Rant & Rave without repercussion S 5/S 6 speculation continued [book and show spoilers]

kissdbyfire

http://angrygotfan.com/2015/09/16/season-5-guest-review-why-i-am-done-with-this-show/

Hmm, disagree with a lot there. Still. 

The article is OK, except for the completely inaccurate fanon that females have no right to the throne. Which I just pointed out in a comment that is awaiting moderation.

Also, teenage girls are definitely not the show's target audience. Or women of any age.
Though maybe they thought boy band Trystane would cover the teen girl market. Which shows that they don't even have a clue about pleasing any target demographic other than 18-30 males.

The article is OK, except for the completely inaccurate fanon that females have no right to the throne. Which I just pointed out in a comment that is awaiting moderation.

Also, teenage girls are definitely not the show's target audience. Or women of any age.
Though maybe they thought boy band Trystane would cover the teen girl market. Which shows that they don't even have a clue about pleasing any target demographic other than 18-30 males.

There are lots of Jon Snow fangirls. 

I don't know what the statistics are, but it's obvious who the show is primarily catering to.

http://www.economistgroup.com/leanback/consumers/how-game-of-thrones-embraces-the-mass-intelligent/

This is back when the show didn't go full Hobbit but I found it amusing. I remember most people who watched the show had no idea Jon snow was the most imporant character and all he got was hate. Granted, they did give him an off-putting storyline.

According to a 2013 article on Wired, GoT audience for the current season was 58 percent male to  42 percent female ... but "positive social media activity" involving the show was 50-50 (kind of like this board, eh?). Be curious about next season, since a lot of intelligent people (book lovers) are thinking about sitting it out. 

Then here's something that makes me want to Meryn Trant someone. 

According to a 2013 article on Wired, GoT audience for the current season was 58 percent male to  42 percent female ... but "positive social media activity" involving the show was 50-50 (kind of like this board, eh?). Be curious about next season, since a lot of intelligent people (book lovers) are thinking about sitting it out. 

I'd bet that more than half of those saying they won't watch will watch if only out of morbid curiosity.

I have no idea why I read that. Seriously, what did you expect from that article? I just looked at the history of the author and... seriously what did you expect? That woman basically makes a living on stereotypes and being horribly superficial.

On another note, we could write up an article "Why intelligent people hate Game of Thrones".

It's interesting to note that anither statistics shows that 60% of ASOIAF readers are female.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the majority of media and entertainment primarily cater to men, that catering to men is seen as the default setting, and that women are used to reading, listening to and watching things that primarily cater to men, while the opposite is not the case.

For instance, no one sees anything unusual in a fictional work having a male protagonist, and this is not seen as its defining characteristic. But if it has female protagonist or protagonists, it automatically becomes "chick lit" or "chick flic", unless the protagonist's role is to be a highly sexualized fetish action girl (Charlie's Angels etc.). That's why people tend to assume that, for instance, The Hunger Games series is for teenage girls, though there is no particular reason that should be the case other than the main character being a girl; but no one says that Harry Potter was aimed just at teenage boys, rather than children and teenagers in general. But if Hermione had been the main character, you bet it would be considered a series for girls.

That's why people tend to assume that, for instance, The Hunger Games series is for teenage girls, though there is no particular reason that should be the case other than the main character being a girl; but no one says that Harry Potter was aimed just at teenage boys, rather than children and teenagers in general. But if Hermione had been the main character, you bet it would be considered a series for girls.

Funnily enough a reader from my own essay about women written by men had brought up exactly this point with exactly these examples. And I find my own thoughts regarding this subject extremely troubling. Because it is a self-fulfilling prophecy with that mindset. If you have a book and lable it as 'for girls', you actually try to sell it to girls. That's why I as a male thinking about the Hunger Games cannot help but associate it with a love triangle because this is the part the medias point out as the primary focus because they think this is what the primary focus of the girlish readers should be like. That's pure insanity! And that's how you exclude boys who think they have no business reading something 'for girls'.

The Harry Potter example is therefore interesting because I am of the opinion that if you swap the gender of Harry, keep the story otherwise completely intact and don't change the advertising at all... then it would have the same impact upon male readers than it actually had. Because people became invested in the setting, not the gender of the protagonist. But if they changed the advertising, it would all fall apart, because the exclusion would be right there. That's at least what my teenage self tells me, that he would never read 'girl's stuff', he would violently refuse it.

(It's actually kinda funny, because I know my tastes at that age. One of my favourite shows while I was in primary school was 'Slayers', an Anime targeted at young boys with the quirk of having a female protagonist. I remember the network it run at had basically no advertising at all, so I just liked it on my own volition. Because it was funny and it had a decent amount of action. I never cared much that Lina was a girl, she was just awesome and thankfully not sexualized at all with her fancy sorceress-attire).

Archived