Heavy Metal 9: through Bruce is salvation

MercenaryChef

It is now officially THAT TIME - I'm talking of course about my Best metal of 2015! Managed to get this narrowed down to 12 top favorites that I'll comment on, plus several others that I felt merited strong consideration because it's all good music that deserves a listen. Without further ado and only kinda-sorta in order:

Top Favorites:

Amiensus - Ascension (progressive/melodic death metal):  My album of the year. This band's full length debut was one of my favorites of 2013, and now they've followed it up with this tour de force. Again they managed to invoke a number of obvious influences without sounding exactly like any of them, thus creating a beautifully familiar yet unique sound. Favorite track -  "What Words Create"

Native Construct - Quiet World (prog metal):  One of the best pure prog debuts I've ever heard. Arising from the same stomping grounds as Dream Theater, these plucky college kids carved their own niche in the prog landscape with this flawless gem. It's weird, wonderful and meaningful and you need to listen to it. Favorite Track - "Spark of the Archon"

Ensiferum - One Man Army (Viking metal):  Old favorites of mine (see username) who blasted into 2015 with a fun and spirited set that recalled some of their best albums from years past. Favorite Track - "Two of Spades"

Myrkur - (black metal):  Much talked about and little agreed-upon. Some think that Amalie Bruun's one-woman black metal project is a mere gimmick. I strongly disagree - this is kick-ass music, derivative of 90s first wave BM to be sure, but with a dreamy, melodic quality that sets it apart from everything else. Favorite Track - "Onde Børn"

Gloryhammer - Space 1992: Rise of the Chaos Wizards (farcical power metal):  I'll admit it - I thought these dudes would be a one-trick pony. 2013's Tales from the Kingdom of Fife was one of my favorites that year. Surely they couldn't top it by going even further over the top? Witness this tale of powerful wizards, nefarious space goblins and a superheroic 1,000 year old Scottish movie star set in THE DISTANT FUTURE OF THE YEAR 1992. Favorite Track - "Apocalypse 1992"

Pyramaze - Disciples of the Sun (power/prog):  A solid outfit throughout their history, this bunch has finally found the right vocalist to take them to the top of the power/prog heap. A hard driving, inspiring collection of metal anthems with real lyrical significance. Favorite Track - "Genetic Process"

Blind Guardian - Beyond the Red Mirror (power metal):  This one didn't hook me at first, but with repeated listens I grew to love it. This album is a sequel to 1995's Imaginations From the Other Side and in many ways eclipses that one. Favorite Track - "Grand Parade"

Enshine - Singularity (cosmic-themed doomdeath):  Not an absolute masterpiece like the first Enshine album, but still some of the best doomdeath you'll hear. Between this and his stuff with Slumber and Atoma, I'm convinced that Jari Lindholm is the master of this subgenre. Favorite Track - "Resurgence"

Panopticon - Autumn Eternal  (black metal):  Austin Lunn's one-man project is the gold standard of USBM at this point in time. Less folksy than some of his prior work but no less inspiring and brilliant. Favorite Track - "Into the North Woods"

Symphony X  - Underworld (power/prog):  Their best album since The Odyssey. In this humble fan's opinion, despite being one of the most talented bands in the world Symphony X doesn't always quite put it all together. Here, they do. Favorite Track - "Without You"

Nightwish - Endless Forms Most Beautiful (symphonic metal):  This is a really fine album that might not even make my top 5 favorite Nightwish albums, but that says more to my Nightwish fandom than the quality of the record. Floor Jansen is magnificent as always in her studio debut with the band, though it feels as if composer/mastermind Tuomas Holopainen could have done more to showcase her transcendent vocal talent. But fuck it, it's still awesome as hell.  Favorite Track - "Endless Forms Most Beautiful"

Iron Maiden - The Book of Souls (heavy metal): An uneven record, even by modern Maiden standards. Much better than The Final Frontier but not quite up to A Matter of Life and Death in my estimation. There are a few clunkers, granted. But the stuff that works, really works. Favorite Track - "The Red and the Black"

