Best and Worst Husband in ASOIAF series

redtree

Best:                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Ned: Obviously,

Tywin: Man might be a villain, but by all accounts he loved his wife and gave her a voice.

Drogo: Again, a villain, but he loved Dany, and made her feel respected and powerful for the first time in her life.

Kevan, Davos: Seem to love and respect their wives.

Worst:                                                                                                                                                                                                Ramsay and Victarion. Obviously.

Oh, and Rhaegar, though he's admittedly not on Ramsay-Victarion levels.

The best would be Eddard, Tywin/Kevan, and I'd wager Mace Tyrell. (His family is extremely unified and loving, I see no reason not to believe that that was extended to his wife and the mother of his children as well)

The worst are just too numerous to count.

Nope. Ned lied to Cat.

Dany has her vision where Rhaegar tells either (or perhaps both) her and/or Elia that there must be one more. We know Elia could not have more children, so she would know that too.

If Elia was pissed at her husband wouldn't Doran and Oberyn blame Rhaegar more for what happened? They seem pretty pro-Targ. It feels as though the Dornish involved did not blame Rhae-Rhae for what went down, possibly due to being more sympathetic with atypical marriage situations like polygamy and paramours. 

That simply means that Elia know that Rhaegar wanted one more kids, doesn't mean that she'd expect moreover agrees to be publicly cuckolded and humiliated with the kidnapping incident. 
Actually Doran was mentioned to be really slighted and furious by Rhaegar's treatment that he took his sweet time and only send 10k spears. Dany is the only way for him to get revenge on Lannister because she's the only Targs left, he couldn't just act on his own, Dany is supposed to be his ride. She's innocent of the whole RR so off course the Martells don't hate/blame her

Nope. Ned lied to Cat.

He had to. He was trying to protect his sister's kid and his own family from Robert's wrath. Otherwise, Ned was an exemplary husband and father, and, unlike someone like Drogo, who might have treated Dany with respect until he met the next pretty female three years down the line, Ned had a long time with Cat in which he could have fucked up, but didn't. There's little evidence that Cat felt oppressed. She was loved and respected and had a voice in the running of Winterfell; you can see that in the way Ned and Cat speak together, in the way Ned protects her when she kidnaps Tyrion, and in the way Robb and other northern lords treat her, until Robb becomes king and drops her advice.

Seriously, only a woman who felt powerful in her own right would do something as crazy as kidnap a Lannister son.

He cheated on his wife though.

Right. But the thread wasn't about who was the perfect husband. I can't think of such a thing in Westeros.

But then, I'm one of those who think there are worse things than cheating.

...but who didn't? Other than Ned, do we know of a faithful husband? At least Davos sees his unfaithfulness as a (minor) fault.

Tywin? Kevan? Mace? Doran? Jon Arryn? Edmure? I could go on...

There are plenty of faithful husbands in the series.

Let's flip it around and discuss best and worst WIVES of the series.

Worst Wife of Westeros probably goes to Lady Lysa Arryn, alternately Cersei. Both kill their husbands for selfish reasons. 

Best wife probably goes to Cat, though she seems like a bit of a nag and not a great step-mom to Jon. Crasters wives seem pretty good too. At least they don't complain all the time. 

Tywin? Kevan? Mace? Doran? Jon Arryn? Edmure? I could go on...

There are plenty of faithful husbands in the series.

You're sort of right. The thing is, we don't know if they're faithful or not. Davos specifically talks about it, and Ned, I believe, says or implies that he hasn't (I could be wrong). We don't know enough about these others to know one way or another, with the exception of Edmure. Edmure, of course, has suffered a very odd few months of marriage. 

Anyhow, faithfulness is not 100% necessary to being a good husband, not in Westeros, anyway.

Edit: lol Drogo is faithful!

Let's flip it around and discuss best and worst WIVES of the series.

Worst Wife of Westeros probably goes to Lady Lysa Arryn, alternately Cersei. Both kill their husbands for selfish reasons. 

Best wife probably goes to Cat, though she seems like a bit of a nag and not a great step-mom to Jon. Crasters wives seem pretty good too. At least they don't complain all the time. 

Cersei-Lysa would be worst.

Of the few married women who play a noticeable part in the series Cat would be the best. Olenna sounds good, too. She sounds like she would have been very critical of her husband's decisions, but at least she didn't kill him, or make a point of getting rid of his offspring. 

Worst? Cersei. Lysa at least has the excuse of becoming gradually unstable. Mentally, I mean.

Best? Genna Lannister. She suffered her nullity of a husband with admirable restraint for someone of her temper. Of course, she might be wanting in some very important areas, like fidelity.

Cat truly seems the best but I don't find it this hard to be a good wife if you're a decent human being and you're married to Ned.

Wow. Some of you are surprisingly hard on Ned for keeping a secret from Cat that probably saved an innocent child's life. This really makes him a bad husband?

Most of the SJWs who believe that care more about womyns rights to be recognized as stronk than infants rights to not be smashed with a warhammer by Bobby B.

Worst: Rhaegar, Craster, Ramsey, Victarion, Gregor.

Best: Ned, Tywin, Kevan, Edmure, Davos.

I don't see how Robert is one of the worst. Sure he cheated but so what? Sex is simply sex. Just like I cannot see how Stannis is the worse either.

Dany has her vision where Rhaegar tells either (or perhaps both) her and/or Elia that there must be one more. We know Elia could not have more children, so she would know that too.

If Elia was pissed at her husband wouldn't Doran and Oberyn blame Rhaegar more for what happened? They seem pretty pro-Targ. It feels as though the Dornish involved did not blame Rhae-Rhae for what went down, possibly due to being more sympathetic with atypical marriage situations like polygamy and paramours. 

That is wrong, Elia could had more children but she would die in process. The fact that Rhaegar said that doesn't mean that Elia knew what he was talking about.

You do remember that Aerys had to basically blackmail the Dornish in order for them to support him right? Because that doesn't seem like they were ok with what Rhaegar did.

Most of the SJWs who believe that care more about womyns rights to be recognized as stronk than infants rights to not be smashed with a warhammer by Bobby B.

Not necessarily. I, for one, believe Ned was right in keeping the secret from Cat. I also think that makes him a worse husband than he could have been. He chose other priorities over being the best husband as as good as they might have been, it doesn't change the fact that his marriage came second.

A friend of mine describes her husband as "a great son, a very good brother, a good father, and a mediocre husband". I'd say that Ned placed Jon, Lyanna, and basically being on the safe side where something very important was concerned over his wife. So no, not the best husband.

That is wrong, Elia could had more children but she would die in prossess. The fact that Rhaegar said that doesn't mean that Elia knew what he was talking about.

You do remember that Aerys had to basically blackmail the Dornish in order for them to support him right? Because that doesn't seem like they were ok with what Rhaegar did.

I usually rail on Rhaegar, but I'll defend him a bit: ita that Elia would die if she had another child. Given that, isn't it more considerate of Rhaegar to get his third head from another woman, instead of risking his wife's life?

I oddly don't find his affair a problem, in that imo that's better than killing your wife in childbirth to fulfill a prophecy. Had Rhaegar done this the way most other lords seem to, on the side, without scandal, I wouldn't be bitching. Problem is he went out of his way to humiliate his wife (Harrenhal) then eloped.

Archived