His Dark Materials Series

Seaworth'sShipmate

4 hours ago, Isis said:

This continues to be incredibly good. That golden monkey is so, so horrible. 

I spent most of the books swearing at that bloody monkey.

I was very worried when he had hold of Hester in this episode.

Spoiler

I'm sure Pan is beuatiful when he settles as a pine marten, but I found it a bit disconcerting that his fur was described as being a similar colour to the monkey's.

On 11/24/2020 at 12:23 AM, williamjm said:

The scene with Lee and Mrs Coulter was very good as well. Of course, Ruth Wilson has been good in pretty much every scene she's been in but I think it was Lin Manuel Miranda's best episode so far as well. I also liked the scene in the car where Lyra gets increasingly frantic as it accelerates away from Pan, in other circumstance leaving the alethiometer behind would be extremely careless but it makes sense that her entire focus would be on the risk of being separated from her daemon.

Yes - I liked LMM better here as Lee more than I did as Hamilton. He really delivered the goods.

Spoiler

Though now I really am worried about the end of this season. It's going to be brutal. 

And also thought the scene in the car was very sinister. Kudos to Ariyon Bakare - he's so good at being affably evil, as it were, and suggesting a kind of calculating intelligence behind the suavity.  Even if his character is fairly one-dimensional, the acting lifts it. 

Loved the chase through 'Oxford' too. (Apparently parts of the show really were filmed in Oxford. It wasn't all Cardiff. I'll have to rewatch at some point and pay more attention to the locations.) 

45 minutes ago, dog-days said:

Loved the chase through 'Oxford' too. (Apparently parts of the show really were filmed in Oxford. It wasn't all Cardiff. I'll have to rewatch at some point and pay more attention to the locations.) 

Yeah some of it is recognisably Oxford, and some is very recognisably not at all Oxford (at least to those of us familiar with the town).

2 hours ago, dog-days said:

Hide contents

And also thought the scene in the car was very sinister. Kudos to Ariyon Bakare - he's so good at being affably evil, as it were, and suggesting a kind of calculating intelligence behind the suavity.  Even if his character is fairly one-dimensional, the acting lifts it. 

There really are a lot of high level performances in this show. It's almost easy to forget that - as we are so busy looking at all the the other stuff (story adaptation, location, daemons, effects, music, costumes, etc). Sometimes, when you don't notice something it's because it's being done so well that it feels effortless. 

Archived