ICE DRAGON THEORY

BL00DoftheDRAG0N

Ok, im not going back into any of the novels or companion books for my examples so don't jump down my throat but here it goes.

I believe an ice dragon will have a part to play in ASOIAF and I think that it will definitely tie into the GRRM's short story the Ice Dragon....I've seen some theories that Jon is the ice dragon, or it's sleeping in the wall, or are in the lands of forever winter and will come down to battle danys dragons...these just don't seem probable to me, and im surprised I havent seen anyone come up with what I believe to be the obvious storyline here.

When the ice dragon in the short story dies it turns into a pond that is always cold to the touch, and does not evaporate. 

The pond in Winterfells godswood is said to always be cool, as stated in the first novel when Cat confronts Ned while sharpening his sword....that pond is definitely the melted dragon

Bran is told he will never walk again but he will fly....why does that automatically mean he will just fly around as a 3 eyed crow? 

And must we not forget, winter is coming...

OK, so here is what I think will happen....the winds of winter will come on down and bring the ice dragon back to life, bran will warg said ice dragon and kick some ass (was the ice dragon a "bad guy" in the short story, no, so why does it automatically have to be a agent of the others?)

Eventually we will learn that the original Bran the Builder used an ice dragon to build the wall...bran will then use his ice dragon to rebuild the wall after the battle with the others.

Im hoping for an Ice dragon. But are you saying that Bran will use the ice dragon to fight the Others? Cause if there is a ice dragon it will most likely be used as a weapon for the Others. 

Agreed.

An ice dragon's purpose would make the most sense as a means of fighting Dany's dragons. Ice and fire are both the extremes. Neither of them are good. I think the world needs balance.

I too am an Ice Dragon Truther:P

It has been clarified by GRRM that the children's book The Ice Dragon is not set in this same world. So, un-very-fortunately, your theory cannot come true as written. The two worlds just do not coexist. I have that book, an old and newer copy, and my newer copy does say that TID is set in the same world as Song... but that was a marketing ploy. You can find several links where GRRM clears it up.

Now, as far as in-verse ice dragons... hell yea, bring them on!!! I tend to think that the horn will bring down the wall, the ice dragon in hibernating inside and it could be Jon's to ride. I believe Val will be much more important to Jon and his "rebirth", not Mel. Val is pretty bad ass (woods witch and all) and kinda thinks of Jon as having stole her therefore it makes her his B)

I don't necessarily believe that the Others are the baddies... a certain silver haired chic comes to mind for that.

Bran the builder certainly could have used ice dragons to help him along with the CoTF.

I could be totally wrong about all of this, but in the end I am sure the books won't disappoint with or without them. This is what we know about in-verse ice dragons so far:

Ice dragons are said to roam the Shivering Sea and the White Waste. Reportedly, they are far larger than the dragons of Valyria. Ice dragons are said to be made of living ice, with eyes of pale blue crystal, vast translucent wings, and breath of cold.[1]

There is a constellation of stars named the ice dragon to the north. Its blue eye points north.[2]

Maester Margate has suggested that the tales of Cannibal Bay may be explained as distorted reports of ice dragon activity.[1]

Old Nan used to tell tales of ice dragons.[3][4]

While I do think that the Wall will come down (or at least large portions of it, I dont think it will go back up again.

Joer and Jon both discovered that they were supposed to be protecting all of man against the Others while the Wall only served to keep out the Free Folk.

With the Free Folk most likely joining the Seven Kingdoms I do not see them building a new Wall... Unless it is way further North.

Agreed.

An ice dragon's purpose would make the most sense as a means of fighting Dany's dragons. Ice and fire are both the extremes. Neither of them are good. I think the world needs balance.

Yes. Long night are caused by unbalance. Ice and fire must be balanced , and Jon is the key. And i think both the Others and dragons must die in order to get balance. 

Bran does fly. Bloodraven makes him fly when Bran is comatose after the fall. 

