Wise Man's Fear XI

Michael Seswatha Jordan

Feast of Crows, page 685 (hardback edition) 

Tyrion, Jon, Dany, Stannis and Melisandre, Davis Seaworth, and all the rest of the characters you love or love to hate will be along next year (I devoutly hope) in A Dance With Dragons, which will focus on events along the Wall and across the sea, just as the present book focused on King's Landing.

--George R.R. Martin

June 2005

They've both under-estimated the effort and time to complete their next volume(s). Calling out Rothuss while giving GRRM a pass is not playing fair.

(I know I keep responding to you in this thread, Scot, but it's not because I'm signaling you out. Honest. You just happen to be the last person posting at the time. :) )

17 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

They've both under-estimated the effort and time to complete their next volume(s). Calling out Rothuss while giving GRRM a pass is not playing fair.

(I know I keep responding to you in this thread, Scot, but it's not because I'm signaling you out. Honest. You just happen to be the last person posting at the time. :) )

That's not a hard specific date. 

The difference between Martin and Rothfuss is that Martin at least seems to want to finish the book, and feels bad that he hasn't finished it. In fact, he recently announced that he will be cutting down his appearances until the book is finished.

Rothfuss is actively douchey to his fans, as well as being blatantly clear that he has no intentions of making an effort to finishing his book any time soon. He gets called out for this, and rightfully so. Not really anything else to say.

He also pimps his charities, despite the fact that IF HE WROTE HIS FUCKING BOOK he'd have millions of dollars to give to his charity. So by not writing, he is hurting his charity.

31 minutes ago, sperry said:

The difference between Martin and Rothfuss is that Martin at least seems to want to finish the book, and feels bad that he hasn't finished it. In fact, he recently announced that he will be cutting down his appearances until the book is finished.

Rothfuss is actively douchey to his fans, as well as being blatantly clear that he has no intentions of making an effort to finishing his book any time soon. He gets called out for this, and rightfully so. Not really anything else to say.

He also pimps his charities, despite the fact that IF HE WROTE HIS FUCKING BOOK he'd have millions of dollars to give to his charity. So by not writing, he is hurting his charity.

Bolded for this is what I have also been saying. I don't get how people can not get through their head about how the bolded is completely different from pretty much any other author doing anything else. Guy openly mocks his fans and itches constantly about how he doesn't want to write the book and how awful his life is. He's free to do so, but shouldn't act so shocked and insulted when people point out hes being a brat.

1 hour ago, Myrddin said:

That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

47 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Exactly.  That's an "I hope to be done by X date but can't promise it".

Yes, and that's a date he's missed by some 5 years. That's a bit much, even when taking "Meereenese knot" into consideration, wouldn't you agree? Also, after that date, he's given a few more, culminating in "no more dates" notice in early 2008, three and a half years before the book's release.

30 minutes ago, sperry said:

If you consider Rothfuss a douche (a valid point, I must say), don't buy book when it comes out. Don't read it, don't spend money on it, don't give money to anything associated with him. Don't give him any money or attention. I mean, it's Kingkiller Chronicles, an entertaining read but not something you mustn't miss out on.

On the other hand, Martin announces he "will be cutting down his appearances" 5 years after his last book and that's enough? Now that's double standards, if I've ever seen one.

As for charities, the whole point of creating one is that you don't give your own money but raise awareness on a certain subject and get people and companies involved. ;) 

Once again, I'm not defending Rothfuss. I didn't really know about his shenanigans and I think he's definitely crossed the line with that. The likelihood of me buying any of his books again decreased significantly since I got involved in this debate. It's just that, while his methods are douchier, the principle is the same as with Martin.

47 minutes ago, baxus said:

That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

Yes, and that's a date he's missed by some 5 years. That's a bit much, even when taking "Meereenese knot" into consideration, wouldn't you agree? Also, after that date, he's given a few more, culminating in "no more dates" notice in early 2008, three and a half years before the book's release.

If you consider Rothfuss a douche (a valid point, I must say), don't buy book when it comes out. Don't read it, don't spend money on it, don't give money to anything associated with him. Don't give him any money or attention. I mean, it's Kingkiller Chronicles, an entertaining read but not something you mustn't miss out on.

On the other hand, Martin announces he "will be cutting down his appearances" 5 years after his last book and that's enough? Now that's double standards, if I've ever seen one.

As for charities, the whole point of creating one is that you don't give your own money but raise awareness on a certain subject and get people and companies involved. ;) 

Once again, I'm not defending Rothfuss. I didn't really know about his shenanigans and I think he's definitely crossed the line with that. The likelihood of me buying any of his books again decreased significantly since I got involved in this debate. It's just that, while his methods are douchier, the principle is the same as with Martin.

There's a rather huge difference between not being timely, and being a huge prick about not being timely.

As for buying the book or not buying the book, whatever. I would prefer not to give Rothfuss my money at this point, so I'm much more likely to check the book out from a library or buy a copy from a friend, or buy a used copy than I would be for any other author's release.  But whether or not I should spend my money is completely irrelevant to the discussion of whether Rothfuss is kind of a jerk or not. Again, the priniciple is not hte same. The principle is that Rothfuss is a douche about it, and Martin is not.

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I'm going to buy The Doors of Stone when it is released not because I don't think Rothfuss is being a jerk, but, because even if he's being a jerk I really enjoy his writing.

I enjoy his writing, too, but since there are legal ways for me to enjoy his writing without giving him a nickel, I'll take advantage of those.

2 hours ago, sperry said:

I enjoy his writing, too, but since there are legal ways for me to enjoy his writing without giving him a nickel, I'll take advantage of those.

Same here.

Delays in books aren't really a major issue for me - most of my favourite authors are dead, so won't be releasing any time soon (with the exception of the Tolkien Estate, and with that my major gripe is price-gouging). I also have plenty of other stuff to read. Martin bothers me less for the delay, and more for the drop-off in quality. Rothfuss...I get a sort of perverse pleasure from the embarrassing parts of The Wise Man's Fear, so his antics actually make me snigger (incidentally, never mind social media, see his foreword and afterword in The Slow Regard of Silent Things). It's the same sort of emotion that makes me hunt down Christopher Paolini interviews. 

Archived