Bakker XLI Redux: Measure is Still Unceasing (And a date is revealed for The Great Ordeal)

Rhom

Will feel better once I see it on Bakker's blog, but this seems good. 

I'll be curious when all is settled what the main explanation for the splitting of the books was.  Just length?

And if book 4 is well and truly done, I really hope there's not too much of a delay for it to be released. 

Did we give up with the Inchoroi bombed Pearl Harbor?!!?

Now you can say whatever you want about us.  But I am not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the New Kellhian Empire. 

The Great Ordeal has been added to Edelweiss:

http://edelweiss.abovethetreeline.com/ProductDetailPage.aspx?sku=1468301691

Overlook summer 2016 PDF catalog:

http://images.abovethetreeline.com/ea/NO/pdfs/Overlook_S16_Catalog_Final.pdf

With over 175,000 copies in print, the high fantasy novels of R. Scott Bakker have dazzled fans around the world.

496 pages

With over 175,000 copies in print, the high fantasy novels of R. Scott Bakker have dazzled fans around the world.

That's interesting. So on average 35k per book, not sure how that translate into sales tho. Are those decent numbers for a rather niche, allegedly unpublishable author like Bakker?

They were saying 1 million worldwide a few months ago, but that might be for everyone everwhere rather than just the USA. I'm starting to think that the 1 million figure was way too high though.

175,000 for Bakker in the USA alone from a small press with not much publicity and very limited coverage even in the blogosphere (despite my and Pat's best efforts) isn't too bad. But over twelve years, it's not a lot of money.

Thanks, Jussi, for that information. It's nice to see that Overlook has updated their catalogue.

And thank you, Wert, for your part in proselytizing. Without you and Pat, even those low (hopefully US only) numbers would probably be far lower.

Anyone like Wert have any info on situations like this where there's a split of a book that is completed?  Curious about what history can tell us about when to expect the 4th book if we're getting the 3rd on July 5.

Anyone like Wert have any info on situations like this where there's a split of a book that is completed?  Curious about what history can tell us about when to expect the 4th book if we're getting the 3rd on July 5.

Yes, Tad Williams's Shadowrise was split after completion. The two halves were published 7 months apart. Also, the first Rain Wilds Chronicle book by Robin Hobb was also split. I think those books came out about a year apart.

On that basis, I'd say that we should look for Unholy Consult in the first half of 2017.

It's going to be somewhere between 6 and 12 months.

Closer to 6 I hope.

As for other examples, Gene Wolfe's Wizardknight was split by Tor and published 10 months apart.

Thanks for all of those responses.  That would be so sweet if we got the next within a year of this forthcoming one.  I can't bear another slog of slogs after this one. 

They were saying 1 million worldwide a few months ago, but that might be for everyone everwhere rather than just the USA. I'm starting to think that the 1 million figure was way too high though.

175,000 for Bakker in the USA alone from a small press with not much publicity and very limited coverage even in the blogosphere (despite my and Pat's best efforts) isn't too bad. But over twelve years, it's not a lot of money.

You forgot someone who was active years before you two :P  And I recall Scott being fairly active over at SFF World in 2004-2005 that helped sales back then.  Pity he's a recluse these days.

Oh clearly we should expect a little note in the back that this book is all the story for half the characters and then rest of the characters will be coming in just one year...

Archived