His Dark Materials Series

Seaworth'sShipmate

• 2 weeks later...

A friend of mine posted on Facebook that she'd seen the first episode at a screening in London and liked it a lot, saying:

It was remarkable. It was convincing (even the daemons, which is a challenge). It was scary. It was dark. It was well paced. It was *very* well cast.

16 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Looking at the age she is now. Any sequel I.e. the secret commonwealth would have no problem casting Dafne Keen again as 20 year old Lyra. 

They're just about done on shooting Season 2, and if Season 3 gets the go order from HBO and the BBC based on the S1 ratings (which seems reasonable) they'll start production on that in the spring or summer, so timeframe-wise it seems to be working out.

It'll be interesting to see if HBO uses this model going forwards to eliminate the increasing gaps between seasons. Amazon have done that with a whole raft of their shows (Season 5 of The Expanse starts shooting in the next few days, and we don't get Season 4 on air for another two months) and it seems to be working so far.

I'm pretty excited for this now.

Although I'll admit that watching some of my friends talk about how they had readings from HDM at their wedding, how it is considered 'their bible' (lol, irony was intended) in their home, and how reading certain parts of it is JUST SO EMOTIONAL for them... a big part of me cannot help but ask: how can HDM have had a bigger impact on your life than LOTR or The Silmarillion? 

lol, one of them even said that they aren't able to really read fiction after reading HDM because it had such an effect on them.

26 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Most excited I've been for a show since ep 1 GOT.  It better not be fucking shite. Casting appears great, except not convinced aesthetically by Lee Scoresby or Serafina Pekkala. 

u wot, 8? LMM is gonna be great. 

We've been listening to the soundtrack while we were brewing today. Excite.

48 minutes ago, Isis said:

u wot, 8? LMM is gonna be great. 

We've been listening to the soundtrack while we were brewing today. Excite.

He might/probably will be, but he looks nothing like he is described, or my head. Not that it really matter that much. They pretty much nailed him in the film for me. 

Been a long time since I read the books (loved the 2nd and 3rd, 1st was ok for me), and even though I can barely remember the movie, I think the BBC adaptation is already a step above that.

I guess it being on the small screen allows the pacing to be improved, but even outside of that, everything just felt rich and warm, the tone felt good, I really liked pretty much all the casting and every performance was great. 

I'm hoping it gets a lot of attention and we get all of the books adapted, I don't want a repeat of what happened with the movies.

My only gripe would be, that in a show where the production values, casting and costume are all superb, the Gyptians look like they've been rounded up from a dodgy backstreet in Shoreditch, forgot to get changed and didn't bother with hair or makeup, and just kept the same accents. That was the one point in the show where I remembered I was watching the BBC.

I thought everything and everyone was fine. 

Baby Pan in the first scene was perfect and I'm all set to hate the golden monkey. 

It will remain to be seen whether this Lyra will top the Radio 4 adaptation performance though. I think she can. But let's see.

I thought it was a great beginning. I thought it moved at a good pace while still having time for more characterisation than the film had. The scenes with the assassination attempt and then Asriel presenting his findings were particularly compelling. I liked the interactions between Asriel and Lyra, it manages to show that Asriel does care about her but also shows the colder and more ruthless aspects of his personality. Ruth Wilson was also perfect as Mrs Coulter, not that I expected any different. They've done a good job with the daemons as well, I liked the little touches such as Lyra making sure Pan gets a good look at the alethiometer when she first gets it.

I also liked the new prologue with the nod to La Belle Sauvage, even if the scene is missing Malcolm and Alice - which is understandable since if they do want to adapt in future they don't want to cast them now.

Not many downsides, although it's a bit hard to really take adult characters saying the word Gobblers entirely seriously.

4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

He might/probably will be, but he looks nothing like he is described, or my head. Not that it really matter that much. They pretty much nailed him in the film for me. 

In some ways I'm starting to think it could be the right approach because Sam Elliot is so perfect for the role as shown in the books that maybe they should go a different way so it's not as easy to compare them.

1 hour ago, Triskele said:

On that note do we know if S1 = book 1 more or less?  

I think that's what their current plan is to do one season a book.

Fuck this.Waiting an entire 7 days to see the next instalment of something you know is going to be good?

No.Not falling for that one.

Except,of course,I am.

Loving it.Great to see Kevan,Jeor and Sallador too!

ETA I believe a thorough reread+ is indicated.

Archived