His Dark Materials Series

Seaworth'sShipmate

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone is home right now go to HBO and rewind it 20 min. D and D are going over certain characters, and one of the dummies said that Stannis burning shireen is not a huge surprise or shouldnt have been one, cause the first time Stannis was ever shown, he was burning people on the beach for the first scene..............wow unreal. Doesnt even know his own show. He was burning WOOD on the beach, wooden symbols of the faith of the 7 religion, not 1 person was burned in that scene. Shocked he somehow said that

I'm having difficulty trying to think of what led you to post that in this thread.

• 3 months later...

The Dark Materials series has got its writer: Jack Thorne. An excellent choice, as he's one of the top writers in the UK at the moment. He did The Fades and Skins, was just nominated for three BAFTAs, just quit the Sandman movie when they (apparently) wanted to make it more of a superhero action film and is the main writer on the Harry Potter stageplay. The guy has the chops to do this very well.

3 hours ago, Werthead said:

The Dark Materials series has got its writer: Jack Thorne. An excellent choice, as he's one of the top writers in the UK at the moment. He did The Fades and Skins, was just nominated for three BAFTAs, just quit the Sandman movie when they (apparently) wanted to make it more of a superhero action film and is the main writer on the Harry Potter stageplay. The guy has the chops to do this very well.

I hope so. I think this has great potential as a tv series, though budget may make some things tricky. With a good writer though, some of the flaws that become more pronounced in the second and third book might be fixed in the adaptation. 

Well, that's the eternal debate among the HDM community... I for one am on board with those who think it was a wonderful, beautiful and powerful ending... but that debate has no end, I wont convince you, you wont convince me. ^^

1 minute ago, Arkash said:

Well, that's the eternal debate among the HDM community... I for one am on board with those who think it was a wonderful, beautiful and powerful ending... but that debate has no end, I wont convince you, you wont convince me. ^^

I thought the series was flawed but it wasn't the ending I had an issue with. I actually really liked a lot of the Amber Spyglass, and the Subtle Knife has the wonderful Lee Scorseby's chapters (possibly the highlights of the trilogy). Some tweaks here and there with things like cutting out some of the fluff, not making Lyra almost displease as a character in SK, etc. would solve a lot of my problems with it. I suspect some of the stuff I really liked will end up cut (like, a lot of the Mary and the wheel pod things for example, I don't think would translate well to the screen, although it's pretty important to the ending) but still, I will remain cautiously optimistic for now.

Has anyone thought who they would like to see cast? Sad thing about the movie was it had so much potential with the casting but was atotal flop.

24 minutes ago, Arkash said:

IDK. I gave The Tombs of Atuan a second chance, maybe at some point in the future I'll try to give The Amber Spyglass another chance. Maybe the ending was pure gold but I couldn't get there because it just got too ridiculous.

20 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Has anyone thought who they would like to see cast? Sad thing about the movie was it had so much potential with the casting but was atotal flop.

I thought the casting for the film was generally good although some of the actors didn't get much to do due to the way they compressed the plot (Eva Green was wasted, for example, and Daniel Craig never got to do the key scene of his story). The best thing about the film was the daemons, which I think they got just right.

Niche gripe here, but the movie got the bear voice casting twisted. Ian McShane was far more suited to voice the rough, renegade king-in-exile Iorek, and Ian McKellen would have been better for the self-impressed, human-mimicking usurper king Iofur (or, now that I look it up, I guess they named him Ragnar in the movie?).

I get that everybody loves Ian McKellen and it's a weird thought to cast him as a villain, and McShane is so deliciously natural for a villainous role, but their voice qualities, in my mind, totally clashed with the personalities of the characters themselves. It seemed like the kind of shallow decision-making that made the movie a disappointment.

I agree that the last book in particular is flawed and disappears up its own arse a few times, and Pullman gets a bit heavy handed with his anti-Catholic agenda, but I still love it all the same.

I'm on board with this series, but I'm concerned about the budget. It's really important that they get the dæmons right and they're not something you can just hide away if they get too expensive.

18 hours ago, williamjm said:

I thought the casting for the film was generally good although some of the actors didn't get much to do due to the way they compressed the plot (Eva Green was wasted, for example, and Daniel Craig never got to do the key scene of his story). The best thing about the film was the daemons, which I think they got just right.

Yeah that was kind of what I meant. Casting was mostly great but let down by the complete flop everywhere else.

Except the Daemon's, as you say. They were well done. Be interesting how the show will manage this aspect, as I assume it's expensive to do

8 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Except the Daemon's, as you say. They were well done. Be interesting how the show will manage this aspect, as I assume it's expensive to do

This does worry me. It is possible to do convincing CGI creatures on a TV budget, but every minute they're on screen will cost money and if they're doing a proper adaptation they'd really need to be on screen in almost every scene. It's noticeable that GoT limits how many scenes have CGI direwolves or dragons, and I'd suspect GoT might have a higher budget than this adaptation.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, each time I think about this show, one of the first thought that comes to my mind is : please let them have the necessary budget for the daemons ! They will be the make or break of the show, they truly need to make them amazing ! 

The stage adaptation used puppetry for the daemons, and that was well received - a foretaste of the acclaim the horse puppets ( + dog + goose) of Warhorse would later attract. Obviously, for television, pure puppetry wouldn't work these days. I admit that regretfully, given that one of my formative childhood experiences was watching a vhs of Jim Henson's Storyteller to death. 

But using a puppet base with CGI touch ups might be effective, and hopefully not eat up the budget? 

What I would like is for the new series to cast plenty of relative unknowns (not just the kids). I'm fed up of seeing the same actors show up again and again. New people would help with suspension of disbelief and get fresh blood into the system. 

• 1 year later...

His Dark Materials casts Dafne Keen (Logan) as Lyra, which is the best bit of casting ever, and Lin-Manuel Miranda as Lee Scoresby, which is a bit more WTF but let's roll with it.

Tom Hooper (The King's Speech) is directing the first season, with Jack Thorne (The FadesSkins) writing. The plan is to adapt the trilogy across five eight-episode seasons (and not just one six-episode season, as some reports have suggested today).

Filming will start in a matter of weeks to air on BBC-1 next year and possibly Netflix, depending on who wins that bidding war.

Archived