Others considered:

Sulphur Aeon - Gateway to the Antisphere

Fen - Carrion Skies

Atten Ash - The Hourglass

Alda - Passage

Ashbringer - Vacant

Horrendous - Anareta

Leah - Kings and Queens

Ouroboros - Emanations

Saxon - Battering Ram

Unleash the Archers - Time Stands Still

A Sound of Thunder - Tales from the Deadside

Atma Weapon - The Fields Where Nothing Grows

Claret Ash - The Cleansing

Above the Earth - Every Moment

Queensryche - Condition Human

Wilderun - Sleep at the Edge of the Earth

Phantasma - The Deviant Hearts

Valkyrie - Shadows

nice! a few things I'll have to check out. Pretty much got my list down, just working on little write ups whener I get a few free moments

Damn, Ferrum, the title track is your fav song of the Nightwish ?

It's the least interesting one for me ! ^^

I didn't love it at first but it came to be my favorite. Must say though, it was a hard choice between that one, "My Walden" and "Edema Ruh." Honestly, if not for the monkey noises it would probably be "The Greatest Show on Earth."  :D  But I can't quite forgive the monkey noises...

I didn't love it at first but it came to be my favorite. Must say though, it was a hard choice between that one, "My Walden" and "Edema Ruh." Honestly, if not for the monkey noises it would probably be "The Greatest Show on Earth."  :D  But I can't quite forgive the monkey noises...

"My Walden" is probably my favorite, though "Edema Ruh" is pretty close too. Both are just insanely catchy.

• 2 weeks later...

Cant believe there is not a LEMMY !!!!! shout out on this thread, so here it is.

"My Walden" is probably my favorite, though "Edema Ruh" is pretty close too. Both are just insanely catchy.

"Yours is an Empty Hope", "Elan" and "Weak Fantasy" are still my favorites of the album.
But "The Greatest Show" is something else... I can understand that the wild-life sounds can bother some, but I find this cathedral of a song simply otherwordly (ironic for a song about life on our good ol' planet) and perfect.

Here's my best of, roughly in order with my absolute favorite at the bottom.

Tribulation - Children of the Night

Vi - De Prestegis De Angelorum 

God Mother - Mekbehov (furious crust/d-beat, this year's Nails/Trap Them)

Expander - Laws of Power/Expander EP (holy fuck, sheer party music. Kind of a blackened, slightly punky thrash. Makes me want to skateboard, and yell loud, and piss outside and drink so much fucking beer and light fires)

Melechesh - Enki

Mgła - Exercises In Futility

High On Fire - Luminiferous 

Windhand - Grief's Infernal Flower (I loved Soma, but I'll admit it plays like a long hypnotic single stoner track. This is a proper album, and all the stronger for it. More varied, more dynamic, cleaner production that helps to highlight the singers pretty mesmerizing vocals... All in all phenomenal psychedelic doom)

Abyssal - Antikatastaseis (suffocating, crushing murky death that yields layers of intricate songwriting almost hinting at Godspeed and Slint. This album very nearly brought a tear to my eye in its unholy glory)

Vastum - Hole Below

Rebel Wizard - All of it (Because they put out around 5 releases this year, from single to mini-LP length. And they all fucking rule. Seemingly tongue in cheek song titles bely a very real brand of not-fucking-around classic heavy metal/NWOBHM played through a crusty black metal filter. Amazingly fun)

Satan's Hallow - The Horror b/w Satan's Hallow (classic head banging fist pumping heavy metal done just fucking right. Two tracks of sheer bliss. Cannot wait for a full-length)

Ares Kingdom - The Unburiable Dead
(holy shit how have I never got into these guys before?! This shit is like, the very essence of metal)

Horrendous - Anareta

Speedtrap - Straight Shooter (if anyone were to tell me 6-12 months ago my choice for album of the year would be from a throwback speed metal band, I'd have laughed in their face. But this is a fucking flawless record; fun, heavy, fast and not a single weak spot. Imagine the best of Motörhead, Judas Preist and the best of G'n'R, smashed together and sped up by 20%. Reaches the pure pleasure zones of the brain, sonic cocaine without the comedown/hangover)

My preferred albums from 2015

Just Put That Album On Repeat. Thank You.
Mgla -- Exercises in Futility 
Modern black metal with the best drumming I've heard in the subgenre (and some of the best in metal, overall). I had a shitty year, so an album that starts "The great truth is there isn't one" is right up my alley. I cannot overstate how much I love this album and its predecessor. A classic.

