Bakker XLI Redux: Measure is Still Unceasing (And a date is revealed for The Great Ordeal)

Rhom

This is the perpetual thread devoted to the works of R. Scott Bakker, primarily the books in The Second Apocalypse series, the first of which is The Darkness that Comes Before.

The current publication status is 5 volumes of novels, including the latest, The White-Luck Warrior, as well as 3 short stories, The False Sun and The Four Revelations of Cinial'jin on Bakker's Blog Three Pound Brain and The Knife of Many Hands, which is available for purchase. This thread contains spoilers for these publications.

Since Bakker's writing uses layers of revelation, newcomers are strongly advised to finish the books before coming here; otherwise the spoilers will rot your soul. Eternally.

Most denizens of this thread have also read Bakker's non-fantasy novels Neuropath and Disciple of the Dog, but the spoiler policy is unclear. You are advised to hide crucial plot points in those novels.

Obviously our previous discussions were skewing too close to the mark of history and Seswatha had to come in and wipe the entirety of the discussion from the forum.

Where last we discussed:  Why didn't Inri Sejunus comment on the womb plague?  Is Seswatha a lieing liar who lies?  Is Kal secretly a Bakker sock puppet? 

Well it isn't as if lost content truly matters, its a circles in this thread anyway. We'll get back around to it, eventually. :D

Indeed.

We really need that book to come out soon...

This forum change is like when Seswatha's dreams start to change and King Anaxophus turns to Akka and says WHAT DO YOU SEE

The terror of the familiar becoming unfamiliar.

Yes, the narrative structure and history of our sacred texts have been altered with large sections deleted by a malign actor in an attempt to steer our actions in a way that serves their own ends. Will we notice the changes? Or will we be slaves to this new edited history. Kill all Non-men I say.

Obviously our previous discussions were skewing too close to the mark of history and Seswatha had to come in and wipe the entirety of the discussion from the forum.

Where last we discussed:  Why didn't Inri Sejunus comment on the womb plague?  Is Seswatha a lieing liar who lies?  Is Kal secretly a Bakker sock puppet? 

Lies Shine!

Mysterious double quote, and it does it everytime.:dunno:  Anyway, as someone said in the previous thread, the womb plague would have had to effect Sejenus tremendously. I'm sure there are passages in the Tractate about it. He did reinterpret the Tusk, right? Its just every detail is not gonna be presented in the books, and I'm glad its not. That would be very tedious.

This quote feature is doing whatever it wants to, or I cannot grasp it yet.

How do we know Sejanus didn't comment on the womb plague?  Maybe it's in that there Tracate somewhere.

True, it might be in the Tractate somewhere and we just haven’t seen it yet. If the real-world Jesus's ministry had been preceded by a worldwide decade of stillbirths and invasion of inhuman monsters, I'm pretty sure there would at least be a mention of it in the New Testament, kind of like how Revelation is thought by some scholars to be about Roman oppression.

If it is in the Tractate and Inri's teachings, then the church is conveniently ignoring parts of their holy text - which I guess is possible, real religions do it all the time. Whatever the real explanation (if there is one) it seems strange that the roots of Inrithism are so historically close to the Apocalypse, but the modern church forgot all about it until Kellhus arrived. Inri would have been one of the FIRST generation of kids born after the No God's fall.

Sorry for harping on the point but to me this is either an author oversight or the setup to a big reveal about the history of Inrithism.

Thanks, MG. You do great work for the community. 

Hopefully, this means Pat will hear from Bakker soon and I can watch who among you has the resolve to survive the gauntlet revelation with me...

EDIT: I dislike this new layout here.

I believe I may have just squeed with excitement...  I know that's not appropriate in the Bakker thread however.

So I will just say that at long last, the Slog of Slogs nears its conclusion!  The Great Ordeal nears its goal and for Thanksgiving this year, we shall all eat Sranc. 

I believe I may have just squeed with excitement...  I know that's not appropriate in the Bakker thread however.

So I will just say that at long last, the Slog of Slogs nears its conclusion!  The Great Ordeal nears its goal and for Thanksgiving this year, we shall all eat Sranc. 

SQUEEING TOO!  Sranc, stuffing, and qirri-candied yams!

Archived