His Dark Materials Series

Seaworth'sShipmate

On 12/3/2019 at 10:43 PM, dog-days said:

Really enjoyed the latest episode though not much to say about it. Book spoiler:

Hide contents

Lee Scoresby's fate is going to be pretty painful to watch when/if the TV show gets to it - must prepare the tissues. Wasn't sure about the actor/writing for the character at first, but I've warmed to both

Loved the introduction of Will's backstory. I hadn't been looking forward to it at all, but in fact I found it absolutely gripping. Nina Sosanya and Amir Wilson were perfect.  Kind of a pity that they cut the piano for boxing - it's got me thinking about men and male behavior in HDM. Do we meet any with artistic/creative gifts? Come to that, do we meet any artistic women either? I expect I'm missing someone really obvious. 

The only regret really is Anne-Marie Duff. She's such a fine actress in other things;* she/the writing just feel so off in this somehow. 

Actually that's not true. My other regret is the singing bit, which I skipped. Not faulting Lucian Msamati's fine voice, but the musical episode knocked me out of the moment quite heavily. I ended up skipping forward a minute to avoid the sledgehammer lugubriousness.  I blame music vids. They're infecting TV. 

*Well, I think she probably is - I've only seen her in The Way We Live Now back in 2001, and Suffragette (liked the film, but she had a fairly minor part in it). 

I just reread the Alamo chapter and it hurts to read it even more now as an adult than it ever did as a child. Am. Not. Ready! :( 

I really enjoyed the episode, thought it was pretty hilarious that Lee was told “it’s in your hands”, he loses Lyra in the next scene and then in the trailer for the next episode he gets told it’s up to someone else now.

I thought it was nice that they kept the snowball fight but made it a lot less ridiculous.

6 hours ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

I really enjoyed the episode, thought it was pretty hilarious that Lee was told “it’s in your hands”, he loses Lyra in the next scene and then in the trailer for the next episode he gets told it’s up to someone else now.

I thought it was nice that they kept the snowball fight but made it a lot less ridiculous.

There were occasional clunky moments, such as the scientists telling each other things they already know so that Lyra would know how to destroy the machine, but mostly it was a very good episode. Bolvangar had a very dystopian feel to it, and they did a good job of showing how horrific what they were doing there was. The reunion between Lyra and Mrs Coulter was another very effective scene, as was Mrs Coulter's look of outrage after Lyra escapes her. For all her ruthlessness, Mrs Coulter is still vulnerable to wanting to believe things that she wants to be true.

In the battle at the end Serafina seemed so deadly that I'm almost not sure the rest of them needed to be there.

The moment Coulter realizes that Lyra is in the machine and Lyra calling her "Mother" was phenomenally performed by Ruth Wilson. If I had any doubts up until now, I have none at the moment.

3 hours ago, williamjm said:

There were occasional clunky moments, such as the scientists telling each other things they already know so that Lyra would know how to destroy the machine, but mostly it was a very good episode. Bolvangar had a very dystopian feel to it, and they did a good job of showing how horrific what they were doing there was. The reunion between Lyra and Mrs Coulter was another very effective scene, as was Mrs Coulter's look of outrage after Lyra escapes her. For all her ruthlessness, Mrs Coulter is still vulnerable to wanting to believe things that she wants to be true.

In the battle at the end Serafina seemed so deadly that I'm almost not sure the rest of them needed to be there.

Agreed all around. Another addition from the books that worked well was having the severed children show up as well as the demons. Pretty horrific.

The whole look and feel of the place put me in mind of a concentration camp and i don’t think that was accidental.

the music was fantastic and chilling this episode.

Ruth Wilson was just outstanding. Seriously can’t say enough about her performance in this series. I also thought the cliff ghast attack was really well done, there was a real feeling of fear and tension built up there.

i guess the only kind of negative thing i would note is how jarring it was seeing Dafne Keen’s Lyra with all the other children who we so obviously much younger than her

Excellent acting, atmosphere and direction, although the pacing definitely feels off. Eight hours to do Northern Lights, even with some Subtle Knife foreshadowing thrown in, was too much. Six would have made for a punchier show. And they need to stop this talk of The Amber Spyglass being twelve episodes right now. That would kill it stone dead.

The lack of daemons has been discussed before, but it really hurt this episode. Some of the kids had daemons but most didn't, and apart from the chief scientist and the Tartars on the walls with their dogs I don't think any of the guards had any visible ones either. It made moments like the nurse who'd been severed completely misfire, because the fact she was walking around without a daemon didn't seem remarkable, as almost no-one else is either. The scientist Ma Costa killed never had his daemon visible at all, from what I can tell. In fact, have we even seen Ma Costa's daemon?

