His Dark Materials Series

Seaworth'sShipmate

That one little moment with Lee and Hester, while he's talking to Lyra was everything. I can already see my heartbreak on the horizon. 

Still more interesting interaction between Mrs Coulter and her dæmon. Especially loved that bit where he went to hold her hand and she smacked his paw away. Fascinating stuff. 

So, I remembered Serafina's dæmon was called Kaiser but had forgotten what type of bird he was. Not sure why they changed that. Except maybe smaller birds are simpler to create on screen. 

2 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I loved LMM as Lee. And his dynamic with Hester was charming! 

Why change Kaisa from being a goose? :(

Iorek looked great, and loved the scene between Iofur and Coulter

I liked LMM's performance even if it feels less like the Scoresby of the books than Sam Elliot did. I agree the daemon/human interactions continue to be good.

The scene where Iorek tore through the town did manage to convey how big a physical threat he is.

2 hours ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

Lyra had a lot more personality in this one, which was good to see. The lack of daemons was a bit more obvious to me, especially in the bar fight. Lee, Hester and Iorek were all great.

Lyra is definitely more proactive than she's sometimes been in the previous episodes, her manipulation of Scoresby into helping was classic Lyra.

I agree the lack of daemons is sometimes distracting.

Ruth Wilson was excellent in her confrontation with the Magisterium, I think I've said that every episode so far and probably will do for every future episode as well.

I definitely agree with everyone saying that Lyra was acting with much more spark and personality this episode. I liked Iorek, but found the armour design a bit disappointing. It didn't seem quite as brutally intimidating as it should. I like LMM's portrayal of Lee Scoresby. Definitely different from the books, but it's working for me. Ruth Wilson continues to absolutely own the role.

15 hours ago, Liffguard said:

I definitely agree with everyone saying that Lyra was acting with much more spark and personality this episode. I liked Iorek, but found the armour design a bit disappointing. It didn't seem quite as brutally intimidating as it should. I like LMM's portrayal of Lee Scoresby. Definitely different from the books, but it's working for me. Ruth Wilson continues to absolutely own the role.

Iofur's armour was plenty intimidating.

15 hours ago, Isis said:

Also, the opening of this episode was brilliant. 

Yes! I knew from that scene that i was going to love LMM as Lee. And Hester was so damn perfect!

i must not think ahead, or i really will cry...

14 hours ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

I also really liked Pan’s arctic fox form. We’ve not seen a huge variety from him, but I think that was a new one.

Glad i wasn’t the only one who noticed! I agree, it was probably my favourite so far althouh the adorable mouse from episode 2 is a tough competitor

3 hours ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

Which will have been deliberate, given that Iofur has forgotten how to bear.

Or maybe not forgotten, but is trying to become more like humans.

Yeah i thought that scene was really well done (another one described retrospectively in the books, btw). Ruth Coulter (since she absolutely inhabits the role...) is the perfect amounts of wheedling charm and seductive temptress and the almost shy and uncomfortable portrayal of Iofur, like a timid child peering at a stranger around the door, was just pefect.

Looking forward to seeing Svalbard, assuming they kept enough budget for it!

The whole hut/village scene in next episodes preview looks absolutely haunting

Thoroughly enjoyed the fourth episode, I thought things really kicked into gear with the arrival of Iorek Byrnison and Lee Scoresby /Hester. There's more forward-movement in the plot now, after three episodes of scene-setting and worldbuilding.

From my initially lukewarm reception to the premiere, my investment in this adaption has improved with each episode. I think this episode benefitted from having no Anne-Marie Duff in it. Her turn as Ma Costa strikes me as the least effective casting.

I'm also pleased to say that Dafne Keen is acting like book Lyra now - a sharp-witted, adventurous fibber who consistently outsmarts the adults. She's got more of a spark going now, and some attitude, which I really wasn't seeing at the beginning.

Ruth Wilson - and I keep saying this like ground hog day - continues to steal the show as Mrs Coulter. She is magnetic in the role. What a fantastic character actress. Pitch-perfect casting and I do like how both mother and daughter were shown in this episode to be shrewder than everyone else (albeit Coulter in a disturbing, if superficially charming but really psychopathic way, whereas Lyra is doing it for genuinely good ends).

3 hours ago, Krishtotter said:

Thoroughly enjoyed the fourth episode, I thought things really kicked into gear with the arrival of Iorek Byrnison and Lee Scoresby /Hester. There's more forward-movement in the plot now, after three episodes of scene-setting and worldbuilding.

I agree wholly.

Also I watched ep 3 and 4 back-to-back, and get a whole lot more that way.  I dislike intensely watching a 'season' one week at a time.  So much momentum and other pleasure evaporates that way.  2 - 3 episodes at a time, until finishing, works so much better for me.

I read something yesterday about how Iorek and Lee became friends (pre HDM timeline). I've never read the novella, but I'm going to now. But apparently Lee in the TV show is channelling some of younger Lee. 

I thought that Lyra and Lee had great chemistry and that's part of why she's come to life a bit more now. 

20 minutes ago, Isis said:

I read something yesterday about how Iorek and Lee became friends (pre HDM timeline). I've never read the novella, but I'm going to now. But apparently Lee in the TV show is channelling some of younger Lee. 

I thought that Lyra and Lee had great chemistry and that's part of why she's come to life a bit more now. 

From what I remember (I read it 11 years ago), Once Upon a Time in the North was really good, and I’ve not thought about it before but the Lee presented here is more reminiscent of that younger Lee, who I think was more of a shit-stirrer.

1 hour ago, Triskele said:

Man, now we come to LMM.  I love this guy as a human being, and his Curb Your Enthusiasm episode made me love him more.  I sort of cringed at this episode with him.  The look is great, and very much my Lee Scoresby image.  And there's a twinkle there that LMM does as well as expected which feels key to the character to me.  But the accent (WTF is that accent) and the delivery of several lines not only didn't work but were borderline antithetical for me.  Like my post after the last episode I really want it to be otherwise...hoping this turns around.  

Yeah, i'm trying not to hate it but I think he just has missed the character completely.  Nobody could match Sam Elliot, but they could have done a hell of a lot better.

Were you pleased with the casting before you saw him in the role?

My thought was that if you're following from Sam Elliot in that role; you HAVE to do something different with the character, because you simply can't do the same thing better, and trying will get you roundly panned.

Of course, I'm still not sold.

Archived