Something about Lysa Tully

purple-eyes

Very different case, Lysa wanted what Catelyn had, engagement with heir to great lord, LF's love.Arya doesn't want what Sansa wanted which were queenship, gave birth to prince and princes, etc. Arya hated KL while she was there while Sansa loved it

it doesn't necessarily mean that Arya is like Lysa. But Arya is jealous of Sansa in some ways like Lysa had been jealous of Cat

it doesn't necessarily mean that Arya is like Lysa. But Arya is jealous of Sansa in some ways like Lysa had been jealous of Cat

That lasts till the middle of her first chapter in the first book, than she decides she wants different things from life.

Jon was jelaous of Robb.

Stannis was jelaous of Robert.

Tyrion was jelaous of Jaime.

Eddard was jelaous of Brandon.

I don't see many strong parallels to Lysa.  Though thinking of it Eddard might closest to Cat/Lysa situation if Ashara's affair with Stark brothers was really a thing. Arya was never attracted to Joffrey, even if she considered him handsome.

That lasts till the middle of her first chapter in the first book, than she decides she wants different things from life.

Jon was jelaous of Robb.

Stannis was jelaous of Robert.

Tyrion was jelaous of Jaime.

Eddard was jelaous of Brandon.

I don't see many strong parallels to Lysa.  Though thinking of it Eddard might closest to Cat/Lysa situation if Ashara's affair with Stark brothers was really a thing. Arya was never attracted to Joffrey, even if she considered him handsome.

well, Lysa was never attracted to Ned as far as i could tell. as yuno gasai says, Lysa had also been jealous of Cat in some ways, not just in love interest, but in beauty and grace too

"but on the day we wed I was so lovely I put your mother to shame."

the only thing is, Arya is the second daughter like Lysa and both of them had been jealous of of their older sis. but Arya is more like Lyanna, so she had a wild side, but like Lysa, Lyanna also followed her heart by eloping with Rhaegar. Although she died unlike Lysa who had lived to face the consequences of her actions.

Emoticons and expressive words never fail to make arguments more convincing....

It was either emotions or gifs. Which one you prefer?

So Brandon lacked free will and mental capability to understand that if he rides into King's Landing with few men and openly threatens to kill the crown prince it will end either with his imprisonment or death? IMO that was something which was much more predictable than improbable chain of events witch ended with Robert's Rebellion.

Maybe we simply disagree about some rather fundamental points about guilt and responsibility for the actions of other people. For me starting a chain of evens =/= being responsible for everything that follows. In 1914 Gavrilo Princip assassinated Archduke Franz Ferdinand which led directly to the First World War. Do you really believe that he is the man most responsible for it? 

When you, not you you tho, decide to do something as stupid as what Rhaegar did you have to think about the consequences. When someone is eloped without the informations that it was an elopment, someone very reasonably could think that it was a kidnap. From all we know so far Brandon had no idea that Lyanna wanted to leave with Rhaegar so he reasonably tried to save her.

It was either emotions or gifs. Which one you prefer?

Neither would be the best. 

When you, not you you tho, decide to do something as stupid as what Rhaegar did you have to think about the consequences. When someone is eloped without the informations that it was an elopment, someone very reasonably could think that it was a kidnap. From all we know so far Brandon had no idea that Lyanna wanted to leave with Rhaegar so he reasonably tried to save her.

It was probably stupid, yet it did not directly lead to the war and there was no reason to predict it would. There was absolutely nothing reasonable about what Brandon did. He had no real chance to succeed but much bigger chance to make it worse for Lyanna.

• 4 months later...

I pity her. Up to a certain point :)

I don't think she was particularly brave, more reckless (it's always not easy to make a distinction, tho). I wouldn't romanticize her encounters with LF. Don't we call it rape? (though she was probably unaware he thought she was Cat).

Yes, she was pretty, but so what.

Yes, she did betray her family, but her family (father) also betrayed her.

Yes, a victim of patriarchy. I don't think that the old, humorless, constipated Jon Arryn had to die for being undesirable, but I do pity Lysa for being sold to him.

Probably something of a middle child syndrome, her sister was stronger, smarter and 'better' than her, her brother was, well, male. She did seem to be the unfavorite one.

So up to a certain point she was an average girl with a shit luck. Sansa gone wrong. Later... Cersei, only less.

It's not her willfulness, her 'disgrace', her 'lack of loyalty' for her family, the fact that she became ugly (lol). Not even her murder of her husband, as it really gave her a better life position. It's her being an idiot. Her hopelessly hanging up on LF is one thing, but there is her jealousy for the likes of Marillion, being that deluded lady who only believes people who pay her compliments and refuses to think.

So yeah, she was damaged and it's not entirely her fault. LF's treatment of her was horrible, but she was a grown woman who should have used her brain, and a murderer, and an attempted murderer... so as far as LF's victims go, I'll save my sympathies for the likes of Jeyne Poole.

On 11/14/2015 at 7:16 AM, Orphalesion said:

Lysa is definitely not beautiful, all of her descriptions sound positively replusive, inside and out. 
Lysa is not romantic, she is possessive and needy.
Lysa is not brave, being a coward is her defining character trait.
Lysa is willfull, but that is not a positive character trait with her. 

On 11/14/2015 at 1:33 AM, The Wolves said:

Lysa is not like Lyanna nor was the mad idiot brave she was stupid, selfish, disgusting, pathetic, weak and just horrible but not brave. 

Heh. Reminds me of the joke...
Whether someone is a  creepy stalker or a hopeless romantic depends on if theyre ugly or not.

Archived