His Dark Materials Series

Seaworth'sShipmate

I'm surprised at how young she must have been in "Logan" if she's only just turned 13.

While it could be problematic if she appears too old to be playing a young child by the end of it, we have to remember that TV audiences are used to older people playing kids. Another important factor is that with almist a year between seasons the regular viewer has time to accept the change. It's only really going to be noticeable for those binge watching box sets once it's done. She's not going to age much within a given season.

It is a pitfall with a long form adaptation but I think it's more important to get a good actor and not have to recast.

But this does need a regular schedule and not a BBC "we'll do another season when we get around to it" that they tend to go for. Even their biggest show "Dr who" has a random release with over a year between seasons at times. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/25/2019 at 2:04 PM, Heartofice said:

Here's hoping they get to the second and third books. I think they might, this looks better than the movie so far.

The show has been renewed for Season 2 already. As they are adapting the 3 books across 5 seasons, they'll definitely get to at least the start of Book 2 in the second season.

On 2/25/2019 at 3:38 PM, BigFatCoward said:

Ruth Wilson is perfect as Mrs Coulter. She's already shown she can change a character from hated to sympathetic in Luther. 

Have you watched The Affair? The shifting perspectives of the show allow many different facets of the characters to be seen. The leads are all very good. The narrative (how people perceive their own actions vs how they are seen by others) is the best thing about the show for me. 

Anyway... Excited for HDM. As someone said above, the daemons in the play were done as puppets (The Storyteller is also very dear to my heart) and this worked well in the stage. In fact the stage version was so good I was even more crushed about the film. But the daemons are pivotal for the story to work on screen. 

2 hours ago, Isis said:

Have you watched The Affair? The shifting perspectives of the show allow many different facets of the characters to be seen. The leads are all very good. The narrative (how people perceive their own actions vs how they are seen by others) is the best thing about the show for me. 

Loved S1, it went off the rails and we gave up pretty early in S2. 

On 2/27/2019 at 1:00 PM, BigFatCoward said:

Loved S1, it went off the rails and we gave up pretty early in S2. 

Yes, it had some weak spots. S4 came back up to the same quality as S1 I thought. And I thought that the end of S4 would've been a really good point to end the whole thing. But I hear they're dragging it out still further. :/

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Cautiously optimistic. Please don’t suck!

My thoughts exactly! 

It'll be broadcast around the same time as The Secret Commonwealth is launched. 

Looks promising. It also looks like lyra will probably be a little older. I was going to say she seems to have grown but that's a bit silly given it's been 3 years since Logen was made - what else was she going to do!

The budget on this one must be pretty high/ cgi has come a long way in 12 years when a tv show can do equal/better effects than a film.

26 minutes ago, dog-days said:

My thoughts exactly! 

It'll be broadcast around the same time as The Secret Commonwealth is launched. 

I wonder if they will incorporate any elements from the new books? It looks like 'the belle sauvage" is out of the running but based on the synopsis of "secret commonwealth" it could be used down the road.

I really want to see Will make his on screen debut. Might be a while/not happen depending on how they break down the books. Could easily be season 3 before we see him.

13 hours ago, Werthead said:

New trailer!

First look at the armoured bears and the daemons.

You mentioned how they might be changing the 5 season format. I was wondering about this and there could be a few scenarios at play where it might still be a 5 season plan.

1) might be they think book 1 only needs one season but the others need more? (Seems unlikely to me as i always felt book 1 covered a lot more than book 2)

2) relsted to 1. Maybe it is one book per season and season 4 and 5 follow "the book of dust" (where it follows chronologically)

3) the show was greenlit for season 2 already. Maybe they filmed them back to back and the trailer has elements of season 2 in it.

10 hours ago, red snow said:

You mentioned how they might be changing the 5 season format. I was wondering about this and there could be a few scenarios at play where it might still be a 5 season plan.

1) might be they think book 1 only needs one season but the others need more? (Seems unlikely to me as i always felt book 1 covered a lot more than book 2)

2) relsted to 1. Maybe it is one book per season and season 4 and 5 follow "the book of dust" (where it follows chronologically)

3) the show was greenlit for season 2 already. Maybe they filmed them back to back and the trailer has elements of season 2 in it.

1) and 2) may be possible (especially with Lyra turning 20 in The Secret Commonwealth, and Dafne Keen might be around that when they get to it) but I think 3) is not the case. Season 2 has not started filming yet.

5 hours ago, Werthead said:

1) and 2) may be possible (especially with Lyra turning 20 in The Secret Commonwealth, and Dafne Keen might be around that when they get to it) but I think 3) is not the case. Season 2 has not started filming yet.

Option 2 would be ideal. Like you say, the actor would be the right age to bridge the gaps between young teen and young adult.

As long as they don't rush through material, like some other fantasy shows have been guilty of, lately.

Archived