His Dark Materials Series

Seaworth'sShipmate

6 hours ago, Werthead said:

His Dark Materials casts Dafne Keen (Logan) as Lyra, which is the best bit of casting ever, and Lin-Manuel Miranda as Lee Scoresby, which is a bit more WTF but let's roll with it.

Tom Hooper (The King's Speech) is directing the first season, with Jack Thorne (The FadesSkins) writing. The plan is to adapt the trilogy across five eight-episode seasons (and not just one six-episode season, as some reports have suggested today).

Filming will start in a matter of weeks to air on BBC-1 next year and possibly Netflix, depending on who wins that bidding war.

That’s really cool about Dafne Keen, didn’t know she’s part British. I’m a bit concerned about the 5 seasons though, considering the story in the books takes place over the course of roughly one year. Kids grow up fast.

15 hours ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

That’s really cool about Dafne Keen, didn’t know she’s part British. I’m a bit concerned about the 5 seasons though, considering the story in the books takes place over the course of roughly one year. Kids grow up fast.

It'll be interesting to see how they split the story between five seasons. I'd assume that means some parts of the story in the North from the first book get pushed into the second season, I wonder if they're thinking of having the ending of the first book as the season 2 finale (it would be a bit odd in the middle of a season). Although I think it's good they're giving the story plenty of time, maybe 40 episodes is a bit too much.

Do you think there is any plan to use material from The Book of Dust at all? I suppose that will depend a lot on how much Pullman gets involved, if at all. I don’t see them including anything from La Belle Sauvage as the stuff relevant to the main story of HDM is covered in sufficient detail by that trilogy. But if there is a plan for 5 seasons, potentially material from the following books could be included depending what they cover.

In a funny coincidence, I actually went looking for news regarding the second book of the new trilogy. Didn’t find anything, but it made me double take when I logged on to the forum later to see this thread bumped because I thought I might have stumbled across relevant news in my own search!

I felt the books went down in quality after the first, but still giving the trilogy over to 40 episodes (1/2 hour?), rather than squeezing it into just 8-10 hours of movie is a good idea. And the whole story is good enough to be adaptable into a good series. I do feel like they would probably tell the story in 30 episodes though. 3x10 episode seasons would work better for the problem of the aging of young cast members. Or maybe if they made 1 hr shows they could tell the story in 2x8 or 10 episode seasons.

I suppose, though if you make those first 8x1/2hr episodes and they bomb, this is less of an investment to have to throw in the trash than if you made 10x1hr episodes.

8 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I felt the books went down in quality after the first, but still giving the trilogy over to 40 episodes (1/2 hour?), rather than squeezing it into just 8-10 hours of movie is a good idea. And the whole story is good enough to be adaptable into a good series. I do feel like they would probably tell the story in 30 episodes though. 3x10 episode seasons would work better for the problem of the aging of young cast members. Or maybe if they made 1 hr shows they could tell the story in 2x8 or 10 episode seasons.

I suppose, though if you make those first 8x1/2hr episodes and they bomb, this is less of an investment to have to throw in the trash than if you made 10x1hr episodes.

I don't know if they've said what the episode length will be, but it would be unusual (although not completely unprecedented) for the BBC to do a half hour drama. I'd think 45 minutes would be more likely. I agree 3x10 episodes seems a more obvious way of doing it.

On 3/11/2018 at 0:55 AM, HelenaExMachina said:

Do you think there is any plan to use material from The Book of Dust at all? I suppose that will depend a lot on how much Pullman gets involved, if at all. I don’t see them including anything from La Belle Sauvage as the stuff relevant to the main story of HDM is covered in sufficient detail by that trilogy. But if there is a plan for 5 seasons, potentially material from the following books could be included depending what they cover.

In a funny coincidence, I actually went looking for news regarding the second book of the new trilogy. Didn’t find anything, but it made me double take when I logged on to the forum later to see this thread bumped because I thought I might have stumbled across relevant news in my own search!

lol. This happened to me too.

Pullman finished the second novel around the time the first one was published, it was in a lot of the publicity he did when the book came out. I assume it will be published later this year.

• 2 months later...
8 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

They do look to be assembling a good cast for it. I'm not sure I'd have thought of McAvoy in the role but I reckon he should do a good job with it.

The story also mentions Clarke Peters being cast as the Master of Jordan College, from what I remember that's not a particularly big role in terms of screen time but it is fairly crucial for the start of the story.

2 hours ago, williamjm said:

They do look to be assembling a good cast for it. I'm not sure I'd have thought of McAvoy in the role but I reckon he should do a good job with it.

The story also mentions Clarke Peters being cast as the Master of Jordan College, from what I remember that's not a particularly big role in terms of screen time but it is fairly crucial for the start of the story.

If they decide to incorporate any of the Book of Dust the Master of Jordan will be a bigger part too. 

McAvoy is a good cast. Not someone who would immediately Spring to mind but he is very versatile and has a strong presence so works for me

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Calibandar said:

I'm hoping this will move up to a 2019 release, just like happened with The Witcher.

Should be possible since they already started filming last month.

Apparently the post-production requirements are going to be enormous due to the daemons, so we may be in for long waits between seasons.

As a counterpoint, though, they really need to move fast because Dafne Keen has just turned 13, so even if they keep to one season a year, she'll be 17 in the last season, which is going to be fairly obvious on screen (and unlike GoT they can't say the show is taking place over many years because the books take place over about a year I think, max). If they go 18-24 months between seasons, that problem will be a lot worse.

Archived