NFL 2015 Week Two: 16 teams still have hope

Rhom

Dude. You should have given that up months ago. Enjoy the ride.

I know.

I had a college basketball team sitting at 38-0 with a 5 point lead and five minutes to play... You'd think if I can learn that hope is futile in that situation, I could recognize this for the sham it is.

I think the powers that be of Monday Night scheduling expected a talented yet rudderless 49er team to face off against a scrappy yet up and coming Vikings squad that would put up a good fight and give hope to Minnesota fans.

I'm sure several ritual suicides were demanded in the ensuing months.

And then we got this.

Posted 13 September 2015 - 02:00 AM
I think for the first few games (weeks 1-2) of the schedule at least, i'll take each of the home teams. Just an itriguing strategy I want to track. I guess I'll see where i'm at for the week of most teams 3rd game.
Anyways, those are my picks in advance for the next 2 weeks- The Home teams.

That worked okay so far, Home teams were 10-6 through the Thurs-Monday night games.

Trent Dilfer is awful but the most ridiculous bit of commentary from the weekend belongs to Joe Buck:

Aaron Rodgers is arrogant, but its the good kind of arrogant.

Which leads me to questions from the weekend:

Are the Rams legit or were they playing up to competition?

Are any NFC East teams actually interested in trying to win a game of football?

Are the Bears better than everyone thought or are the Packers that much worse without Nelson?

How long until the Colts blow up their organization after losing the season in Week 1?

How hard are the Vikings and Bucs going to work to be pointed and laughed at each week?

What are the Patriots being persecuted for this week?

How boring will the Ravens and Raiders game be?

Who knew the 49ers could lose 75 defensive players and still put in that kind of effort? Jim Tomsula motivates pretty well for a guy who can't talk. 

Are any NFC East teams actually interested in trying to win a game of football?

The Giants loss wasn't like fumbling in victory formation...but it was close. 99 times out of a 100, a team in their situation wins. And it's not like everyday you have a chance to beat Dallas in Dallas. Especially when you got basically totally outplayed but their receivers kept batting balls right to your DBs. Also Eli, FFS, stop throwing to Preston "Clifford Franklin" Parker on third down. 

The Eagles, goddamn, continue to alternate between looking unstoppable and like mental midgets. Also, Chip Kelly, what's the point of saying all these stalwarts on your roster like McCoy, Mathis and Boykin are too expensive and then you instead spend that money on a $40m RB you give 8 carries to and a $60m CB who spent all game getting ragdolled by Julio Jones? Maybe Seattle's 3rd CB isn't worth that? Byron Maxwell had certain...advantages...just saying. Fits in with the whole narrative that the Eagles are both very intriguing and yet they make you scratch your head constantly.

Also the Redskins probably outplayed the Dolphins. I think DVOA will bear that out but it remains a team too dumb to every really maximize that. Nothing too egregious or unexpected here. 

Also the Redskins probably outplayed the Dolphins. I think DVOA will bear that out but it remains a team too dumb to every really maximize that. Nothing too egregious or unexpected here. 

Penalties and special teams disasters were more than enough to lose that game, even though we did outplay Miami for large portions of the game.  The GM is talking about building up both lines, and one week in it looks like he means it.  The O and D lines were good enough to win, which isn't something I'd say much the past two years. 

On the whole, we looked like a real football team.  Not a good football team, but nowhere near the embarrassment that some people were predicting.  My pessimism bottomed out in week 4 of the preseason, and I decided that while the team is bad, it is not in any noteworthy way.  I expect fewer blowouts than last year, but not a lot more wins, probably 5-11, give or take a game or two depending on luck. 

Vikings offensive coachign was pretty disastrous. The coach seemed to buy into the bizarre Teddy Bridgewater hype, and just didn't give the ball to Adrian Peterson.

Of course when he did, they got like 3 ypc. It wasn't Norv's best game but Zimmer did come out today and say Teddy didn't play well at all.

Archived