Are we getting a mobile skin?

Ser Scot A Ellison

I have subscribed to one or two topics but am not getting any notifications or don't know where to look for them.

Is it just me or does anyone have this problem

I got a notification when you quoted me :) Still, the images are not loading, so instead of seeing an icon with a red 1 to tell me I had a notification, I see a square line with a red 1.

All the other icons are gone too. The icon which is supposed to tell whether you received a PM? just an empty square. Next to "create", empty squares on both sides. The button to take you to the first unread post of a thread is the same. And so on. 

On PC, that doesn't cause that much of a problem. On phone, the issue was a bit more, as I could clearly see that I had a notification, (I saw only a red circle with a 1 in it), and I could click on it, but nothing would happen. On PC, when I clicked, it clearly showed me a notification. Only of a quoted post, though. Not of any other replies to the thread.

I got a notification when you quoted me :) Still, the images are not loading, so instead of seeing an icon with a red 1 to tell me I had a notification, I see a square line with a red 1.

All the other icons are gone too. The icon which is supposed to tell whether you received a PM? just an empty square. Next to "create", empty squares on both sides. The button to take you to the first unread post of a thread is the same. And so on. 

On PC, that doesn't cause that much of a problem. On phone, the issue was a bit more, as I could clearly see that I had a notification, (I saw only a red circle with a 1 in it), and I could click on it, but nothing would happen. On PC, when I clicked, it clearly showed me a notification. Only of a quoted post, though. Not of any other replies to the thread.

I think i just solved the notification problem.

On the mobile, when you get a notification, click on the red 1, then go to the right side where there is all yellow. There you will get another red 1, click on that and you can access the notifications.

This worked for me.

I don't believe if there is any chance of getting my old posts and post count back???

Apparantely, i came down from 700 something to 7

Without clearing the cache, I can already see them! Cool :)

Though, despite the fact that I follow this thread, I did not receive a notification that there was a new post. I only got one when Swordofthemorning quoted me.

I think notification settings are also reset.

Try changing them

Display worked perfectly on the phone for me from the start.

Although I miss the feature that the board would remember the last reading position at the moment. Nothing horrible though, the normal version on the PC never did that anyway as far as I know.

Display worked perfectly on the phone for me from the start.

Although I miss the feature that the board would remember the last reading position at the moment. Nothing horrible though, the normal version on the PC never did that anyway as far as I know.

yeah, I was actually just coming here to ask about that... Is there no "go to first unread post" button, or am I just a doofus?

(though I almost exclusively browse the site on my phone, I could swear the full skin had "first unread post" option... Could be wrong)

The administrators hopefully have access to all sorts of data that tell them about how people are accessing the site (where, what time, which devices, which systems etc) and that has been taken into consideration in deciding not to have a mobile-friendly version. As someone who used to view this site only on my iPhone - but can no longer even log in on that device - and who appreciated the ease and usability of the last mobile version, I would love to see a mobile version of this new site, but if mobile users are in the minority then that would explain why they've only gone with a responsive web design (noting that mobile users need a lot more from a site then a display that resizes itself). If the data suggests that mobile users do become the majority then I will certainly add my voice to the call for a mobile version. I can live with losing my posts and with going back to freerider status - I knew it was a possibility - but to have to use my computer instead of my phone will see me on the forum a lot less. 

It isn't quite that simple, unfortunately. We do have a lot of mobile users, but the decision to go to a responsive design and ditch the separate mobile skin was made by the forum creators. We have never created any of the skins for the forum, mobile or otherwise, only modified the bases they provide. Anything else is simply way beyond what we can do, so we don't have a choice in this.

Can people who are told that there are issues with cookies when tryin to login on mobile devices list what devices they are using, and what browser on said device? And if possible, can you try multiple browsers? In particular, the Firefox and Chrome apps for iOs, to see if there's any difference with Safari.

Archived