Tywin in the privy

Light a wight tonight

I recently read a good argument against the "Tywin build the tunnel" theory. If Tywin had the tunnel build, why alienate Chataya by having Alayaya whipped? In addition, how would Tywin had had that tunnel build? By the time Joanna died, Aerys was already rather paranoid about Tywin. 

The situation was very different between the time the tunnel was built and the time Alayaya was whipped. The need for the tunnel may well have decreased by then, for various reasons, or simply Tywin felt that the need for punishment outweighed the convenience of the tunnel. Chataya didn't have the only bordello in King's Landing, after all, and the need for secrecy may have disappeared.

To answer the objections that the plan was shaky or overly complex, it was not necessarily crucial that it succeed, just a low-risk gamble with a high potential payoff. If it didn't work, no big deal. If it did, Tywin's dead and the Imp, who has left the country, is implicated, with no dirt on Varys's hands.

And remember, Varys directs Tyrion to the Hand's apartments, even to the number of rungs he must climb to get to the right level. Sounds like some thought went into it.

To answer the objections that the plan was shaky or overly complex, it was not necessarily crucial that it succeed, just a low-risk gamble with a high potential payoff. If it didn't work, no big deal. If it did, Tywin's dead and the Imp, who has left the country, is implicated, with no dirt on Varys's hands.

And remember, Varys directs Tyrion to the Hand's apartments, even to the number of rungs he must climb to get to the right level. Sounds like some thought went into it.

OR Tyrion is caught by Twin and squeals on Varys and he loses his head.

Seem like a High Risk gamble

Tywin could have had the tunnel but before Joanna's death. They spent most of their marriage apart you know. So while Tywin might have loved his wife maybe he did not consider meaningless sex with prostitutes that bad when she was not around. And maybe Tywin turned to Shae because he had alienated Chataya. He would not prioritize using whores above punishing Tyrion through Alayaya.

This theory about Varys planning Tyrion to kill Tywin is something I have always disliked. The only point seems to Varys get Tyrion completely turn against his family but that pretty much had happened already with being sentenced to death. And Tyrion was not confirmed to have the person who killed Tywin anyway, you would think people were certain but they were not, so getting Tyrion have the blame did not happen either.

Considering how much Tywin apparently loved Joanna, I can't say I can see him cheating on her. Even if they spend quite some time apart. 

The situation was very different between the time the tunnel was built and the time Alayaya was whipped. The need for the tunnel may well have decreased by then, for various reasons, or simply Tywin felt that the need for punishment outweighed the convenience of the tunnel. Chataya didn't have the only bordello in King's Landing, after all, and the need for secrecy may have disappeared.

Tywin cares very much about how his family comes across. He was greatly angered by the fact that his father had allowed their house to become so laughable, and clearly greatly offended by his father's mistresses. And I take it that his mislike of Tyrion's whoring has the same origin. Considerign all that, if he felt like he needed a woman's company, he'd be in need of secrecy.

And no, Chataya did not have the only brother in KL. She did have the only brothel connected to a secret tunnel, though.

Considering how much Tywin apparently loved Joanna, I can't say I can see him cheating on her. Even if they spend quite some time apart. 

Tywin cares very much about how his family comes across. He was greatly angered by the fact that his father had allowed their house to become so laughable, and clearly greatly offended by his father's mistresses. And I take it that his mislike of Tyrion's whoring has the same origin. Considerign all that, if he felt like he needed a woman's company, he'd be in need of secrecy.

And no, Chataya did not have the only brother in KL. She did have the only brothel connected to a secret tunnel, though.

IMO, Tywin had more pressing issues than his family's reputation at this time. Little things like a war, for one. And his only objection to Tyrion whoring was his worry that Tyrion would become overly attached to a particular whore and that she'd flout her position publicly, something that Shae was creeping up on.

Archived