His Dark Materials Series

Seaworth'sShipmate

On 2/26/2019 at 4:38 AM, BigFatCoward said:

Ruth Wilson is perfect as Mrs Coulter. She's already shown she can change a character from hated to sympathetic in Luther. 

Ruth Wilson >>>>> Nicole Kidman for Mrs Coulter. I like Nicole Kidman a lot as an actor, but Ruth Wilson just works so well for this, at first blush. Just the first glimpse of her in the trailer made me excited for the series.

I also really love Clarke Peters, one of the best people in The Wire and he's never disappointed since.

And it's a BBC series. They do very good work. Killing Eve anyone?

I do have to say that in terms of the books I liked book one by far better than the other two and I'd say the series devolved a fair bit over just 3 books. But I always thought the whole story should be eminently adaptable to the screen. And who knows I might like the screen adaptation of book 3 more than I like the book, which would be quite a change up.

1 hour ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Ruth Wilson >>>>> Nicole Kidman for Mrs Coulter. I like Nicole Kidman a lot as an actor, but Ruth Wilson just works so well for this, at first blush. Just the first glimpse of her in the trailer made me excited for the series.

I also really love Clarke Peters, one of the best people in The Wire and he's never disappointed since.

And it's a BBC series. They do very good work. Killing Eve anyone?

I do have to say that in terms of the books I liked book one by far better than the other two and I'd say the series devolved a fair bit over just 3 books. But I always thought the whole story should be eminently adaptable to the screen. And who knows I might like the screen adaptation of book 3 more than I like the book, which would be quite a change up.

Just saw the trailer for the first time due to it showing after the GOT finale. So, I guess my question is, what is happening? I've only read book one. The show looked pretty good, but there was no torture going on and I just did not track it to the book I read.

It's a teaser with very little actual content. Mostly I see it as a quick intro to the main cast. Though I suppose they are holding back on the big CGI reveal of the Panserbjørne since 99% of the production budget will go into rendering those beasties. I don't see a name attached as the voice actor for any of the Panserbjørne characters.

11 hours ago, Martell Spy said:

Just saw the trailer for the first time due to it showing after the GOT finale. So, I guess my question is, what is happening? I've only read book one. The show looked pretty good, but there was no torture going on and I just did not track it to the book I read.

I thought it fairly easy to say “yep this is His Dark Materials.” Its only a brief glimpse so hard to identify exact scenes but things like the guillotine for the Bokvanger intercissiin procedure, the Svalbard ice bears etc are easy to spot

20 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

While I think the casting was one of the few things the film did well, I agree that Ruth Wilson does seem perfect for the role.

1 hour ago, williamjm said:

While I think the casting was one of the few things the film did well, I agree that Ruth Wilson does seem perfect for the role.

Yes, I probably shouldn't have used quite so many > symbols to indicate my enthusiasm for Wilson. The number I used implies that I think Nicole Kidman was bad for the role, which was not the case. She was a good casting for the role. Now though there are better options, even though Kidman would not be an objectionable casting today, if the film had never existed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This looks amazing.

They have the cast to do the books justice.  If this is just the first series will it end like The Northern Lights?  

Are they going to follow the books closely?  I hope they do - critics be damned (pun sort of intended).

This could be the series that replaces Game of Thrones in terms of awesome, gut-punching, internet-melting awesomeness.

Lee Scoresby is already coming across as charming and wonderful

3 hours ago, Mosi Mynn said:

This looks amazing.

They have the cast to do the books justice.  If this is just the first series will it end like The Northern Lights?  

Originally they said they were planning a five-season adaptation, so on that basis Season 1 wouldn't quite cover all of the first book. However, the trailer certainly makes it look like they're covering the whole of Northern Lights (aka The Golden Compass), especially with the balloon shot. Based on Will's casting for Season 2, they may have decided that three seasons was enough, and eight hours is more than enough to adapt Northern Lights faithfully (it's four times the length of the movie, after all).

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

The set design and costumes are first class!

Looks like they are prepared to handle the religious aspect as well, something I think the movie didn’t want to touch

I'm pleased they are handling the religious side, it was at the core of the books and the film pleased no-one with their on-the-fence approach.

It does look great. The daemon's look good as do the polar bears - maybe ever so slightly sub movie quality but this is a) still in development and b) excellent for a TV show.

Lee Scoresby feels a bit different to me. But that's probably a good way to go as for me Sam Elliot captured my head image of the character perfectly while reading the book. The casting in the film was actually good and this seems to have been maintained with the TV show.

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

Originally they said they were planning a five-season adaptation, so on that basis Season 1 wouldn't quite cover all of the first book. However, the trailer certainly makes it look like they're covering the whole of Northern Lights (aka The Golden Compass), especially with the balloon shot. Based on Will's casting for Season 2, they may have decided that three seasons was enough, and eight hours is more than enough to adapt Northern Lights faithfully (it's four times the length of the movie, after all).

Are they possibly still doing 5 but incorporating the Book of Dust? The Secret Commonwealth takes place after the original trilogy.

I think the Amber Spyglass will prove hardest to adapt. In fact I think all of the Mary Malone stuff will be tricky in terms of being complicated and difficult to hold viewer's attention. I'm personally very excited for that but but can see how it would make dull viewing

1 hour ago, red snow said:

The daemon's look good...[snip]

The casting in the film was actually good and this seems to have been maintained with the TV show.

Yeah, everyone/thing looks very good.  I love the look of Pan.  Adorable!  And that of all the actors.  Although I did also really like the casting in the film.  To this day when I reread the books I still picture Nicole Kidman and Daniel Craig.  They just looked perfect to me.  I'm sure I will grow to appreciate James McAvoy and Ruth Wilson once the new version is out, however.

• 1 month later...

Archived