Latecomer to Breaking Bad - just binged watched the entire series..my thoughts..

Free Northman Reborn

That makes it worse though. Walt screws Jesse over consistently, despite the fact that he likes him. Jesse is a much truer friend to Walt than vice-versa, despite being a junkie. Walt doesn't even have that excuse. And I'm saying that as someone who ultimately likes Walt. I rooted for him for much longer than I probably had a right to.

Walt is not so straightforward a character that he can be pigeon-holed as "evil" (or not). He's prideful and bitter - certainly not without reason. He's dealt a bad hand in life and feels he has nothing more to show for it than his family. I do think he genuinely starts out with the intentions of providing for them and leaving a legacy of sorts. He's not especially ruthless at the beginning - but as it becomes more about him and his empire-building that changes. I think he is genuinely devastated by the "loss" of his family at the end. Part of that is because Walt is not a "team player" and doesn't know how to forge let alone maintain bonds of loyalty. He may be in the "empire" business but apart from Jesse (sometimes) he cannot maintain an organization. He alienates Gus and Mike in turn. He may be able to get by on his smarts, but at the end he's out of allies. 

Jane was a major turning point because up to that point he hadn't been able to make such a singularly ruthless decision. He crosses certain lines then crosses them again and goes farther. 

Anyway, I still haven't seen much of The Wire, though I didn't really find myself getting into the first couple of sides. What is something of a revelation is Better Call Saul which is a much quieter, simpler, more character-driven (as opposed to plot-driven) show. 

Archived