 2016 at 7:08 AM, Xray the Enforcer said:

This is as awesome as it looks. Just some pure mid-80s heavy metal/hard rock worship that will make your next party or gaming session 1000X better.

Fuck yeah! Been rocking that pretty constantly the past couple days

its like if a bunch of the guys down at your local comic/gaming shop turned out to be actually Thin Lizzy.

11 hours ago, Hrokkan of Skagos said:

Ominous Doctrines of the Perpetual Mystical Macrocosm by Inquisition is getting spun alot by me lately. Can't get enough.

Love this album. I've seen Inquisition a number of times, and tracks off of that album just bring the killer atmosphere. Desolate Funeral Chant is particularly ass-kicking in a live setting. 

3 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

Love this album. I've seen Inquisition a number of times, and tracks off of that album just bring the killer atmosphere. Desolate Funeral Chant is particularly ass-kicking in a live setting. 

They don't use bass either, I hear, which is interesting. Definitely cool what kind of music they can make with only guitar, drums, and vocals.

What is your opinion on the vocals? The first time I listened to Inquisition I couldn't really look past them, I mean I laughed out loud, but now they don't sound as strange to me.

Yep. They've been a two-piece for a number of years. I always liked Inquisition's vocals -- Dagon sounds like he's some kind of malevolent undead alien. I find traditional BM shrieked vocals (especially the ultra-tinny and dry production) to be pretty meh, but I know that others find that treatment essential to their enjoyment of BM. Me, I'd rather listen to Dagon, or MkM from Antaeus/Aosoth any day over that.

I'll need to give that a listen on my headphones before I can make the call. One of the great things about Gin was the drum sound (and overall production), and I can't tell on these speakers if they managed to capture that again. But color me cautiously optimistic. Not sure I can see them live again, though. The last time was so incredibly fucked up and uncomfortable (it felt like disaster tourism), I think that's how I want to remember it forever.

The members of the Iranian metal band Confess have been in isolation for a few months and may face the death penalty for blasphemy in their country... fuck Iran, fuck religion (again and again and again, and that will never be said enough).

http://www.metalsucks.net/2016/02/10/members-of-iranian-band-jailed-could-be-executed-for-playing-metal/

Nothing we can really do but spread the word, I think... 

Archived