Baratheon and Lannister, Who is The More Likely To Lose Great House Title ?

redtree

Stannis is dragonless has few supports. Riverland is done and i just can't see LF let the Vale army support him. So whether it's Aegon or Dany who ends up on the Iron Throne one or both of this great houses will lose their great house title. Which house do you think face a bigger danger to lose their status ?

Baratheon, because there are only four left (not counting bastards), two of which aren't even real Baratheons, and they all seem doomed, whereas there are still a gazillion Lannisters, from the main branch and the secondaries

There might be other, lesser Baratheons running around the Stormlands. Of too little consequence to be mentioned in the series.

But, yeah, if it is between Lannisters and Baratheons losing thier Great House status it will be the Baratheons. The Stormlords mostly backed Aerys at the beginning of Roberts Rebellion and have flipped from side to side in the current series with some now flocking to Aegon over Tommen and Stannis. There seems little fight left in them to stick up for whichever Baratheon claims rule and none with the charisma and leadership of Robert or a Lyonal.

The Lannisters are heavily intermarried with the other Great Houses of the West, we might see an end from Tytos' descendants rule(though not extinguished) and Jason Lannisters descendants take over the leadership of the Westerlands.

Baratheon is already dead.

If Shireen ever gets any titles, she obviously takes her husbands name after marriage.

Stannis would never legitimize any of Robert's bastards, and he would have to take the throne to even consider it.

The only chance they have, IMO, is the eventual reveal of the events of ToJ and whatever lays buried at Starfall...

The Lannisters will definitely take a blow, but I think there's too many of them for there to be any danger of the house dying out. There's the possibility that someone else will take over the Westerlands post-WftD, but I doubt it.  They'll probably remain in power, just significantly weakened.

Unless Edric gets legitimized the Baratheons will almost certainly die off.  If Stannis does survive the series, I've always seen him joining the Night's Watch.  

As mentioned the Lannisters are much more secure in closer ties with their bannermen, there are more of them, and from my own thing, they don't officially claim the crown themselves. The Baratheons do claim the crown so it won't be near as easy to produce a fiction and give them paradon as it would be with the Lannisters, if the Targaryens would take the throne, and the Stormlands won't be as unrly under a non-Lannister as I think the Westerlands would be.

The Baratheon line is finished, once everything is settled there is going to be a new Lord Paramount of the Stormlands and Lord of Storm's End.  Given that I believe Shireen isn't going to survive TWOW, so whomever appoints the new Storm Lord can't give them a added claim of Shireen's hand to either that Lord or their heir.  Chances are if Aegon takes KL, he'll name Jon Connington Lord Paramount and Lord of Storm's End as well as Hand but after Aegon falls and/or Jon dies of greyscale, who knows.

As for the Lannisters, on a thread at Tower of the Hand I predicted that Lucian Lannister is Lord of Casterly Rock by 310 AC.

While not apart of the OP: Because of Jon Arryn's role in RR and first Aegon then probably Dany will take the IT, Harold Hardyng will not take the Arryn name when Little Robert drops.

Baratheon is already dead.

If Shireen ever gets any titles, she obviously takes her husbands name after marriage.

Stannis would never legitimize any of Robert's bastards, and he would have to take the throne to even consider it.

The only chance they have, IMO, is the eventual reveal of the events of ToJ and whatever lays buried at Starfall...

It's more common for the wife to retain their name and the husband and heirs take on the name of the mother in matters where the mother's holdings and name are of greater prestige, there's no set in stone set of rules for taking names. In world you have the Mormonts, in our world you have for example the House of Percy which died out twice in the male line. 

I'd say Baratheon is more likely. The people that wish for the Lannisters to go extinct are dreaming.

That being said, I think both will make it through. The Baratheons will survive the same way they were founded, through a bastard.

Lannisters for sure. Way too many enemies (Stannis, Dany, Aegon, maybe even tyrells and the faith) and they are front and center of the conflicts to come.

Stannis, shireen and and Robert's bastards are on the sidelines right now, so not a lot of their enemies will be marching against them.

Baratheon, they usurped the throne after all.  They should both lose their status, as well as the Tullys, Starks, and Arryns for rebelling in the first place.

Stark won't lose their status, Dany will know the truth.
Arryn is a goner anyway, robin won't survive so it'll be Vale of Hardyng.
Tully, i'm not sure

Baratheon, obviously. Robert's dead, didn't have legitimate kids. Renly's dead, and assuming he was into Loras, he didn't leave any bastards. Stannis has only one daughter, afflicted with greyscale, and probably no bastards. Shadowbabies don't count. Though I admit anything could happen, via Robert's bastards. He had sixteen, and Cersei couldn't have killed them all.

says you. I personally think he will keep his family name.

Pretty sure he will take the Arryn name rather than take the name Hardyng and allow some other Arryn challenge him to be Lord of the Vale, a position held by someone called Arryn for thousands of years.

It seems he is already promoting his Arryn connections over Hardyng.

It was only then that she took note of his heraldry. Though his surcoat and horse trappings were patterned in the red-and-white diamonds of House Hardyng, his shield was quartered. The arms of Hardyng and Waynwood were displayed in the first and third quarters, respectively, but in the second and fourth quarters he bore the moon-and-falcon of House Arryn, sky blue and cream. Sweetrobin will not like that.

Baratheon. I think both Stannis and Shireen are goners. 

Lannisters were nowhere near extinction. Only the Tywin branch seems worse. Others are really decent. 

Arryn, Tully and Bolton are the other houses with single heirs who were in danger.

Baratheon, they usurped the throne after all.  They should both lose their status, as well as the Tullys, Starks, and Arryns for rebelling in the first place.

Since when fighting against a tyrant is usurping?

I would say that the Lannisters are the most likely to survive but I would bet on the Baratheons just because if it happens it will be awesome!

Archived