Best and Worst Husband in ASOIAF series

redtree

Best

Stannis Baratheon - You could be a fat, ugly, bigoted, selfish bearded lady, and Stannis still won't put you aside or divorce you. Not even if he becomes king and therefore gains a lot more marriage options. Plus, he's a good father [I'm gonna preemptively say it: the show has NO relevance in discussions pertaining to the books].

Orys Baratheon - He's a true gentleman. If he sees you drunkenly stumbling naked in an alleyway, he'll give you his cloak to cover yourself. 

Worst

Renly Baratheon - It does not matter how attractive you are, he won't feel anything for you and will cheat on you with your brother.

Aegon I "the Conqueror" Targaryen - For every one day he spends with you, he'll spend ten with his younger sister Rhaenys Targaryen.

Because he's too busy banging the local priestess to remember you exist.

Right after he killed your father! Sure, I totally believe the account written by Orys' chronicler saying Argella jumped the guy with Dad's head on a spike outside his tent!

Well, Margaery knew he was a flaming homo coming in....

So in other words, Aegon belongs on the "Best Husband" list with his marriage to Rhaenys and the "Worst Husband" list with Visenya. 

Because he's too busy banging the local priestess to remember you exist.

Right after he killed your father! Sure, I totally believe the account written by Orys' chronicler saying Argella jumped the guy with Dad's head on a spike outside his tent!

So in other words, Aegon belongs on the "Best Husband" list with his marriage to Rhaenys and the "Worst Husband" list with Visenya. 

It is possible that zealous Selsye was ok with it. "In service to The Lord Of Light" and all that noise ...

Orys ... we don't have an alternative account, and Argilac might not have been such a good father if he was willing to marry his daughter to an inbred polygamist. 

You can't criticize Stannis for getting some on the side if you're going to excuse Renly for doing the same.

... yeah, you're right about Ageon. 

Before Mel.......Stannis. He never wanted to marry or breed with someone who could produce heirs after all the failed tries. Also Selyse is straight ugly ugly as heck. Respects woman in general, wanted to ban brothel's and gives very serious penalties to rapists. 

With Mel in the picture his wife pretty much wanted him to, and he did legit believe he was doing it for the greater good. But with just Selyse to marry an ugly crazy person like that, who failed numerous attempts at giving birth, and to never mess around, or pull a Rhagar etc

Worst- Ramsay, Craster, King Bob, Walder Frey

You mean a woman whose bloodline is ancient and her family had ruled that kingdom for thousand of years and would add credibility to his rule. He was a selective gentleman that one

Orys had his friend/half-brother(?) Ageon and his dragons to back him up, so he didn't need a claim. We both know that when the garrison brought Argella naked and chained to Orys they expected him to do something much worse.

Margaery knew from the start and Renly+Loras was already a couple before their marriage. There must be an agreement between them so i don't count that as cheating, it's just an open marriage

What woman doesn't dream of marrying a homosexual man who sleeps with her brother and sees sex as a grueling part of procreation?

Stannis or Renly?

Stannis only hated sleeping with his wife because she was ugly. But he makes up for it by not having a mistress for 15 years (and even then it's under specific circumstances, and probably with his wife's permission).

Stannis only hated sleeping with his wife because she was ugly. But he makes up for it by not having a mistress for 15 years (and even then it's under specific circumstances, and probably with his wife's permission).

Ugly was not all of it. Was also unfair how his brother Robert got to go around and have sex with every girl in the kingdoms, and then he is forced to marry into a family he views as traitors and even worse she is ugly. While his older brother got to be a scumbag, only a scumbag has sex on his brothers bed before he does on his own wedding night

Or maybe Stannis does not like having sex, he's Asexual and finds it a gruelling thankless task.

"He goes to his marriage bed like a man marching to a battlefield, with a grim look in his eyes and a determination to do his duty."

What wife does not dream of that response from their husband.

Isn't it possible that Margaery was okay with Renly and Loras also?

