This might be the worst advert I've ever seen.

polishgenius

they either a) weren't thinking or b ) they WERE thinking and decided that any publicity was good publicity because i find it very difficult that through the whole process of creating an advert and it being approved by various people that NO ONE went ''ohh...that's a bit dodgy don't you think'' 

Which is what led to my own initial inference that perhaps there was something mixed in the water supply that day

yeah, the worst defences i've seen are the tired and predictable ''ugh SJWs ruining everything !!! its just a joke!!!'' 
''its likely the WOMAN who spiked the dudes drink she how shes laughing" 

well, that makes no sense because even if it WAS the lady in the advert laughing because shes spiked her male friends drink...she is a SHITTY friend 

oh no i'm sorry scott but that honestly sounds a bit gross hahahaha i'd try it the once but i doubt id like it - nestor is probably right and that you'd need some alcohol in it !!!! just not put in without your knowledge or consent which this advert was advocating !!!

When you see the list of ingredients it does look like it would be horrible, but it tastes better than it sounds, especially with booze.  You just wouldn't want to drink like 5 of them or you'll likely pay a heavy price.

Eggnog with alcohol is not "spiked" any more than a mojito with rum is "spiked." That's just the way the drink is made. Not putting an appropriate liquor in it is just failing to make it properly. People are free to have their own preferences, and if you want to drink a "virgin eggnog" - more power to you. But it's not real eggnog. 

Does it still contain disgusting amounts of egg and milk and cream shit? Do you buy it in a carton labeled "Eggnog?" Then it's Eggnog.

I usually defend jokes that dare to be a bit risqué, but there's literally nothing funny here.

No set up, no punchline, no nothing. It's just "Haha! Rape!", it's absolutely revolting. What the fuck were they thinking?

I'm really hoping it was just the "spread the Christmas cheer," with no thought at all of anything sexual.  Hell, I'd spike my best friend's eggnog if either of us drank it (although we're both straight males), and wouldn't tell him because I would just assume that's how he wanted.  But that's our particular friendship, and there's a lot that goes in there based on knowledge of each others drinking habits, attitudes, etc.  I wouldn't touch my next closest friend's eggnog (female, who I have a major crush on and she knows) just because she doesn't drink.  In a situation where she did regularly, I might and not think anything of it, but that's 100% speculative because it's not the situation I'm actually in.

Now, the "while they're not looking" in particular implies it, at bare minimum, is going against what they would otherwise wish, so at best we're slipping mind-altering substances into our friend's drinks against what we would think they'd want.  At worst, it's date rape.  I'm one of those "the world has gotten too sensitve" types a lot of times, and I can't see how they thought this was a good ad.  

Going to be fun playing with the new quote feature....

Spike may not be the right connotation.  We've only been friends for 5 years now (Sophomore year of college - our senior year, and 2 years after), but we've been around each other to know we both like our booze if we're not going anywhere afterwards.  Don't even bother asking at this point.

Going to be fun playing with the new quote feature....

Spike may not be the right connotation.  We've only been friends for 5 years now (Sophomore year of college - our senior year, and 2 years after), but we've been around each other to know we both like our booze if we're not going anywhere afterwards.  Don't even bother asking at this point.

Spiking a friend with whom you have no attraction whatsoever with booze (and only if he regularly drinks) as some sort of prank is not too bad.

The act of spiking in general is very sketchy though.

Btw, if you want to get rid of a quote you didn't need, simply add a paragraph before by clicking on the red line that appears when you hover over it. You should be able to delete it after.

they either a) weren't thinking or b ) they WERE thinking and decided that any publicity was good publicity because i find it very difficult that through the whole process of creating an advert and it being approved by various people that NO ONE went ''ohh...that's a bit dodgy don't you think'' 

I very seriously doubt that this brand (Bloomingdales) in that venue (a holiday print catalogue) was trolling for publicity. I'm much more confident that nobody thought very hard about what that display type implied. I'd even be willing to bet that someone just typed that into the layout (might have even been the designer, adding FPO copy that an editor should have changed), and everyone just went with it because nobody else had flagged it on the proofs as inappropriate. A sort of slow-motion bystander effect, as it were. I've seen this effect first-hand many times in my years as a magazine editor.

Spiking a friend with whom you have no attraction whatsoever with booze (and only if he regularly drinks) as some sort of prank is not too bad.

The act of spiking in general is very sketchy though.

Btw, if you want to get rid of a quote you didn't need, simply add a paragraph before by clicking on the red line that appears when you hover over it. You should be able to delete it after.

Hmm, and not it doesn't show my quote within your quote (at least at the message screen).  

I'd agree its sketchy in general.  It's not a prank with me and the other friend.  It's legitimately "I'm sure he wants it like this," (which I'm sure is what a lot of well-intentioned date rape is) based on time together.  It's that lack of knowing she'd want it like (and in this case, the knowledge that she definitely doesn't) that which would stop me from putting anything in friend #2's drink without asking.  The desire doesn't come into play, IMO, just because you shouldn't treat another human being like that, let alone one you supposedly like.  

I very seriously doubt that this brand (Bloomingdales) in that venue (a holiday print catalogue) was trolling for publicity. I'm much more confident that nobody thought very hard about what that display type implied. I'd even be willing to bet that someone just typed that into the layout (might have even been the designer, adding FPO copy that an editor should have changed), and everyone just went with it because nobody else had flagged it on the proofs as inappropriate. A sort of slow-motion bystander effect, as it were. I've seen this effect first-hand many times in my years as a magazine editor.

that's a fair point, it's just so baffling !!! this should have been seen by at least one person who thought ''oooh, better not'' 

that's a fair point, it's just so baffling !!! this should have been seen by at least one person who thought ''oooh, better not'' 

It's cringe-inducing, but sometimes herd stupidity happens in editing. I've seen glaring typos in headlines get to the proofread stage (that is, at least 7 sets of eyeballs read the headline multiple times -- proofreading is the last step before shipping to the printer) before someone caught it. That's one reason why one should never put in joke headlines on proofs -- there is a greater than zero chance that it'll get printed because everyone assumes that someone, somewhere actually signed off on it. Some of the shit I've caught at the proof stage (or, worse, at the Kodak stage) still gives me a frission of anxiety.

Blowjobs are disturbing?  I thought we were supposed to be getting less taboo with sex?

Blowjobs are fine.

Just not in the context of selling ground-up beef. And even if they were okay in that context, that particular ad is still bad. For starters, its not selling anything for the women and men that don't want to give blowjobs. Or the women and men that do want to but not necessarily with a fearful, overwhelmed look.

Archived