The Embarrising excuse of an Army of Yunkai

Abdallah

Ok as a fan of medieval armies I can't help but spit on the so called Army of Yunkai. Yunkai has 40 commanders because they are "wise" masters. If they were my commanders I'd execute all 40 of them. This isn't an army it's a circus. First theres the Clanker Lords with the brilliant idea to chain their soldiers together. Should be easy for the archers to pick them off before they reach the Unsullied. Then theres Malazza (aka miss wants to be Daenerys). She has 100 young strapping slave soldiers, who are naked. Their strong abs will stop Unsullied Spears. Or how about Paezhar Zo Myraq? his army is full of slaves on stilts. that makes for nice targets. Not only that but they take turns being commander. It's not bad enough having one incompetant commander, they have to have 40 different idiots. This should be easy enough for Ser Barristan to stamp out. Why didn't New Ghis send a real commander to control the army?

This is because slavery makes men weak.  The wise masters have depended on the unsullied and the sellswords for thousands of years.  They are like the "knights of summer" just using the words of Catelyn to describe Renly but taken too far.  They have numbers though and that is what makes them threatening.  The Volantis navy is a real threat, which is on their side.  The sellswords are threats but they can be bought off.

I think the slaves that are chained together are mainly for cannon fodder. The soldiers on stilts is a bit ridiculous although I suppose being perched up on stilts does have some advantages for archers perhaps as they will have higher ground to shoot from. Or perhaps they're meant to be positioned behind a wall of infantry and have long spears to poke at enemies engaging the friendlies in front of them.

This is because slavery makes men weak.  The wise masters have depended on the unsullied and the sellswords for thousands of years.  They are like the "knights of summer" just using the words of Catelyn to describe Renly but taken too far.  They have numbers though and that is what makes them threatening.  The Volantis navy is a real threat, which is on their side.  The sellswords are threats but they can be bought off.

What disgusts me the most is how weak they trained their slaves. Histoircally warriors like the Mamluks were one of the greatest warriors. If Astapor trained Unsullied, why not train a mamluk force? And instead of buying sellswords, who cut and run half the time, train a real army yourself. 

When was the last time Yunkai actually fought any kind of war? Yunkai is hardly the richest of the Ghiscari city-states, and their expertise lies in bed-slaves and not warriors. I imagine their "army" is mostly for show.

New Ghis had maintained an army. I'm suprised No one has conquered an untra rich region with little defense before Daenerys. Just buy the Unsullied, hire abunch of sell swords and next thing you know you're king of Slavers bay. 

George messed up on a few of these.  His 16 year old girl who wants to be Danerys "bred" her strapping soldiers.  How was a 16 year old girl in any position to breed soldiers?  Was she doing it in her mothers womb?  

She probably started having her current slaves have sex with female slaves. 

George messed up on a few of these.  His 16 year old girl who wants to be Danerys "bred" her strapping soldiers.  How was a 16 year old girl in any position to breed soldiers?  Was she doing it in her mothers womb?  

I

I thinks its safe to assume that she inherited the bred slaves from her parent(s) and they inherited from their parent(s) and so on

Ok as a fan of medieval armies I can't help but spit on the so called Army of Yunkai. Yunkai has 40 commanders because they are "wise" masters. If they were my commanders I'd execute all 40 of them. This isn't an army it's a circus. First theres the Clanker Lords with the brilliant idea to chain their soldiers together. Should be easy for the archers to pick them off before they reach the Unsullied. Then theres Malazza (aka miss wants to be Daenerys). She has 100 young strapping slave soldiers, who are naked. Their strong abs will stop Unsullied Spears. Or how about Paezhar Zo Myraq? his army is full of slaves on stilts. that makes for nice targets. Not only that but they take turns being commander. It's not bad enough having one incompetant commander, they have to have 40 different idiots. This should be easy enough for Ser Barristan to stamp out. Why didn't New Ghis send a real commander to control the army?

I think that George RR Martin was inspired by the battle of Sallasil which was fought between the Rashidun Caliphate and the Sassanid empire

Not slavery but mercenaries is the real issue. You can't depend on others to protect you. Those who did (the Roman empire at the end, the Anglo Saxons with the vikings etc) ended up very badly

Because the slavers are BAD GUYS. They're bad guys in every way: Not only are they morally corrupt, but they're idiots, obviously. They have mustaches, and they twirl them. They would tie up virgins on railroad tracks, if there were railroads on Essos. I wish GRRM hadn't treated them this way.

I think that George RR Martin was inspired by the battle of Sallasil which was fought between the Rashidun Caliphate and the Sassanid empire

I thought so too when i heard about the chained soliders. the Only difference is the persians had a real army. They just lacked light cavalry. Where as the Yunkai army is a complete embarressment.  

Well, to be fair, I think putting fighters of stilts was actually a real thing. For exhibition fights, that is, obviously not for actual warfare. And in show business, is there even such a thing as "stupid", when audience keep buying tickets and popcorn?

Of course the Little Pigeon taking them to battle still seems really damn moronic. But hey, maybe he found that, somehow, showing up in flashy outfits can be more profitable than actually contributing something of essence? Just a thought. Maybe he simply is fucking stupid.

Well, to be fair, I think putting fighters of stilts was actually a real thing. For exhibition fights, that is, obviously not for actual warfare. And in show business, is there even such a thing as "stupid", when audience keep buying tickets and popcorn?

Of course the Little Pigeon taking them to battle still seems really damn moronic. But hey, maybe he found that, somehow, showing up in flashy outfits can be more profitable than actually contributing something of essence? Just a thought. Maybe he simply is fucking stupid.

I swear i hope daenerys executes each and every one of these "wise" masters. The only decent one died of diesease. 

New Ghis had maintained an army. I'm suprised No one has conquered an untra rich region with little defense before Daenerys. Just buy the Unsullied, hire abunch of sell swords and next thing you know you're king of Slavers bay. 

George kinda messed the slavers bay plot up it seems.

It's just really poor world building with extra Orientalism on top and double Westerosi/Valyrian supremacism on the side by the author. Should really be clear by now. From early readings of chapters from the Battle of Meereen it seems that even Dany's freedmen companies manage to smash through the actual proffesional troops on the Slaver's side during Barristan's breakout. 

The Unsullied, Dothraki, etc, are an idiotic concept in the way they are explained, but in universe they are considered top tier. Any relation to real world slave-soldiers, Steppe warriors, or any other force from our history is due to the "copy-paste" phase of GRRM's world building, not to the "now mix it up with generic fantasy tropes and my poor understanding of military history" phase, which ends up with the bad joke that is Slaver's Bay's show of force. They have the numbers alright, but it's such a farce that there is only fake drama left. No one actually thinks that Dany's Meereen has a chance to lose, not unless Barristan rolls a string of natural 20's.

Archived