Bakker XLI Redux: Measure is Still Unceasing (And a date is revealed for The Great Ordeal)

Rhom

Especially about damnation and how the world works.  My contention was that, like nihilism itself, their reasoning is flawed.  They screw themselves over at every turn, just like the Inrithi and Fanim. 

Except I don't think that's what was meant. I thought he was basically saying that rampant hedonism without empathy also screws over everything. But that's not where the Inchies are now. 

Is it not a bit strange that Bakker still hasn't said anything despite the supposed confirmation of the release date?

With any other author, I'd say yes...

But Bakker has such a weird relationship with the internet and with his publisher. :dunno:

Just finished tWLW, and I crave more! MORE I SAY!!!!! I'm sure this has been discussed to death, but Ishuäl can't really be destroyed can it? 

Why can't it be?  I was always protected more by secrecy than by anything else and since Kellhus left, he had be blabbing on about Dunyain to nearly everyone, from Leweth, to whoever he met in Atrithau, to those in the Holy War.  It wouldn't shock me if he got them all killed.  It also wouldn't shock me if Kellhus' Prologue confrontation with Mekeritrig lead the latter to remember, or at least be curious enough to find Ishuäl and probably deliver it to Aurang/the Consult.

There is also the possibility that the Dunyain already knew that their mission was complete and high-tailed it out of Ishuäl before anyone actually found them.  Where they would have went then is a whole other puzzle though.

The little foreshadowing that we're given in the blurb about book 4 suggest to me that Akka indeed finds Ishual destroyed and abandoned as it suggests he worries he's learned nothing on his quest.  Whether that applies to his first chapter or most of his arc in the next book is impossible to say at this time.

Who destroyed Ishual and why? Now, that is the question. I knew that you would love the series. Most people would if they'd just give it a go.

Yeah it's been a great ride! A bit overly repetitive at some parts, but nothing I couldn't slog though! I've been reading some of GRRM's Thousand Worlds, and hopefully I'll find something else to hold me over till July!! (Or if tWoW comes out first, fingers crossed)

Why can't it be?  I was always protected more by secrecy than by anything else and since Kellhus left, he had be blabbing on about Dunyain to nearly everyone, from Leweth, to whoever he met in Atrithau, to those in the Holy War.  It wouldn't shock me if he got them all killed.  It also wouldn't shock me if Kellhus' Prologue confrontation with Mekeritrig lead the latter to remember, or at least be curious enough to find Ishuäl and probably deliver it to Aurang/the Consult.

There is also the possibility that the Dunyain already knew that their mission was complete and high-tailed it out of Ishuäl before anyone actually found them.  Where they would have went then is a whole other puzzle though.

Oh I'm sure it could be, I was just really looking forward to more Dunyain and how they would interact with Kellus should they meet again. I hope it still happens. I'm really pulling for Akka to take down Kellus!! I never realized that was Mekeritrig, Kellus faced but damn! 

One other thing that's been bugging me is that people still doubt the purpose of tGO even though the existence of the Consult is obvious. Does Kellus have an ulterior motive? If so, what?

Its the million dollar question. What are Kellhus's intententions. Reading the previous threads will give you a better understanding of things, plus all the theories out there. If you've thought of it there is a 99.9999999% chance its in one of those threads. Plus, you can read Bakker play a sock puppet. Second Apocalypse is another forum that has a lot of good content on the series. Hell, reading the threads here and there might just hold you off til July.

Second Apocalypse forum

Blasphemer's Guide to Blaspheme - A thread containing all the links to the various threads here at Westeros since the switch-over from EZBoard (not counting, of course, the most recent two "The Thirty-nine Thought" and "Measure is Unceasing," which were lost to Oblivion).

Yeah it's been a great ride! A bit overly repetitive at some parts, but nothing I couldn't slog though!

Lol - also, out of curiousity, which parts did you find "overly repetitive?"

hopefully I'll find something else to hold me over till July!! 

I'd recommend The Dread Empire series by Glen Cook for that. It has a similar atmosphere and the battles and characters remind me of Bakker it has a Mohamed analogue and an absolutist Asian themed empire ruled by wizard-generals, it's lacking the philosophy and exploration of the world. If You think you'd enjoy a story of the Fanim jihads and Zeum without the musings of Akka and Kelhuss  than you'll like it.

News from Bakker. Includes a link to a new (free, apparently) Bakker short story called "Crash Space," seeming very much like Neuropath/Semantica near future SF.

And I would twice damn myself and advocate the TGO/TUC split again!

EDIT: Bakker's blog includes a link is to the free draft of Crash Space but since the story is published in a philosophy journal, I just thought I'd include their official warning. Classic Bakker.

Editorial note: The following story contains explicit sexual violence which some readers might find offensive or upsetting. In our judgment, the elements of the story that make it possibly offensive or upsetting are essential to the philosophical aims of the story.

Second Apocalypse forum

Blasphemer's Guide to Blaspheme - A thread containing all the links to the various threads here at Westeros since the switch-over from EZBoard (not counting, of course, the most recent two "The Thirty-nine Thought" and "Measure is Unceasing," which were lost to Oblivion).

Lol - also, out of curiousity, which parts did you find "overly repetitive?"

At some parts I felt that the story kept repeating how sorcerers are damned over and over again. It wasn't a huge deal, I just felt that he point could've been gotten across without repeating it so much. 

At some parts I felt that the story kept repeating how sorcerers are damned over and over again. It wasn't a huge deal, I just felt that he point could've been gotten across without repeating it so much. 

Well, it might not be exactly true. Who knows exactly what the mark means, who's damned and who's not. Who worships the right way, the Inrithi say sorcerors are damned, doesn't mean its true. And, how the Cishaurim dont have a mark. I think its repeated so much because its leading to some reveal.

News from Bakker. Includes a link to a new (free, apparently) Bakker short story called "Crash Space," seeming very much like Neuropath/Semantica near future SF.

And I would twice damn myself and advocate the TGO/TUC split again!

EDIT: Bakker's blog includes a link is to the free draft of Crash Space but since the story is published in a philosophy journal, I just thought I'd include their official warning. Classic Bakker.

Interesting. Confirmation that TUC will likely be released within 12 months, and certainly in 2017.

Still a good long wait ahead of us, but at least we have dates :)

Archived