But yeah, I believe in the Ice Dragon. The world book says there is no proof because when they die a puddle is left, but when Sam kills an other, a puddle is left. 

Agreed.

But we already have an opposite of Fire in Ice... The Others.

Why do they have to be the same thing, just one that breathes fire and one that breathes ice?

The Others have Ice Armor and Ice Swords. They live in the Land of Always Winter and bring snow and cold with them when they attack. And they become a pool of water when they are killed.

The story doesn't need more ice. If anything, it needs more Fire. Perhaps a when Jon discovers his own dragon?

Bran does fly. Bloodraven makes him fly when Bran is comatose after the fall. 

But yeah, I believe in the Ice Dragon. The world book says there is no proof because when they die a puddle is left, but when Sam kills an other, a puddle is left. 

And we need to remember that The World Book was written by a measter that is loyal to the Lannister's and the south, therefore you have to be careful what you read because those sneaky sons-of-the-7-bitches don't know anything about the northern gods ;);)

Just a whackadoodle thought, in ADWD, while Bran is exploring the caves, he comes across huge skeletons that are hanging that look like bats. Could they be ice dragon skeletons instead?

But we already have an opposite of Fire in Ice... The Others.

Why do they have to be the same thing, just one that breathes fire and one that breathes ice?

The Others have Ice Armor and Ice Swords. They live in the Land of Always Winter and bring snow and cold with them when they attack. And they become a pool of water when they are killed.

The story doesn't need more ice. If anything, it needs more Fire. Perhaps a when Jon discovers his own dragon?

I could go either way on a ice dragon. I just want to see these damn spiders big as hounds. 

Ok, im not going back into any of the novels or companion books for my examples so don't jump down my throat but here it goes.

I believe an ice dragon will have a part to play in ASOIAF and I think that it will definitely tie into the GRRM's short story the Ice Dragon....I've seen some theories that Jon is the ice dragon, or it's sleeping in the wall, or are in the lands of forever winter and will come down to battle danys dragons...these just don't seem probable to me, and im surprised I havent seen anyone come up with what I believe to be the obvious storyline here.

When the ice dragon in the short story dies it turns into a pond that is always cold to the touch, and does not evaporate. 

The pond in Winterfells godswood is said to always be cool, as stated in the first novel when Cat confronts Ned while sharpening his sword....that pond is definitely the melted dragon

Bran is told he will never walk again but he will fly....why does that automatically mean he will just fly around as a 3 eyed crow? 

And must we not forget, winter is coming...

OK, so here is what I think will happen....the winds of winter will come on down and bring the ice dragon back to life, bran will warg said ice dragon and kick some ass (was the ice dragon a "bad guy" in the short story, no, so why does it automatically have to be a agent of the others?)

Eventually we will learn that the original Bran the Builder used an ice dragon to build the wall...bran will then use his ice dragon to rebuild the wall after the battle with the others.

The ice dragon can have multiple meanings. One meaning Is Jon Snow, but I doubt very much we will see an actual Ice Dragon. Dragons are fire made flesh.

I don't think there will be Ice dragons. Throughout the books dragons are referred to as "Fire made flesh" and "Flaming swords" and all fire related things.  What could an Ice "dragon" mean? I think the possibility of seeing an Ice dragon is there with the possibility of seeing snarks and grumkins.

From a narrative POV, an Ice Dragon makes no sense.  The current 3 dragons were introduced in the first book, dragons in general fleshed out in subsequent books, enhanced in the world book, as ice dragons remain barely mentioned throughout.  If the ice vs fire dragon battle were to occur, it'd be set up long before in previous books.  Spring them out in book 6 or 7, feels like a copout and the work of a lazy writer.  GRRM hasn't done anything to prep ice dragons in the future, unlike so much else in the series.  For anything major like dragons, the nuclear warheads of that time, one should expect more.  For one to just appear doesn't feel like a part of the grand tale.  Just my .02.