They Don't Make Guitar Solos Like This Anymore (and it's a goddamned shame):
Horisont -- Odyssey
Hard rock. This band used eldritch magic to open a portal straight from 1974 to today, and dropped this album in our laps. The guitar solo in "Bad News" (linked above, solo starts at 1:53) makes me cackle with glee every time I hear it. Seriously, you need this album (and the amazing album art) in your life. Get it or be forever a false.

Gimme Some Feral Thrash Metal
Sadistic Ritual -- Edge of the Knife
Old school vicious thrash. I don't even remember how I came across this band, but I am glad I did. Perfect for when you need to scratch the Morbid Saint itch. 

Bluesy Heavy Metal That Makes RRL Tear the Sleeves Off of His Shirts and Ride Around in an IROC-Z
Satan's Hallow -- s/t
Bluesy, rocking heavy metal from a nascent Chicago-based outfit. I love this demo so much, I make everyone listen to it. Don't believe me? Believe the lobster.

Death Metal With Brains (that are not meant to be eaten)
House of Atreus -- The Spear and the Ichor That Follows
Fantastic mix of old-old-school death metal and NWOBHM. I've been following this band since I blind-bought their demo cassette years ago. They love Shakespeare and Greek tragedies and so should you.

Death Metal With Brains (that are not meant to be eaten, WWI Edition)
Ares Kingom -- The Unburiable Dead
Death metal. Born from the ashes of many bands, the most notable of which was Order From Chaos. Intense riffage and complex song structure. Criminally underrated.

Lemmy Is Dead, Long Live Lemmy
Speedtrap -- Straight Shooter
High octane speed metal from Finland (of course it is) reminiscent of Bomber-era Motorhead. Take pulls right from a handle of cheap whiskey and join the party you motherfuckers.

Bon Jovi Is Not Dead and The Scandinavians Could Not Be Happier
Black Trip -- Shadowline
Melodic heavy metal/hard rock band that shares members with Enforcer (including the vocalist) and plays some fabulous classic heavy metal. The lyrics sound like they were written by the dude in Beastmilk (lots of talk of Armageddon and death), but sung like someone cosplaying Jon Bon Jovi. I thought I'd hate this, but I love it. God help me, I love it.

Synthwave For Heshers
GosT -- Behemoth
If John Carpenter were a metalhead and grew up in Berlin, he'd write music like this. GosT continues the trend blown wide open last year by Perturbator of making retro-synth music as if it were (and in some cases is) made by metalheads. Listen to this soundtrack of a horror movie that has yet to be filmed.

Gimme Some Feral Thrash Metal, Part Deux
Mortal Scepter -- As Time Sharpens the Sentence
Vicious thrash metal from Dunkirk, France. Just listen to it. 

Texas Melange Metal
Expander -- Laws of Power
Metal/Punk/Thrash. They have the best band photo I've seen in years. Listen to them

Negative Wizard Metal
Rebel Wizard -- all of them
I still don't know what negative wizard metal is, but it's fun.

Forgot one!

Boner-Killer Metal Punk
War on Women -- s/t
Holy shitballs! A direct inheritor of everything awesome about Bikini Kill and Third Sex, this is some face-melting, ass-kicking boner-killer feminist punk. And it is awesome. Probably my second favorite album this year, after Mgla. 

On January 19, 2016 at 7:28 PM, Xray the Enforcer said:

My preferred albums from 2015

Just Put That Album On Repeat. Thank You.
Mgla -- Exercises in Futility 
Modern black metal with the best drumming I've heard in the subgenre (and some of the best in metal, overall). I had a shitty year, so an album that starts "The great truth is there isn't one" is right up my alley. I cannot overstate how much I love this album and its predecessor. A classic.

