The end of dental fillings?

lokisnow

Scientists have developed a treament to remineralize teeth suffering from cavities, potentially replacing the traditional drill and fill cavity treatment:

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/jun/16/fillings-dentists-tooth-decay-treatment

Scientists have developed a new pain-free filling that allows cavities to be repaired without drilling or injections.

The tooth-rebuilding technique developed at King's College London does away with fillings and instead encourages teeth to repair themselves.

Tooth decay is normally removed by drilling, after which the cavity is filled with a material such as amalgam or composite resin.

The new treatment, called Electrically Accelerated and Enhanced Remineralisation (EAER), accelerates the natural movement of calcium and phosphate minerals into the damaged tooth.

A two-step process first prepares the damaged area of enamel, then uses a tiny electric current to push minerals into the repair site. It could be available within three years.

Professor Nigel Pitts, from King's College London's Dental Institute, said: "The way we treat teeth today is not ideal. When we repair a tooth by putting in a filling, that tooth enters a cycle of drilling and refilling as, ultimately, each 'repair' fails.

"Not only is our device kinder to the patient and better for their teeth, but it's expected to be at least as cost-effective as current dental treatments. Along with fighting tooth decay, our device can also be used to whiten teeth."

FDA approval in ten or twenty years or never as dentists lobby against it?

That's pretty cool. Dentistry has made a lot of great strides. I remember having 30 minute fluoride treatments when i was younger and now they just paint it on your teeth and you brush it off in a few hours. 

No more braces for a lot of cases now. My teeth were out of alignment a few years ago and instead of braces I used invisilign. Finished it up a couple of years ago and my teeth came out great.

If they can figure out a way to get rid of the drill that would be awesome.

This would be pretty awesome.  I was so excited when my kids got sealent put on their molars to help prevent cavities since this was a new process back then. (but they both had several cavities when their braces came off, and I am sure my 3rd kid will too)

ps:  why are my typos no longer outing themselves :(

Archived