Best and Worst Husband in ASOIAF series

redtree

Best
- Tywin, and Lannister men in general, cruel to their enemy but typically loyal and kind to their spouses. Jaime was loyal to Cersei, Kevan's last thought was about Dorna)
- Ned, boring but a loyal and dedicated husband and father

Worst
- Rhaegar, no healthy uterus=no love, humiliated Elia in front of ALL Westeros, she almost died giving birth and he left soon after, absentee dad, if i were his wife i'd shove that harp up his ... 
- Gregor Clegane, killed his 2 wives
- Petyr Baelish
- Robert Baratheon, doesn't give rat's ass about humiliating Cersei with his whoring and groping servants in public

We're talking strictly about the character's treatment to their respective spouse, nothing about political skill, sword skill, or social standing etc. Who's your best and worst ?

I don´t think Ned belongs here due to his choice of prioritize Lyannas promise over Catelyn.

Best: Drogo (Yes, Drogo), Roose Bolton, Edmure Tully

Worst: Victarion Greyjoy (for killing his wife), Ser Gregor Clegane (same accusation), Robert Baratheon (Granted, Cersei is not winning any prizes either)

There are so many terrible ones. Gregor, Victarion and Petyr Baelish all killed their wives, so they score as worst to me, also Robert Baratheon for generally disrespecting Cersei (not saying she was a great wife either though, but since we're on husbands...), and Rhaegar, because what he did to Elia is not cool, though they obviously aren't as bad. 

Ned seems like an ok husband, despite the whole promise thing, and even though Tywin is a terrible human being, he did seem to genuinely love Joanna. 

EDIT: how the hell did I miss RAMSAY? :dunno:

Ahh, yes - completely missed Ramsey. He should top the list

In general - isn´t the main important factor here what the spouse actually think about their partner and not their actual deeds? Yes, Petyr killed Lysa but until then she was perfectly happy with him. How much the husband loves his wife or if we on this forum approves should have absolutely zero weight for the judgement in this. 

- Rhaegar, no healthy uterus=no love, humiliated Elia in front of ALL Westeros, she almost died giving birth and he left soon after, absentee dad, if i were his wife i'd shove that harp up his ... 

There is no evidence for this. Elia has never been portrayed as angry or resentful with Rhaegar. If anything he seems to be including her in his plot.

best: Jorah Mormont. Risked execution for selling slaves so his wife would buy more stuff.

worst: Stannis. Cold and distant, only dutiful in bed, sired a child and that was enough for him so he wouldn't need to touch his wife anymore. Could be what ultimately pushed Selyse into the red religion fanaticism, with all of its consequences.

Best: I'd say Samwell Tarly. Whatever his martial abilities, he's loyal, cares and genuinely a good person.

Worst: It's be between Ramsay and Craster. Unfortunately you'd need a team of scientists to dive 20 feet deep into the cesspools of their characters to determine who's worse, so it's not worth it.

There is no evidence for this. Elia has never been portrayed as angry or resentful with Rhaegar. If anything he seems to be including her in his plot.

If anything there's no evidence for your theory too, we haven't got any pov that's close to Elia so we don't know her feelings toward the war

best: Jorah Mormont. Risked execution for selling slaves so his wife would buy more stuff.

worst: Stannis. Cold and distant, only dutiful in bed, sired a child and that was enough for him so he wouldn't need to touch his wife anymore. Could be what ultimately pushed Selyse into the red religion fanaticism, with all of its consequences.

He was a good husband but i wonder if he'd still be a good husband when the wife is no longer young and beautiful. His attraction to Lynesse was purely physical and they have no children too, and like relationship in real life, physical attraction will slowly fade ebacuse he'd be getting used to it. I also wonder if Stannis would be a warmer husband if he had a fairer wife. Based on Mel's POV, he cheats on Selyse with Melisandre regularly, but with Mel it isn't just physical attraction, she also gives him verbal bj so to speak. Typical men, flatter his ego and hook,line and sinker

The best would be Eddard, Tywin/Kevan, and I'd wager Mace Tyrell. (His family is extremely unified and loving, I see no reason not to believe that that was extended to his wife and the mother of his children as well)

The worst are just too numerous to count.

I don´t think Ned belongs here due to his choice of prioritize Lyannas promise over Catelyn.

Best: Drogo (Yes, Drogo), Roose Bolton, Edmure Tully

Worst: Victarion Greyjoy (for killing his wife), Ser Gregor Clegane (same accusation), Robert Baratheon (Granted, Cersei is not winning any prizes either)

Roose Bolton? The man that married his wife simply for monetary gain?

If anything there's no evidence for your theory too, we haven't got any pov that's close to Elia so we don't know her feelings toward the war

Dany has her vision where Rhaegar tells either (or perhaps both) her and/or Elia that there must be one more. We know Elia could not have more children, so she would know that too.

If Elia was pissed at her husband wouldn't Doran and Oberyn blame Rhaegar more for what happened? They seem pretty pro-Targ. It feels as though the Dornish involved did not blame Rhae-Rhae for what went down, possibly due to being more sympathetic with atypical marriage situations like polygamy and paramours. 

Archived