Season 1 was apparently funded by the BBC alone (HBO didn't sign on until they were well into production), so hopefully the HBO money will be spent on getting this right in the future seasons.

18 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

The whole look and feel of the place put me in mind of a concentration camp and i don’t think that was accidental.

I agree that was probably deliberate. They've also got the whole 'banality of evil' thing going on by showing the staff relaxing over drinks as if they're just doing a normal job.

15 minutes ago, Werthead said:

The lack of daemons has been discussed before, but it really hurt this episode. Some of the kids had daemons but most didn't, and apart from the chief scientist and the Tartars on the walls with their dogs I don't think any of the guards had any visible ones either. It made moments like the nurse who'd been severed completely misfire, because the fact she was walking around without a daemon didn't seem remarkable, as almost no-one else is either. The scientist Ma Costa killed never had his daemon visible at all, from what I can tell. In fact, have we even seen Ma Costa's daemon?

Season 1 was apparently funded by the BBC alone (HBO didn't sign on until they were well into production), so hopefully the HBO money will be spent on getting this right in the future seasons.

I agree it does reduce the impact when the lack of a daemon is meant to be such a serious thing. I wonder if it might be particularly confusing for viewers not familiar with the previous versions of the story because it might be easy to miss the point that all humans should have daemons.

Unfortunately it's probably season 1 where the lack of daemons is the biggest problem, since a large part of the later seasons take place in the other worlds.

4 hours ago, Werthead said:

It would be nice if they could do a special edition for blu-ray with extra daemons added throughout, though that's probably a bit much to hope for.

The lack of daemons in the other worlds has a lot to do with my ever diminishing interest in the books as they came along.  Nothing was as interesting after the first volume and its events. The author was also ever less interested in Lyra ... the girl ... though she's the chosen one.  But then it's been a very long time since I read the books.

Still, even in the HBO series, the deeper into Lyra's world we go the more interesting it is.  The other ones, well, shrug.  But that may be just me.

It seems we are seeing Paul Atreides everywhere too!  HBO's Watchmen, Dr M is everywhere and every time all at once; in Dark Materials Lyra does a version of the Litany Against Fear.  But her litany, which is she and her daemon working together, in a horrific situation, is really good.  Or is that just me?

Bit late to this thread. This show has been like night and day compared to the dusty dried up turd that was the movie.  It's around 12 years since I read the books but much like the series has been, it took a little while to sink its claws in and become compelling viewing/reading.  Really enjoying it I must say.

Coulter and Lysa's actresses are perfect. Even though we haven't seen him much, McEvoy looks a good choice for Asreal. Not sold on Scoresby or Faa's.  Completely forgot about Billy clutching the fish and wish they had kept it... it wouldn't hurt to reinforce the importance of daemons, which, as people have mentioned are too conspicuously absent from secondary and background characters

Finally, I was 99% certain Iorek was voiced by Ser Friendzone/Jorah and was shocked when I looked it up on wiki the other day, he sounds just like him!

18 hours ago, Zorral said:

It seems we are seeing Paul Atreides everywhere too!  HBO's Watchmen, Dr M is everywhere and every time all at once; in Dark Materials Lyra does a version of the Litany Against Fear.  But her litany, which is she and her daemon working together, in a horrific situation, is really good.  Or is that just me?

I was also reminded of Dune when Lyra was talking to herself when walking towards the cabin Billy Costa was in.

18 hours ago, dooog said:

Bit late to this thread. This show has been like night and day compared to the dusty dried up turd that was the movie.  It's around 12 years since I read the books but much like the series has been, it took a little while to sink its claws in and become compelling viewing/reading.  Really enjoying it I must say.

Coulter and Lysa's actresses are perfect. Even though we haven't seen him much, McEvoy looks a good choice for Asreal. Not sold on Scoresby or Faa's.  Completely forgot about Billy clutching the fish and wish they had kept it... it wouldn't hurt to reinforce the importance of daemons, which, as people have mentioned are too conspicuously absent from secondary and background characters

Finally, I was 99% certain Iorek was voiced by Ser Friendzone/Jorah and was shocked when I looked it up on wiki the other day, he sounds just like him!

Intentional or no, I rate this pun 9/10, would use again

Characters are ranked in status by whether we see them with Daemons. A character who is an extra, without any lines, doesn't rank a daemon because:

Daemons / dire wolves > MONUMENTAL MULTIPLE BUDGET LINE$

Archived