Is there a reason that people have the need to over exaggerate Renly's sexuality recently?

Ugly was not all of it. Was also unfair how his brother Robert got to go around and have sex with every girl in the kingdoms, and then he is forced to marry into a family he views as traitors and even worse she is ugly.

Why couldn't Stannis sleep around also if he wanted to?  Moreover, why would he consider the Florents as traitors also when was he forced into it.

Stannis Baratheon - You could be a fat, ugly, bigoted, selfish bearded lady, and Stannis still won't put you aside or divorce you. Not even if he becomes king and therefore gains a lot more marriage options.

Huh? He is a rebel who has always looked doomed to fail in his claim and lose his head except for a brief period when he was on campaign (after Renly died and before Blackwater). Why would anyone want to marry him?

C'mon, you can call Stannis the only rightful king, the best character, the only one who deserves the Iron Throne, but to say he was a good husband? I don't know, I sure wouldn't want someone like Stannis as my husband.

The best one has to be Ned. Her and Cat's relationships was based on mutual love and respect, he listened to her advice, he valued her and though he kept a big secret from her, I think he had his reasons. 

I think Illyrio Mopatis was a good and loving husband for Serra, though keeping his dead wife's hands is a bit creepy.

As for the worst, Ramsey and Craster have no competition.

Admitting subjectivity in discussions like this one is crucial, as you're wrong. Not everything is subjective. For one, the fact that Ned's called Ned, is lord of Winterfell, and is married to Cat are not subjective; they're facts, from the text.

Then--no imo--you're demanding perfection where none can be found. No one's saying that Ned's perfect. From what I can gather, those people who put Ned on top of their lists are merely saying that in this world of grey people, Ned is better than most.

Of course everything is subjective - material things might look absolute but their appearance, sound, taste, touch...ect, are all open to interpretation. Sure - you cannot argue whether something like a ham exists, but people will have widely different sensory reactions from that ham and there is no "right" or "wrong" way to react.

Our perception is our individual reality, and since we all perceive things (ideas, art, etc) differently, then how is everything not utterly subjective? Indeed - how can I be wrong when according to you it´s crucial to admit subjectivity while at the same time you are arrogant enough to believe your view has a status of something more and so refuses to do that?

I am coming off topic here, but my point is that it is indeed very possible for me to criticize Ned for his mistake and simply pointing out that there is no support for the idea that Ned are "better than most". The purpose is to make those people putting him as one of the best husbands in Westeros to motivate their logic - something so far they and you have been unwilling to do and instead try to change the goalposts (But think of poor Jon!). This is confirmation bias. 

If you think Ned is the best husband - explain why he is the best husband, not person. So far, the only thing you have claimed is that somehow he should get bonus points from the amounts of information we have relative to other westerosi couples, and that's just an absurd conclusion to draw. Granted, it seems to be a strong argument in your mind and normally that would be enough, but we are debating here (that is: comparing and motivating ideas) and I expect better in order for us to build together an intersubjective reality.

Don´t want to build one? That's ok, but don´t be surprised if I will continue to criticize Neds swine behaviour towards Cat, because it should be critiqued and not just brushed aside. 

C'mon, you can call Stannis the only rightful king, the best character, the only one who deserves the Iron Throne, but to say he was a good husband? I don't know, I sure wouldn't want someone like Stannis as my husband.

I only mentioned him because he was willing to put up with Selsye for 15 years. That must count for something.

If I were committing high treason, I'd want to ensure that my wife was not an accomplice.

But how is that making him a better husband and not a worse one? Sure, Cat won´t have a burden to bear but she doesn´t know that. Instead she is angry about Ned´s bastard, which cause her unhappiness. You don´t get husband-points for taking a decision for your partner in order to protect her if she doesn´t want to be protected in  the first place. 

In short, if you want to ensure that your wife is not an accomplice you are responsible for eventual unhappiness stemming from such a choice - don´t handwaive that consequence away. 

Archived