Wise Man's Fear XI

Michael Seswatha Jordan

Denna doesn't have a chance now that Kvothe has fairy goddess pleasing sexual prowess ;)

I am of the opinion Denna is bound to her master, someone has her real name and power over her. I find Kvothe's obsession over her more annoying than Denna. I actually don't mind her and find her more tragic that anything else.

What's wrong with Denna? I mean she is a little shady and all, but there is nothing to really dislike as a character. Actually, I don't even dislike Ambrose, because he was clearly written to be a stereotypical rich jerk antagonist character and he fulfils his role fairly well. Its more annoying how one dimensional he is really.

2 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

What's wrong with Denna? I mean she is a little shady and all, but there is nothing to really dislike as a character. Actually, I don't even dislike Ambrose, because he was clearly written to be a stereotypical rich jerk antagonist character and he fulfils his role fairly well. Its more annoying how one dimensional he is really.

What bugged me about Ambrose is that he really is just an aged-up Draco Malfoy with the serial numbers filed off.  

The implication in the story Kvothe is telling is that Ambrose's popularity comes purely from being very wealthy.  But isn't it interesting that Kvothe never developes a large group of friends while at the University?  As the saying goes "we're all the hero of our own story".  This is Kvothe telling this story.  We've seen that he has, at a minimum, blinders about his own people and his actions in relation to those people.  Perhaps he can't see how he was viewed by other properly either?

8 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

The implication in the story Kvothe is telling is that Ambrose's popularity comes purely from being very wealthy.  But isn't it interesting that Kvothe never developes a large group of friends while at the University?  As the saying goes "we're all the hero of our own story".  This is Kvothe telling this story.  We've seen that he has, at a minimum, blinders about his own people and his actions in relation to those people.  Perhaps he can't see how he was viewed by other properly either?

Why is that interesting?  Are you saying it implies something about Kvothe?  Are people with fewer, but close friends somehow less savory people?

On April 29, 2016 at 3:04 PM, aceluby said:

Why is that interesting?  Are you saying it implies something about Kvothe?  Are people with fewer, but close friends somehow less savory people?

No, but it is usually not simply money that makes someone "popular".  I think Kvothe is probably imbelishing Ambrose a bit to make him less pleasent.

Archived