They Don't Make Guitar Solos Like This Anymore (and it's a goddamned shame):
Horisont -- Odyssey
Hard rock. This band used eldritch magic to open a portal straight from 1974 to today, and dropped this album in our laps. The guitar solo in "Bad News" (linked above, solo starts at 1:53) makes me cackle with glee every time I hear it. Seriously, you need this album (and the amazing album art) in your life. Get it or be forever a false.

Gimme Some Feral Thrash Metal
Sadistic Ritual -- Edge of the Knife
Old school vicious thrash. I don't even remember how I came across this band, but I am glad I did. Perfect for when you need to scratch the Morbid Saint itch. 

Bluesy Heavy Metal That Makes RRL Tear the Sleeves Off of His Shirts and Ride Around in an IROC-Z
Satan's Hallow -- s/t
Bluesy, rocking heavy metal from a nascent Chicago-based outfit. I love this demo so much, I make everyone listen to it. Don't believe me? Believe the lobster.

Death Metal With Brains (that are not meant to be eaten)
House of Atreus -- The Spear and the Ichor That Follows
Fantastic mix of old-old-school death metal and NWOBHM. I've been following this band since I blind-bought their demo cassette years ago. They love Shakespeare and Greek tragedies and so should you.

Death Metal With Brains (that are not meant to be eaten, WWI Edition)
Ares Kingom -- The Unburiable Dead
Death metal. Born from the ashes of many bands, the most notable of which was Order From Chaos. Intense riffage and complex song structure. Criminally underrated.

Lemmy Is Dead, Long Live Lemmy
Speedtrap -- Straight Shooter
High octane speed metal from Finland (of course it is) reminiscent of Bomber-era Motorhead. Take pulls right from a handle of cheap whiskey and join the party you motherfuckers.

Bon Jovi Is Not Dead and The Scandinavians Could Not Be Happier
Black Trip -- Shadowline
Melodic heavy metal/hard rock band that shares members with Enforcer (including the vocalist) and plays some fabulous classic heavy metal. The lyrics sound like they were written by the dude in Beastmilk (lots of talk of Armageddon and death), but sung like someone cosplaying Jon Bon Jovi. I thought I'd hate this, but I love it. God help me, I love it.

Synthwave For Heshers
GosT -- Behemoth
If John Carpenter were a metalhead and grew up in Berlin, he'd write music like this. GosT continues the trend blown wide open last year by Perturbator of making retro-synth music as if it were (and in some cases is) made by metalheads. Listen to this soundtrack of a horror movie that has yet to be filmed.

Gimme Some Feral Thrash Metal, Part Deux
Mortal Scepter -- As Time Sharpens the Sentence
Vicious thrash metal from Dunkirk, France. Just listen to it. 

Texas Melange Metal
Expander -- Laws of Power
Metal/Punk/Thrash. They have the best band photo I've seen in years. Listen to them

Negative Wizard Metal
Rebel Wizard -- all of them
I still don't know what negative wizard metal is, but it's fun.

Bad ass. Look forward to checking out all those bands I haven't heard yet. (So far loving the Horisont and Black Trip) 

Also, wholeheartedly concur with this whole post. Listen up and learn, motherfuckers

So back in November one of my favourite bands - The Ghost Inside was involved in a pretty bad accident while touring. Their tour bus collided head on with a truck, both drivers were killed. All members of the band are alive but are pretty fucked up. Lots of *bad* injuries including an amputated leg, the only member to return home so far is the lead guitarist who had 8 surgeries. Months in American hospitals having surgery after surgery as well as their prospects for the foreseeable future (physical therapy, no touring) has put them in a pretty bad spot financially. Their record label announced that they won't take any cut of album sales and it will all go to the band. 

I've seen these guys live, I've met the vocalist. They're honestly some of the nicest guys in the metalcore scene. If you feel like buying some music go for it. If you're rich and just want to give a bunch of money go here

Archived