His Dark Materials Series

Seaworth'sShipmate

5 hours ago, Poobah said:

I'm really enjoying it, though as someone local to Oxford I'm acutely aware of how un-Oxford some of these places that are supposed to be in Oxford are.

Obviously neither Oxford is the one in our universe, though Will's is rather closer than Lyra's. B)

7 hours ago, Werthead said:

It's always been a bit slow. The first two books are relatively short, you don't need eight hours apiece for them, although you probably do for The Amber Spyglass (which I'm pretty convinced is going to be hugely changed for TV). I think at five or six hours the first season would have been tightened up quite nicely. It also sounds like they've settled on one season for Book 3, which is the right move.

This season looks like they've come up with more organic ways of filling the time out with material that we heard about in the books but didn't see directly on-screen, which is a good move as it also keeps the other actors engaged.

I’m pretty sure it said that there are 10 episodes for season 2, which probably means they’re going to start the Amber Spyglass, though I don’t remember seeing any hints of that in the trailer.

2 hours ago, Stannis Eats No Peaches said:

I’m pretty sure it said that there are 10 episodes for season 2, which probably means they’re going to start the Amber Spyglass, though I don’t remember seeing any hints of that in the trailer.

Wiki says 7, and it has the episode names so I assume it's fairly accurate. 

10 hours ago, dog-days said:

As someone who lived in Cardiff, I've enjoyed marvelling at how much it doesn't look like Oxford...

Cardiff standing in for my home town in Doctor Who was quite embarrassing. It looked nothing like it.

56 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Cardiff standing in for my home town in Doctor Who was quite embarrassing. It looked nothing like it.

Be proud. Cardiff's great. Everywhere should look like Cardiff.* 

I wonder if we'll see Lord Asriel at all this series, since they cut his episode? 

* But not like Splott or Adamsdown. 

8 minutes ago, Denvek said:

Wouldn't surprise me. I don't think he appears at all in the book.

Yeah. Book half-remembered maybe spoilers below:

Spoiler

I seem to recall that Asriel and Lyra didn't really meet properly again after Northern Lights? Mrs Coulter tends to Lyra when she's injured, but again I don't think we actually see much in the way of conversation between them. Always thought that was a pity. It felt as if something needed to be there and wasn't. I really need to do a reread. 

Maybe part 3 of The Book of Dust will bring Lyra some resolution as far as her parents are concerned. Though not sure how, since both are long dead. 

Anyway, I'm sure that series 3 of HDM will try and engineer a dramatic reunion. 

On 11/16/2020 at 9:24 PM, BigFatCoward said:

Dr Malone is perfectly cast 

Years ago there was a radio 4 full cast adaptation of the series (which I loved) and this version of Mary Malone is better than that version. Something I doubted I'd ever say. 

On 11/16/2020 at 10:12 PM, Maltaran said:

I think the Magisterium stuff was because they felt they had to give Ruth Wilson something to do.

I don’t remember Will’s grandparents being in the book?

It's be a while since I read The Subtle Knife but I don't remember them either. I suspect we're not going to see them again in the TV series so it may just have been for that one scene.

On 11/16/2020 at 9:24 PM, BigFatCoward said:

Dr Malone is perfectly cast 

The casting has mostly been excellent in the series.

21 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Did anyone else think that the brief face off in episode 1 between Lyra and Angelica was the writers/director giving a subtle nod to Game of Thrones? If I remember correctly Dafne Keen auditioned for the role of Lyanna Mormont.

I thought it was Millie Bobby Brown who auditioned for Lady Mormont, unless Dafne Keen auditioned as well.

33 minutes ago, Dragon in the North said:

I thought it was Millie Bobby Brown who auditioned for Lady Mormont, unless Dafne Keen auditioned as well.

You might be right. I could have sworn I saw somewhere that Keen auditioned, didn't get it, and then went on to make Logan. Maybe it was Brown who then went on to make Stranger Things.

Thought that was a strong episode - I was disappointed when the credits rolled. I ready to sit there for another fifty minutes easily. When I glimpsed a trailer for last night's episode, I thought it looked a bit weak, and instead ended up being pleased by how the paths of different characters started intersecting. 

The daemons stole the show - they're so much better this series. Hester and the golden monkey in particular, but also Hester and the lemur daemon too. The camera watched their reactions, so we could see what Lee and Dr Healy (Angus Wright) weren't showing. 

4 hours ago, dog-days said:

The daemons stole the show - they're so much better this series. Hester and the golden monkey in particular, but also Hester and the lemur daemon too. The camera watched their reactions, so we could see what Lee and Dr Healy (Angus Wright) weren't showing. 

It definitely looks like the production value is up. The BBC funded HDM by themselves for Season 1 and then HBO came on board partway through the season and it looks like they injected more cash into the series still.

16 hours ago, dog-days said:

Thought that was a strong episode - I was disappointed when the credits rolled. I ready to sit there for another fifty minutes easily. When I glimpsed a trailer for last night's episode, I thought it looked a bit weak, and instead ended up being pleased by how the paths of different characters started intersecting. 

The scene with Lee and Mrs Coulter was very good as well. Of course, Ruth Wilson has been good in pretty much every scene she's been in but I think it was Lin Manuel Miranda's best episode so far as well. I also liked the scene in the car where Lyra gets increasingly frantic as it accelerates away from Pan, in other circumstance leaving the alethiometer behind would be extremely careless but it makes sense that her entire focus would be on the risk of being separated from her daemon.

Archived