From a narrative POV, an Ice Dragon makes no sense.  The current 3 dragons were introduced in the first book, dragons in general fleshed out in subsequent books, enhanced in the world book, as ice dragons remain barely mentioned throughout.  If the ice vs fire dragon battle were to occur, it'd be set up long before in previous books.  Spring them out in book 6 or 7, feels like a copout and the work of a lazy writer.  GRRM hasn't done anything to prep ice dragons in the future, unlike so much else in the series.  For anything major like dragons, the nuclear warheads of that time, one should expect more.  For one to just appear doesn't feel like a part of the grand tale.  Just my .02.

I completely agree.  I think Ice Dragons were only mentioned once in ASOIAF, and that was when Bran was recalling an old story Old Nan used to tell him.

If an Ice Dragon was introduced now this late into the story, it would have a serious "Dues-Ex Machina" feel to it, and in some ways would take away from the aura of Dany's own dragons (being the last ones on the planet).  There has been zero foreshadowing, hints etc in ASOIAF pertaining to them, so it simply makes no sense for them to exist.

Besides, the only reason why people are bringing them up is because of the re-release of GRRM's Short Story (which was written *before* ASOIAF I may add).  I never heard a single discussion of Ice Dragons until that book came out, so I think people are just connecting dots that have no business being connected.

Fire and warmth = good.

That is great! I bet that people like Egg, Dunk, Duncan the Small, Viserys, Rhaenyra, Aerion, Baela, Rhaenys, Rickard,  Qarlton Chelsted, the people Aerys' burned, Lord Sunglass and so on would love to hear more about how fire is a good thing.

If the Ice Dragons fights Dany's then they become the villains of the story.  Which makes sense as ice and cold are represented as death.  Cold = bad, Fire and warmth = good.

Cold can also preserve, as in food, and that = good. Fire can cause burning and death, and that = bad. Villains and heroes are often a matter of perspective in aSoIaF. 

That is great! I bet that people like Egg, Dunk, Duncan the Small, Viserys, Rhaenyra, Aerion, Baela, Rhaenys, Rickard,  Qarlton Chelsted, the people Aerys' burned, Lord Sunglass and so on would love to hear more about how fire is a good thing.

I was gonna say, I wonder if someone's opinion might change if a little napalm got dropped in their general area.
But, I think you got it covered.

There was talk of Ice Dragons before the most recent release.   It's just more prevalent now because it's been brought to mass attention.   Look at the entire story.   It's huge and complicated and twisted and layered like baklava.   The World book had to address the subject of Ice Dragons.   Now I had to wonder if all this extraneous discussion is because ASOIAF became enormous and GRRM simply has put so much time and effort into drawing Fire and painting histories that the Ice Dragons almost had to come up outside the narrative for the sake of space.   Or not.  It's hard to read ADWD without finding references to at the very least other dragons in Hardhome or Winterfell so why not Ice Dragons?   

Yes, I agree that balance is critical to a less than catastrophic end to this story.   There is still so much no one knows and we can only guess at.   Dragons are the fire opposite of what?   Direwolves are the ice opposite of what?   Others are the ice opposite of what?   Red Priests are the fire opposite of what?   Is TPTWP the fire opposite of AA or are they the same hero?  How does TLH fit into that scenario?   I've tried to draw lines of opposites, but the truth is that the task is mind boggling because we just don't know precisely what's good or bad.   We don't even know the Others are bad.   Where do the Maesters fall in the balance?   Would Westeros be Westeros without magic of both ice and fire?   Which element do you classify Andals under?   I think magic is essential in this world--without it Westeros would be doomed to our future or something much like it.   

That balance of magic will have to spill over into the more secular story of the politics of power.   It's unlikely all the magic will be dispelled and some wonderful altruistic King or Queen will unite the realm and everyone lives happily ever after in this story.  

Archived