Wise Man's Fear XI

Michael Seswatha Jordan

CT,

That seems like an easy out and a very generic ending for the more complex story Rothfuss wants to tell.  I think it could also turn out that the Chandrian are the "good guys" and Kvothe has been in the wrong the entire time.

Well, a writer friend of mine said something about simplicity in writing being the wheel. "Yes, it's not a terribly complex device but it's worked well for fifty-thousand years."

The Chandrian being the good guys also strikes me as looking for a twist because you expect a twist. Our introduction to them is mass murder for the crime of attempting to spread knowledge about their existence and our next likely encounter with them is another act of heinous mass murder of innocents. It could be something like George R.R. Martin showing there's reasons behind their actions but I think of Patrick Rothuss' Kingkiller Chronicle as "Reconstructive" fantasy.

That after all the tearing down of classic plots and storylines in recent years, he's telling one about a classic hero's journey and the prices thereof.

But I'm quite willing to be proven wrong. I never expected Stephen King's The Dark Tower to end the way it did.

CT,

How many hero's are considered "right bastards" in some of the stories told about them?  There is a reason Kvothe isn't always portrayed as a hero.  Remember everything we know about Ambrose (for example) is from Kvothe's POV.  

Another line that keeps coming to mind is about Simmon, "Once you've lost his good opinion it is gone forever".  I have a feeling Kvothe knows that from personal experience.  Also, remember "To friends who deserved better than they got".  Something bad is going to happen to Willum and Simmon.  As Simmon is a duke's son and a poet I wonder if he couldn't end up being the "King" Kvothe kills.

Oh, I do think there's set up for a major tragedy in place. My present working theory is Kvothe finally gets some very good insight into the Chandarin from some source and decides to set out to destroy them, only to end up getting caught up in something which causes him to make some tough moral choices.

Choices done "for the greater good" which was the theme of the Amyr.

Then these choices will personally ruin the lives/kill many friends of Kvothe as well as cause many acts of chaos.

I predict Kvothe will destroy the Chandarin but wreck the world in the process.

So, perhaps similar to your idea but my idea is Kvothe isn't the villain so much as a misguided hero.

CT,

If Kvothe has destroyed the Chandrian why are Bast and Kvothe worried about the Chandrian perceiving their names when he finishes the story from Ademre?

Well, not destroy all of them but perhaps some.

It also would be a good set up for a final confrontation between them and Kvothe at the inn.

I think its a matter of which side rather than good or bad. I strongly object to the notion that either has a superior moral position even if both claim it. Its like Ambrose and Kvothe on a bigger scale basically. 

CT, my expectation is that only Cinder is vulnerable and I think he survives. I'd be happy if Rothfuss tells us what is behind that damned door, why everyone wants the moon and who Puppet is. My only expectation of Kvothe is that he opens the Locless Box. 

I confess, I think it'd be better if Rothfuss just had Kvothe fail to finish it in three days and do a fourth book.

:)

But I understand why he wouldn't want that.

Crackpot theory: Kvothe's world has a calendar where certain days are doubled, to make every month equal in terms of day-length. Kvothe asserting that he can be done in three days is a technical truth.

Crackpot theory: Kvothe's world has a calendar where certain days are doubled, to make every month equal in terms of day-length. Kvothe asserting that he can be done in three days is a technical truth.

The TV tropes page says that the books size in audio format means that Kvothe actually isn't capable of finishing the stories as told in a single day.

• 4 months later...
On 29/11/2015 at 1:48 AM, C.T. Phipps said:

The TV tropes page says that the books size in audio format means that Kvothe actually isn't capable of finishing the stories as told in a single day.

Maybe kvothe actually sounds like a chipmonk and speaks at 1.5- 2 xspeed ???

Another way around the 3 days is to have an am and pm split book. GRRM does it all the time and I can't see the publishers being able to sell an extra paperback.

It is actually quite annoying. At least Martin is older and he was quite prolific when he was Rothfuss' age.

I will probably completely forget about these books until he finally releases the new book. Really, 5+ years for a book that he apparently had from the start is quite crazy.

1 hour ago, TheRevanchist said:

It is actually quite annoying. At least Martin is older and he was quite prolific when he was Rothfuss' age.

I will probably completely forget about these books until he finally releases the new book. Really, 5+ years for a book that he apparently had from the start is quite crazy.

I think GRRM has always claimed to be a slow author. I don't know if that stacks up in his bibliography A quick glance suggests he was a one every 2 years author 10 novels since 1977. He did do a lot of TV work as well and he certainly never set out as slowly as Rothfuss did. Then again he maybe didn't make as much money off his first novel either.

Archived