Mistakes/Contradictions in the books?

Magnar of Skagos

The Yunkai'i,roughly a year after Dany freed their slaves find themselves with slave armies intact and moreover bred for specific effects, one among them a sixteen year old girl, which unless the slaves have the lifespans of rabbits is rather impossible. 

It could have been covered easily with a very plausible comment that the emancipation  wasn't as complete as it was supposed to and that the girl bought the slaves rathet than bred them, but ...

In AGoT, Pycelle enumerates the kings under which he has served:

Under our good King Robert, and Aerys Targaryen before him, and his father Jaehaerys the Second before him, and even for a few short months under Jaehaerys’s father, Aegon the Fortunate, the Fifth of His Name.

Pycelle doesn't call him Aegon the Unlikely. Probably that name was a later addition, when GRRM finished the genealogies he already had written this chapter and it was overlooked. 

• 1 month later...
On 12.12.2015 at 8:49 PM, The Sleeper said:

The Yunkai'i,roughly a year after Dany freed their slaves find themselves with slave armies intact and moreover bred for specific effects, one among them a sixteen year old girl, which unless the slaves have the lifespans of rabbits is rather impossible. 

It could have been covered easily with a very plausible comment that the emancipation  wasn't as complete as it was supposed to and that the girl bought the slaves rathet than bred them, but ...

Didn't the Yunkai'i recapture a lot of the slaves that didn't get away fast enough?

When Storm's End's grasp upon the riverlands was finally shattered, it was no riverlord who broke it but a rival conqueror from beyond the lands of the Trident: Harwyn Hoare, called the Hardhand, King of the Iron Islands. Crossing Ironman's Bay with a hundred longships, Harwyn's force landed forty leagues south of Seagard and marched inland to the Blue Fork, carrying their ships with them on their shoulders in a feat the singers of the isles still celebrate.

Harwyn assembled a host and led it across the bay on a hundred of his father's longships. Landing unchallenged north of Seagard, they carried their ships overland to the Blue Fork of the Trident, then swept downstream with fire and sword.

This bugs me. I spotted it on my first re-read of TWOIAF, and it's been killing me ever since. I don't even know why it bothers me so much.

• 2 weeks later...

Even with Galbart Glover’s wife, the pious Lady Sybelle, he had been correct and courteous but plainly uncomfortable.

(ADwD, Ch.42 The King's Prize)

GALBART GLOVER, Master of Deepwood Motte, unwed,

ROBETT GLOVER, his brother and heir,

Robett’s wife, SYBELLE of House Locke,

(ADwD, Appendix)

On December 12, 2015 at 1:49 PM, The Sleeper said:

I just assumed that the emancipation was not complete, and that the most powerful nobles were able to keep hold of their slave armies - maybe sent them somewhere else for a while.  In fact, wasn't there text saying that not all the slaves left the city?

In AGOT, Jaime tells Cersei that they ought to be glad Robert didn't choose his brothers or worst of all Littlefinger to be Hand. However, in AFFC he muses about how LF would make a perfect Hand since he's clever and can't threaten anybody.

2 hours ago, redtree said:

Size of westeros, if the wall is really 300 miles long then there's no way Westeros is the size of South America. More like 1/3 of it

but where does it say that Westeros is the size of South America?

57 minutes ago, Walda said:

but where does it say that Westeros is the size of South America?

February 07, 1999

Some readers have likened Westeros to England because they see some general similarities in its shape, and in its location off the west coast of a larger landmass. The latter is true enough (I don't see the former, myself), but Westeros is much much MUCH bigger than Britain. More the size (though not the shape, obviosuly) of South America, I'd say.

6 hours ago, Joy Hill said:

In AGOT, Jaime tells Cersei that they ought to be glad Robert didn't choose his brothers or worst of all Littlefinger to be Hand. However, in AFFC he muses about how LF would make a perfect Hand since he's clever and can't threaten anybody.

Is that really a mistake or could it be either a nuanced or evolved opinion by Jaime's character? 

3 hours ago, redtree said:

Size of westeros, if the wall is really 300 miles long then there's no way Westeros is the size of South America. More like 1/3 of it

The George has a big problem with scale throughout the book (check size of Grest Pyramid and number of coins Sandor had stuffed in his pockets). But, heh, it's a fantasy. 

Archived