His Dark Materials Series

Seaworth'sShipmate

Looking pretty solid. Wonder if it was a good idea not to show the Mulefa or not.

Not shown in the trailer, but Terence Stamp is in the second season, alongside Andrew Scott.

5 hours ago, Werthead said:

Looking pretty solid. Wonder if it was a good idea not to show the Mulefa or not.

Not shown in the trailer, but Terence Stamp is in the second season, alongside Andrew Scott.

Very excited by that!

Mulefa would be later, I assume - Mary has to do various bits in Oxford and then travel to their world first. Unless you have seen somewhere that its confirmed we get that far?

Love the look of Citigazze and the Tower of Angels. Pretty close to what I envisaged in my mind

Phoebe Waller Bridge will be voicing Hot Priest’s daemon...

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

Where's McAvoy?

Well if there was a season for him to sot out it would be this one. He doesn’t have a great deal to do. Could easily show up in a later trailer though

Asriel doesn’t reappear on page until The Amber Spyglass, so I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s not in this season at all. The Mulefa also don’t appear until the last book. They’re doing 3 seasons, right? As this one just seems to cover the Subtle Knife it makes sense to do one per season. Though I’m sure I’ve read at some point they were doing 5, which would seem like madness.

Looking forward to this!

2 hours ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

Asriel doesn’t reappear on page until The Amber Spyglass, so I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s not in this season at all. The Mulefa also don’t appear until the last book. They’re doing 3 seasons, right? As this one just seems to cover the Subtle Knife it makes sense to do one per season. Though I’m sure I’ve read at some point they were doing 5, which would seem like madness.

Looking forward to this!

I think they might keep Asriel just to remind us who he is. They could easily show some scenes of him building his army. He also kind of appears when Ruta Skadi is telling the witches of her journey to him with the angels and asks them to join him. It's just told second hand but it's a way to give him a quick scene.

Also confused on the number of seasons. Five only makes sense now if they do Book of Dust I think. Maybe it was just a tentative figure?

12 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Where's McAvoy?

Apparently cut.

They had written a special one-off episode which was all about Asriel in the Season 2 timeframe, but due to McAvoy's availability they hadn't shot it with the rest of Season 2. They were going to shoot it as its own thing in the spring add it onto Season 2 later on, but obviously pandemic. They're now considering shooting it before Season 3 or just dropping the idea, because ultimately it was only really there to remind viewers that Asriel was a thing before he comes back strong in the final season(s).

I think I briefly saw McAvoy in the trailer, so it might be they did shoot some extra scenes with him, but his showcase episode is now gone.

40 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Apparently cut.

They had written a special one-off episode which was all about Asriel in the Season 2 timeframe, but due to McAvoy's availability they hadn't shot it with the rest of Season 2. They were going to shoot it as its own thing in the spring add it onto Season 2 later on, but obviously pandemic. They're now considering shooting it before Season 3 or just dropping the idea, because ultimately it was only really there to remind viewers that Asriel was a thing before he comes back strong in the final season(s).

I think I briefly saw McAvoy in the trailer, so it might be they did shoot some extra scenes with him, but his showcase episode is now gone.

Thanks.

On balance, I'm erring towards the idea that it's a good thing it's gone. An Asriel-focused episode has the potential to be absolutely fantastic - but only if the writers are at the top of their game. I liked Season 1 of HDM with reservations, but I'm still not sure I'd trust the creative team to make that kind of extra content with pacing and flare. 

On the bright side, it looks as if we may not have to wait aeons for Season 2. I was worried that Covid had torpedo'd it. 

5 hours ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

I think early on in the development of the show there was a suggestion that it could be 5 seasons but I think the plan has been 3 seasons for a while now. I think that's the right choice if they're just doing HDM. The only way more seasons would make sense would be if they were doing the Book of Dust as well and that doesn't seem to be planned at the moment.

• 5 weeks later...

Huh, don't know if she was visible in the trailer or not but Bella Ramsey (Lyanna Mormont in GOT) is Angelica. Nice, very talented young girl, enjoyed her performance in spite of the character. 

I'm currently rewatching the first season, really enjoying it. Works well watching in succession and not waiting a week between episodes.

Still not sure what went wrong with Ma Costa. Anne Marie Duff is great in other stuff but this was a flop for me, except in the reaction to Billy

I really hope that with the limited television slate that HBO will show this on Sunday, rather than Monday (like season 1)... as I have band practice on Monday nights...lol... really looking forward to this though... HDM reminds me of Black Sails insofar as it took me a few episodes for me to warm up to it, and now it's among my favorites... 

On 8/22/2020 at 10:35 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

Still not sure what went wrong with Ma Costa. Anne Marie Duff is great in other stuff but this was a flop for me, except in the reaction to Billy

Agreed. She didn't do anything for me either. Shame.

She had one happy scene with Lyra that I liked, when they were playing with some kind of explosive powder, but yes - she didn't work for me. A pity. I love her as an actress. I really regret not seeing her as Joan of Arc back in 2007. 

A lot of things didn't work for me in the first season, but still it all managed to come together into a great final episode. And even though a lot of things didn't work, I still watched it religiously every week. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived